SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 10

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr Yup, I wasn't enamored with the SCCY quality to begin with, it blowing up next to me confirmed that inexpensive product ...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Yup, I wasn't enamored with the SCCY quality to begin with, it blowing up next to me confirmed that inexpensive product isn't something I want to be around. I keep my mouth shut at the shop, the owners sell enough of them. I refuse to deal with a customer who wants to look at one or asks question of them, turning that over to the other two while I walk off. I want nothing to do with recommending nor selling one to a customer.
    Would you deal with a customer who wants to look at a Glock? They've had more than one Kaboom in their history, so fair is fair... Seems to have been a 1911 or two that met similar demises along the way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    A exploding gun may tend to sour a guy on a certain brand.
    I have seen blown up Colt's, Smith's, Glock's, Ruger's...............
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Yup, I wasn't enamored with the SCCY quality to begin with, it blowing up next to me confirmed that inexpensive product isn't something I want to be around. I keep my mouth shut at the shop, the owners sell enough of them. I refuse to deal with a customer who wants to look at one or asks question of them, turning that over to the other two while I walk off. I want nothing to do with recommending nor selling one to a customer.
    If you shoot what they tell you to run in it...And it explodes despite you doing everything right then one time is all it would take for me rather it was my gun
    or someone else's who happened to be with me....I try not to be a brand basher because i own a couple of guns that get get bashed for one reason or another
    but run fine for me....Not always ( Like in this case) but i think a lot of guns get a bad reputation because of operator error and inexperience especially small
    pocket guns in the hands of novice shooters.
    AzQkr and msgt/ret like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I have seen blown up Colt's, Smith's, Glock's, Ruger's...............
    I am sure you have...But put one in my hand and with right ammo in it and it explodes....I can guarantee i will not be running out
    to buy another...No matter how great that brands reputation may be....I love Kahr/Walther handguns (Shocker i know)...But if one blows
    up in my hand then my opinion is gonna change real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I am sure you have...But put one in my hand and with right ammo in it and it explodes....I can guarantee i will not be running out
    to buy another...No matter how great that brands reputation may be....I love Kahr/Walther handguns (Shocker i know)...But if one blows
    up in my hand then my opinion is gonna change real quick.
    Of course there has NEVER been out of spec factory ammo......

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Would you deal with a customer who wants to look at a Glock? They've had more than one Kaboom in their history, so fair is fair... Seems to have been a 1911 or two that met similar demises along the way.
    I guess you would have to believe him as being there when it happened and operator error wasn't the issue....We have all seen blown up guns but
    have we ever been there when it happened and known what ammo was ran through it...How many rounds were run through it...Condition of the gun etc etc....

Sure there has....Very good point...That should be investigated as well....I am sure many of guns have blown up and manufacturers spend a ton of money
    to lay the blame somewhere else rather ammo/operator error etc....If a gun blows up in my hand and at the end of the day it was faulty manufacturing
    not anything i did knowingly or unknowingly then i am gonna be done with that brand...There are far to many options out there for me to think otherwise.
    AzQkr and msgt/ret like this.

Sponsor
    For every example of the same problem over the entire US Bob? Possible but highly improbable.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

For every example of the same problem over the entire US Bob? Possible but highly improbable.
    WHAT?

I have seen enough out of spec ammo. There have been LOTS of recalls.....
    SatCong, OldVet and Ceapea like this.

I think some of the negative attitude towards SCCY is that they cost so little. They are considered budget/cheap guns, so at that price we automatically think that they can not be very decent. If SCCY cost the same as a S&W BG or Shield, would they be considered on par with S&W or a Kahr? I have heard/read numerous bad reviews on almost all pistols.
    Ceapea likes this.
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ll, S&W M&P 15; Wife's: Sig P238, Rossi 38 Special, Remington 11-87 20G

Sponsor
    WHAT?

I have seen enough out of spec ammo. There have been LOTS of recalls.....
    So, you're suggesting several people all over the US where this was happening bought the same ammo, from the same lot and happened to be shooting it in the exact same make/model pistol? Or possibly suggesting several different ammo makers had QC issues with their 9mm ammo, and they all ended up being shot in the same make model?

