What are the essential books on personal defense?

This is a discussion on What are the essential books on personal defense? within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to start reading more and one of my focuses is going to be books on personal defense. The first book I'm going to ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By BeastOfBurden
  • 3 Post By G26Raven
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By ButtShot14
  • 2 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By Risasi

Thread: What are the essential books on personal defense?

I need to start reading more and one of my focuses is going to be books on personal defense. The first book I'm going to start with is Jeff Cooper's Principles Of Personal Defense, which I've heard many times over is essential. What else is essential to add to the personal defense library?
    halem1 and bmcgilvray like this.

There are lots of books that are pretty good, and I am sure you will hear many varied opinions. I personally like all of the following:
    All of the titles by Massad Ayoob
    The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning
    Essential Guid to Handguns
    Combative Fundamentals
    Stay in the Fight

Etc., etc.
    bmcgilvray, Old Man and Manster like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Senior Moderator
    In the Gravest Extreme by Mas Ayoob. The sections and comments on hardware are dated (mid-late 80s), the content on the moral, ethical and legal use of deadly force for self defense are timeless.

Thank God I Had a Gun
    by Chris Bird is more expository than instructional, but the situations described are mostly ones we all could be exposed to

Defensive Shooting for Real-Life Encounters by Ralph Mroz - while not a classic, has a lot of good info to help round out your knowledge.

Just a few that come to mind.
    bmcgilvray and wmhawth like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Read and watch anything by Mas Ayoob.
    Risasi likes this.

For guns and comprehensive prepping, I would say anything by Grant Cunningham. He is a trainer and master gunsmith who also has a degree in Emergency Management. He takes a very "average Joe" practical approach to the topic. Two of his books deal with revolvers, including snubbies, which you don't see from a lot of authors.

For hand-to-hand, anything by Rory Miller. He is a career corrections officer who used to average a fight a day with hardened criminals in maximum security prisons. He is a bit hard to read, his writing style doesn't flow well, but the information is solid.
    Risasi and G26Raven like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Claude Werner - https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

Greg Ellifritz has also put together a pretty good list: https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...mended-reading

I would also suggest Col. Dave Grossman's books, particularly; "On Killing" and "On Combat".
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    https://www.texasarchive.org/library...ing_Techniques
    The must have bookó Street Survival:Tactics for Armed Encounters-was based on this film.

Principles of Personal Defense, by Jeff Cooper. The above referenced works by Ayoob and Cunningham are also great.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Ayoob often mentioned. Cooper at his training facility had guest instructors. Ayoob was a guest instructor and never asked back by Cooper. Apparently Cooper did not like Ayoob's methodology. Ayoob later on waited till Cooper's health and mental faculties had diminished and paid Cooper a visit in order to restore his reputation which he wrote an article of that apparently he and Cooper apparently agreed to disagree but maintain civility.

I started and finished reading Jeff Cooper's Principles Of Personal Defense today. It's short, again I finished reading it the very day I started it, and the only reason it took me as long to finish it was because I got a nap in too. But it's a pretty good book! It may have been written quite a while back, but there's really nothing dated about it at all. As a matter of fact you could even say it's more relevant now since the sociopaths Cooper speaks of only seem to be more frequent going by the news reports these days. It's not a book about tactics, but rather mindset. Everyone should read it at least once.

Sponsored Links