"Keep and Bear" Movie

"Keep and Bear" Movie

This is a discussion on "Keep and Bear" Movie within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. This documentary has been out since 2017 and was produced by Amazon Prime. I ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 8 Post By jmf552
  • 3 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By RedSafety
  • 3 Post By airslot
  • 2 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By jmf552

Thread: "Keep and Bear" Movie

"Keep and Bear" Movie

This may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. This documentary has been out since 2017 and was produced by Amazon Prime. I also think you can watch it on YouTube.

I think everyone should see this movie! I think it is a perfect movie to get non-gun or slightly anti-gun people to watch. The setup is this: A film maker from California decides to move his family to rural Idaho. When they get there, he realizes that he has moved from a place where no one has guns to an area where everyone does. He philosophically supports 2A, but he has never touched a gun in his life and he admits to being scared of guns. But he also realizes that living in a rural area has some challenges that might require a gun.

So he decides to find out all about guns and do a documentary film about his discovery process. What I like about it is:
    • It is really well done as a documentary: Good cinematography, good scripting, good storytelling.
    • It does get a little anti-left-wing political, but to me it did not come across as a "pro-gun" propaganda piece, even though it winds up being pro-gun.
    • The film seems very genuine as an innocent, but curious and intelligent, discovery of guns and the culture around guns. It's like he is not starting out trying to make a pro-gun statement, but that's where he winds up after learning the facts.

FWIW, he and his wife do wind up getting training and buying an AR, a Ruger .357 and a Bodyguard .380.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Looks very interesting, thanks.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Type in Keep and Bear. It's the first Amazon Prime video.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Couldn't find it on you tube, any idea what the guys name is from California that made it? Might help in the search.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Couldn't find it on you tube, any idea what the guys name is from California that made it? Might help in the search.
    His name is Darren Doane. I didn't find it on Youtube either. I think it may only be available on Amazon Prime. "Keep and Bear"
    AzQkr, SatCong and OD* like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    It was pretty good, worth the time.
    AzQkr and airslot like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

The instructor is a little hard for me. Always carry? Nope, MY decision when to carry. I do agree with his reasoning about never knowing when danger will present itself, but there are times that carrying is NOT going to happen for one reason or another. One is when Iím going to court. Iím NOT going to pull off my shoulder holster in the car or pull the pistol from my cut if Iím riding. Iím not going to expose my weapon to the public and let the bad guy know thereís a weapon in my car or in my saddlebag.

As far as the trainer saying he can shoot the woman who weighs half as much as he does if she attacks based on a bizarre situation with a huge 7th degree black belt getting slashed up in 15 seconds. His reasoning lacks one vital test, is it reasonable to assume the threat is dangerous. Unless thereís something serious he didnít mention in his scenario, itís not reasonable to assume an empty handed woman suddenly attacking him is a serious threat to a reasonable person. Thatíll take O.J.ís team of attorneys to make that kind of defense work.

What kind of pistol is that? He seems to be able to keep pulling the trigger and the firing pin keeps striking (or sounds like it) without racking the gun.

Nice handling training. He handles the .22 rather well. Also interesting comment about focus and relaxing. I mention that a lot in my light sci-fi series. The main character uses slow, focused target shooting for relaxing, tuning out problems and letting the solution appear in her mind.

First guy he talks to seems to have a hero complex, heís there to save the day. Ehh. I do like the one womanís comment, admitting she doesnít really know what would happen in a dangerous situation, but hopes she could respond appropriately.

Itís good he wanted to shoot a variety of guns, not just pick something that looks good and feels good in the hand. One shot from one such gun was enough to tell me ďNO!Ē

I like how she says maybe if it was heavier. She understood recoil.

Mostly good, but a few questionable points. Especially liked the truth about the AR-15. Iíve never shot one, but the ONLY giant advantage I see in the AR over others in the same tiny caliber is the ability to make it fit me completely;stock, forward grip, trigger, etc. Thereís very few rifle rounds with less muzzle energy than the .223. Iíd love to get my hands on one to shoot someday.