Like I said, possible, highly improbable. Based on the research, it was a number of guns that experienced the problem within a certain range of serial numbers. None outside that range reported similar experiences. SCCY outsourced barrel making, the general consensus was it was a faulty batch of barrels produced but SCCY will not admit that.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I think some of the negative attitude towards SCCY is that they cost so little. They are considered budget/cheap guns, so at that price we automatically think that they can not be very decent. If SCCY cost the same as a S&W BG or Shield, would they be considered on par with S&W or a Kahr? I have heard/read numerous bad reviews on almost all pistols.
    When you've handled hundreds, shot hundreds of various pistols over 50 years, you get a sense of quality manufacturing just picking a gun up. It has nothing to do with price, but I can tell you confidently that if they charged more than 250 or thereabouts for that pistol, they'd be selling a lot less of them.

We get customers in who know guns, they look and handle the SCCY and ask to see something else. Those uneducated consumers look and handle one and decide based on price, that gun will serve their purpose/s just fine.
    Hatchee likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, I would and do all day long. I've never had a glock [ and I've sold a boatload of them over 13 years or so ] come back having disintegrated itself. I've put near 200K through various glocks myself without an issue of self destruction.

Glock had an issue with ONE gun due to an unsupported chamber using 40S+W's. A design flaw that was corrected fairly quickly and some decade or more ago. The main concern for me is that the SCCY feels cheap in my hand, the glocks do not. Like I mentioned, I can pick a gun up and discern quality/workmanship pretty quickly after near 50 years of owning hundreds of guns. The SCCY didn't give me a warm and fuzzy from handling it, it certainly didn't give me a warm and fuzzy when it exploded standing next to it.

I have a responsibility to the consumer to not recommend something I believe to be a POS, poorly made pistol. I let others at the shop do so just to make the sale. When I had my own ticket, I didn't carry but a few Taurus models, never stocked Rossi's either. Custom order anything you like, but I would not in good conscious off for sale in MY cases any gun I believed was not of sufficient quality and reliability. I'm wasn't a whore for the money, and would prefer my customers understand why I wouldn't offer some brands models, based on experience of having PO'd customer returning taurus revos and semi's accusing me of selling them a POS.

I also don't recommend any new Sig product based on their less than stellar QC and design issues in the last several years. I'll order anything you want, but I'm not carrying a product, any product, I know is a new design/model for at least a year after people have determined it's worth the price and known bugs have been addressed and corrected.

In a classic example of myself, I bought new sig designed 220 carry, top of the line. I did so based on owning numerous sigs over decades that ran flawlessly. Come to find out the 220 carry had a last round extraction issue with many people. Sig had redesigned the extractor position and that created issues with the gun's extraction having to be super tweaked all the time to run properly. Sent it back to be fixed/tweaked, when it returned I sold it for what I paid for it [ as I bought it wholesale ] and will never consider another sig product until after the 2nd year of production. Sig just can't be trusted to make guns that don't have issues. Sigarms in Exeter is NOT the Sig company of yore in Germany. Same name, nowhere near the quality of the W. German made guns.

If we all lived by the standard that because a mechanical device failed catastrophically we would not use one we would be living in mud huts eating raw fish......
    But Bob ! Some of us LIKE mud huts and raw fish. Take OV, for example. And Brownie, when he rides his motorsickle to Alaska.
    AzQkr and Bad Bob like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

So, you're suggesting several people all over the US where this was happening bought the same ammo, from the same lot and happened to be shooting it in the exact same make/model pistol? Or possibly suggesting several different ammo makers had QC issues with their 9mm ammo, and they all ended up being shot in the same make model?

Like I said, possible, highly improbable. Based on the research, it was a number of guns that experienced the problem within a certain range of serial numbers. None outside that range reported similar experiences. SCCY outsourced barrel making, the general consensus was it was a faulty batch of barrels produced but SCCY will not admit that.
    If they would just admit it ...That would help for some...But i still wouldn't own another after the first blew up on me.
    AzQkr likes this.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Sponsored Links