M&P 45 or 45C

M&P 45 or 45C

This is a discussion on M&P 45 or 45C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't make up my mind between the M&P 45 4" with full sized grip or the 45C with compact grip. The other consideration is ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: M&P 45 or 45C

M&P 45 or 45C

I can't make up my mind between the M&P 45 4" with full sized grip or the 45C with compact grip. The other consideration is the capacity, the full size holds 11 rounds and the Compact holds 9 respectively, compared to my 1911's 8+1 wilson mags I use for carry.

Help convince me which of these two is better and why.

I do plan to remove the thumb safety and add the Apex kit.

VIP Member
    Glock 21 or Glock 30. No safety to remove, no apex kit to add. I own and carry both M&Ps and Glocks. I prefer the Glocks.
    WCDUB and Cdknox like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Had a 45c with no manual safety or mag disconnect for a while. Bought it because it felt great in the hand compared to all of the other m&p's. Shot wonderfully. Crappy trigger, specifically the reset.

Never liked the feel of the G30 with 10rd mags. That baseplate to frame fit is uncomfortable to MY hand.
    Bad Bob likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I went through the process of selecting a compact .45 to carry about 8 months ago. The prime candidates for me included the G30, M&P .45C, Kahr CW45 and SA XDm .45C. I wanted a compact because I find them a little easier to conceal, especially in the summer when I am wearing T-shirts. I liked all of the guns, but it boiled down to the XDm or M&P. I ended up with the SA XDm .45C because it had a better trigger and more capacity (9+1) while being slightly smaller (although a little heavier).

The M&P .45C is 4.8" tall while the regular .45 is 5.5". The .45C is also a little shorter and lighter. If you are comfortable concealing a full size .45, fantastic. But if you would find that extra height (in particular), weight and length a little more challenging you should look to the compact.

If you aren't set on the M&P, check out the G30 and SA XDm .45C as well as they are both great guns IMHO.

EDIT: Also, you can get the M&P without the safety from the OEM
    Georgia Carry
    NRA
    SAF

I love my 45c. It's Glock 19-sized with .45 ACP goodness (and mine has no safety).
    zonker1986, RickyD and PAcanis like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Nebraska12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Glock 21 or Glock 30. No safety to remove, no apex kit to add. I own and carry both M&Ps and Glocks. I prefer the Glocks.
    Wow...that certainly didn't take long. 16 minutes...

OP, Go with the 45c. You can always buy extended mags and magazine sleeves. That's what I've done, and I love the weight and balance of it.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'

“The Second Amendment is timeless for our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the state.”
    ― Tiffany Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I love my 45c. It's Glock 19-sized with .45 ACP goodness (and mine has no safety).
    This!
    I've commented before that the m&p 45c is the most under the radar handgun I can think of.
    As already said, G19 sized, which is considered a good all around carry size.
    I have the 45c that I carry comfortably with the 8 round mag AND I have several 10 round mags that I use for HD or when printing is not a concern.
    The 45c is just more versatile. Was a no brainier for me.

PS I. Wear xl gloves and with the 8 round mag I get a full hand grip. With the 10 round mag, even longer.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

45c all the way! More versatile than its bigger brother. If you want greater capacity, it accepts the full size mags. Newer M&Ps have a better trigger with a better reset now. Oh and if you decide on the glock yer gonna end up swapping out those cheap plastic sights....FYI...M&PS come without a safety too...LIFETIME WARRANTY and made in USA!!
    Cobra88 likes this.

Ha ha- if you see how I had it worded before you would have seen the G30 included in the lineup, great gun, just looking for something.....more. I even like the G21SF, but I'm not crazy about it. I HATE XD-sorry (just lost some friends lol), not crazy about Kahr.

I like the Glock 19 but I have big fingers so the grips don't fit right, and I'm a finger groove guy generally. The fact that it's a .45 cal G19 could be a great thing. The .45 is critical since I already have other guns to fit smaller calibers, right now my EDC is a G26, sometimes it's my Champion Operator.

The 45C was already my frontrunner but I was trying to not have a bias when writing the thread so I could get straight answers.

BTW, Glock was my first handgun I ever bought, owned them for 20 years almost, just really liking the M&P offering lately. Somebody mentioned that the M&P had a Lifetime Warranty, the Glocks have never needed it. Lol

Distinguished Member
    The FS gives you either a 4.5" or 4" barrel versus a 4" for the 45c. You can use the 10 round mags in the 45c. I'd get the 45c and get a couple of 10 round mags for it. BTW the stock number for the 4.5" FS w/o the manual safety is 109306 and the stock number for the 45c w/o the safety is 109308. Both are non-compliant for Massachusetts and do not have the magazine safety.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

Distinguished Member Array Nebraska12's Avatar
    My 45c with 10rd mag and sleeve, for your viewing pleasure.
    M&P 45 or 45C-uploadfromtaptalk1433893712625.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    hick63 likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'

“The Second Amendment is timeless for our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the state.”
    ― Tiffany Madison

M&P 45c is .1" wider in the slide than the G19. Great shooter.

hick63, Brad426 and Tundra5.7 like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    Wow...that certainly didn't take long. 16 minutes...

OP, Go with the 45c. You can always buy extended mags and magazine sleeves. That's what I've done, and I love the weight and balance of it.
    Relax. I could have said Glock 19.
    zonker1986 and hick63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Relax. I could have said Glock 19.

and the M&P45C is my third favorite polymer .45.....right after my Glock 30 and Glock 36.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    and the M&P45C is my third favorite polymer .45.....right after my Glock 30 and Glock 36.
    All true. My M&P9 is my almost-favorite 9mm, right behind my Glock 17 and my Glock 19.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links