Distinguished Member
    I watched the movie last night. I thought it was very good for the first 60 minutes. It really laid out how people can discover for themselves that guns are not bad, and they can be fun and reassuring in terms of personal safety. I think that it could have actually been used to persuade some of those people on the fence about gun control that no guns need to be banned or feared.

However, that possibility was ruined in the last fifteen minutes. That is when it went political to the extent of adding Hillary speaking negatively about guns, giving brief lecture about how bad people will take our guns, etc. At that point the movie began to preach to the choir. It turned a very convincing movie into a political statement, and detracts from the good job it did for an hour. It is the same thing as when politicians pander to their base. It never convinces the people who are not in their base. Too bad. It could have been used for productive efforts to educate those who fear guns.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    So he decides to find out all about guns and do a documentary film about his discovery process ...

It's like he is not starting out trying to make a pro-gun statement, but that's where he winds up after learning the facts ...
    In the late 70s, the Chicago Tribune had the young, hip, liberal columnist, Bob Greene.

Among other things, Greene was against guns and hunting. On one particular occasion, he made some disparaging remarks about hunters, the kind of remarks that would typically come from someone who got their information from Walt Disney's Bambi. So, some local hunters challenged Greene to go hunting, to see what it was really about.

On the Tribune's dime, Greene bought all the "best" equipment (most of which turned out to be useless), and he wrote that when he showed up for the hunt, the other guys laughed as if he was some city slicker.

Anyway, when the moment of truth came, Greene could not pull the trigger of his very expensive rifle, but other than that, he actually enjoyed the experience -- even the ribbing.

When he came back, he wrote a surprisingly honest column about the hunting experience being about camaraderie and not about blood lust.

VIP Member
    Always carry. I agree in principle, but it isn't always practical or legal. I carry whenever and wherever I'm allowed, and I typically choose to avoid situations where I can either attend an event, drink outside the home, go to the post office, etc. or carry.

Only the individual can determine if there is an imminent threat of great bodily harm or death. A woman half my size might be able to seriously harm me or kill me with her bare hands. The circumstances will dictate whether deadly force is justified.

I agree with RedSafety on the first guy who wants to shield the world from bad guys. He is clearly a sheepdog. I don't feel any obligation to protect those who are capable of protecting themselves but choose not to do so.

I thought the section on the AR-15 was well presented. It starts with the villification by politicians and the MSM and then presents the realities of the common ownership, versatility, accuracy, recoil, and practicality of the "evil black assault rifle". Everyone I know who has shot one for the first time has walked away grinning.

It was interesting to see the light bulb go on when he realizes had the Orlando nightclub patrons had handguns, the outcome might have been considerably different. Maybe GFZs aren't such a good idea after all?

Good discussion on why Americans do and should have the right to keep and bear arms.

I found the movie to be pretty fair and balanced. Unfortunately it will probably only be viewed by those who are pro-gun. Darren Doane will likewise probably be viewed by the anti-gun crowd as a liberal who has lost his way.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I thought the Orlando nightclub shooting discussion was the best part. The idea that so many people had the time on presence of mind to take a piece of technology out of their pockets, think about what they were going to do with it and perform small motor tasks with it. In the nightclub, it was all cell phones and the task was texting. But what if the technology some of those people had was in the form of handguns? Just one good defensive shooter might have been able to take him out. Three and he would have been toast.
    spclopr8tr and OD* like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Thanks, I'll check it out. "Learning the Facts" what a strange concept.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Ok, just about to the end. IT'S BAAAAD!!!!!! That dedicated sheepdog pulls his Taurus .380, and has to turn the pistol around to handle it for use! BAD sheepdog! Bad! He's not the best example of a responsible carrier.

I've looked at the AR and I like it, but not practical right now. When I move to a house,

Yup, feels weird on the occasions I'm not carrying for some reason. Tuesday will likely be a no carry day, court house again.

Sponsored Links