Extra round in M&P shield mags (Mag Guts) - Page 6

Extra round in M&P shield mags (Mag Guts)

This is a discussion on Extra round in M&P shield mags (Mag Guts) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 7 rounder that turns into 8 was very tight at first and until several weeks and couple hundred shots could only be loaded with ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Extra round in M&P shield mags (Mag Guts)

The 7 rounder that turns into 8 was very tight at first and until several weeks and couple hundred shots could only be loaded with a Maglula. No failures so far and now I can manually load all 8 although with a lot of effort. I was so impressed I got a set for my CW380.

I just ordered three sets for three M&P Shield 9mm mags. Going to give them a workout before I carry them.

Distinguished Member Array Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the highlands of the foothills
    I can report back in that I now have them in all 5 of my EDC M&P 9 Shield magazines (two flush & three extended) and, knock wood, not a single failure to feed, fire or eject at any time. Just went out Saturday and went through 50 practice, so I am probably up to 600 rounds in my primary "flush" magazine with their follower & springs (I have an aluminum NDZ finger grip base on that one - which I also recommend)

I am truly pleased with the MagGuts product. And I am a cranky 'ol curmudgeon who would let you know otherwise.
    Charlie P.

Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along. -- Terry Pratchett

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I put them in my Shield 8 rounders and have had no problem, albeit I have only fired a few hundred rounds through each. Ironically while changing them out I discovered that the factory spring in one of my mags had collapsed in on itself, which explained why I had been able to load an extra round into that magazine the last time I had loaded it. At the time I had written it off as simply being a miscount on my part. Nope, it turned out I had counted right. It was just the factory spring had failed. I have no idea how long it had been like that, so I don't know if it had been firing OK with the messed up spring, or if it had just messed up recently.

Distinguished Member
    Magguts have worked fine for me for almost a year and a half. I needed a mag loader to get the last round in the 8 one and last 2 rounds in the 7 the first couple of load ups. Within a couple of weeks the ammo loads fine and the mags seat as they should. I carry the 7 rounder in the Shield and the 8 rounder as back up, so 18 rounds on board.

Clarify: To seat the mag, I used to grip my fingers over the slide with my thumb under the mag and squeezed instead of slamming the bottom of the mag (Except when doing reload drills. Then the mag got slammed). Now it seats like a normal mag.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

I just wanna say I bought one magguts kit to try it out and so far I'm sold. First time out I shot 100 rounds through that one magazine, a flush 7 rounder, dropped it in the sand, and then shot another hundred through it. Flawless, even with Sand all in it. I plan on carrying this so I really wanted to be sure. Haven't had a problem yet. I'll be getting another for my 8 rounder and maybe a few more later on.

I was thinking about one day getting an m&p9c, but with the magguts id only be gaining 3 extra rounds, pretty impressive capacity for such a small and comfortable gun.

I had no problem loading this mag btw, no need for a magloader
    Zredwire likes this.

i registered just to comment in this thread because most replies have been about the 9mm shield.

I have a shield in .40, and I ordered two of the mag guts kits for this caliber.

The spring is different than the 9. The .40 mag guts spring is a sheet metal spring steel type, and it's not some 15% reduction in spring force. These things are WEAK.

Ive had fail to feeds on both the short and longer mag within the first 50rds.

I do NOT recommend anyone get the mag guts extension for the shield if they have the .40 version. or maybe get it for the range, but never carry with em.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse85 View Post
    i registered just to comment in this thread because most replies have been about the 9mm shield.

I have a shield in .40, and I ordered two of the mag guts kits for this caliber.

The spring is different than the 9. The .40 mag guts spring is a sheet metal spring steel type, and it's not some 15% reduction in spring force. These things are WEAK.

Ive had fail to feeds on both the short and longer mag within the first 50rds.

I do NOT recommend anyone get the mag guts extension for the shield if they have the .40 version. or maybe get it for the range, but never carry with em.
    You should contact Magguts. They have very good customer service. I have a friend who has a shield .40 and has three magazines with the ZeeSpring installed from Magguts and all three magazines have been 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    May have had something to do with a thrown pair of scissors that stuck in the wall beside my head one day while discussing my latest purchase. Happy wife - happy life. Unhappy wife - run for your life! That's funny, and so true. I have a couple "keepers" but I always have one set aside for trading/bargaining.
    Guns or wives?

Distinguished Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I'm glad you guys were willing to be the beta-testers!

I bought one of the kits with the new flat spring and extended base plate to try it out (turns a 7 round magazine into a 9 round magazine) and went to the range with it yesterday to try it out.

I filled that one magazine (9 rounds), loaded one in the chamber, reloaded the magazine, and did that 10 times (100 rounds).

No issues at all and I think I'll order a couple of more sets if this one continues to perform well.

The downside is this turns $20 magazines into $50 magazines which is getting into HK territory.

I formally retract my earlier skeptical post, assuming continued good performance.
    Last edited by GentlemanJim; December 27th, 2016 at 09:58 AM.
    "We all have to work out our own salvation" -- Jim Higginbotham

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    The downside is this turns $20 magazines into $50 magazines which is getting into HK territory.
    I agree. I see that there latest product out (for the Sig P238) comes either in the normal add on kit, or with a complete magazine with their kit already installed. Their kits are around $22 but the magazine with the kit already installed is $35.95. Would be nice if they would start doing that for the other kits they offer.
    http://magguts.com/shop/sig-sauer-p238

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I thought thats why they make a Sccy.
    you made me go and look Sccy, lots of colorful models. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    The one extra round is very attractive. But the chance of five or six dropping out of service when most needed is very unattractive.

Still debating in my mind.

I wonder if silver-soldering the cup to the last spring loop would prevent the "blow-by" failure? But then we're at modifying a modification and possiblt screwing the temper up.

I'm used to seven & one in the chamber with my 1911s so maybe I'll be content with the OEM magazines.
    I am with you.. I love the idea but it is a risk of poor installation or part failure just for 1 round.. but now they are making a 2 round extension for the 7 round mag that ends up shorter than the 8 round OEM, so I am thinking again..
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

The shield Magguts conversion now is done with the flat Zee spring now so they have solved the installation issue that you all have been articulating. No more double spring. I purchased one that is on its way.
    ohiohunter likes this.
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

So I just put in the see spring (flat spring) conversion for the shield 2 extension. It was a bit hard to hold the spring still and not cut my hand.. it is sharp... but I did it.. my first time ever taking the magazine apart. So now I just have to shoot it and see.. so I will have 9+1 in the shield in a pretty small footprint
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links