I'm not all knowing or a know it all but I've decided

This is a discussion on I'm not all knowing or a know it all but I've decided within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not all knowing or a know it all but I've decided that there are certain firearms periodicals that I'm simply not going to continue ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: I'm not all knowing or a know it all but I've decided

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar

I'm not all knowing or a know it all but I've decided that there are certain firearms periodicals that I'm simply not going to continue subscribing to. such as examples; Guns&Ammo, Shooting Times, Guns, American Handgunner, Rifle, Handloader and or etcetera. After 50+years of reading these periodicals I've reached a saturation point. Memory being what it is when I started reading Guns&Ammo the price per copy was ?50? cents.

What I'll continue to read because of NRA membership is American Rifleman (the kiss our collective rear-ends good by has gotten old) and Shooting Illustrated (which I really still like to read).

Distinguished Member
    I certainly understand how you have grown tired of some of the magazines. My subscriptions have been greatly reduced over the last ten years. Every once in a while I will purchase an old magazine on eBay or at a second hand shop that contains an article I'm interested in reading, usually about some firearm no longer manufactured.
    dennis40x and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Have to agree with you. I stopped reading most gun magazines when I realized that in most I had never, not once, seen a negative review for a gun when the maker had ads in that magazine. Call me paranoid but I got the distinct impression that the "articles" were just longer ads.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Magazines? I haven't bought one of those in.... Well since the smart phone so well over 10 years.
    OldChap, 1942bull and dennis40x like this.

VIP Member
    The Shotgun News was the only gun mag I have ever subscribed to, a very long time ago.
    redmc and dennis40x like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

I stopped quite a few years ago when i realized the articles were mostly reviews of information I had long since assimilated.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

The only magazines we get are my NRA American Rifleman and my wife's NRA America's 1st. Freedom. We are both life members.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Has anyone seen a bad review on a new gun from one of those magazines?....I am sure someone has but the ratio of good/great reviews vs poor ones
    tells me all i need to know...We all know of clunkers being introduced in recent years but we sure don't learn about them from a magazine where the author
    runs a box or two of ammo through it and gives a rave review on it....I do enjoy the new product spotlights though.
    dennis40x likes this.

Brother @Cornhusker95 Most gun rags take a basket full of cash for each "review". Most reviews have been simply paid advertising for many decades. Used to be a big joke. Now it seems likely they got the idea from politicians.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Has anyone seen a bad review on a new gun from one of those magazines?
    Yes, I have, but such reviews are infrequent. I'm down to American Handgunner and the National Rifleman, the latter primarily because that comes with the membership and I like reading The Armed Citizen.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Brother @Cornhusker95 Most gun rags take a basket full of cash for each "review". Most reviews have been simply paid advertising for many decades. Used to be a big joke. Now it seems likely they got the idea from politicians.
    You got it...It would be refreshing to see a review where they said....This gun preformed poorly
    or after 500 rounds we noticed this......Or even just it was okay but we feel there is better options in this class
    and here is why....but yes we know why that rarely happens
    OldChap and dennis40x like this.

The whole magazine industry has gotten pretty bad. I don't have any subscriptions on any topic anymore. You can find so much more online and compare reviews from different sources. I pay no attention to any review that is too glowing or doesn't have even the slightest negative thing to say about a product.
    OldChap, PhaedrusIV and dennis40x like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I use to receive a few magazines that I like (and still do) however, I can get the same information and more online, so I do.
    OldChap and dennis40x like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

It's just not the magazines, but some of the gun sites/forums are going south as well.
    dennis40x likes this.

After Skeeter Skelton passed away I let my subscription to “Shooting Times” expire since his writings were the main reason I read it. Nowadays unless an article catches my attention (1911, Garand, Broomhandle, Luger) I just pass them by.
    dennis40x likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links