SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 2

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Were these hand loads or factory ammo?[ Edit] I seen in the OP where you stated it was factory ammo....

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

Were these hand loads or factory ammo?[ Edit] I seen in the OP where you stated it was factory ammo.
    AzQkr likes this.

Did you examine the shell casing? Might be hard to tell if deformation caused the kaboom via over pressure or was the result of the barrel coming apart. But, if it looks normal it is most likely a gun issue.
    matthew03 and AzQkr like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Maybe I'm ignorant, but why would a pistol that has successfully fired rounds all of a sudden simplely blow up without some other forces playing a role such as an out of spec bullet, squib load, etc?
    Could just as easily been a bad barrel. One defect in the material may take some time to show itself. Truth is t could have been any of those things.
    matthew03, AzQkr and DingBat like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Maybe I'm ignorant, but why would a pistol that has successfully fired rounds all of a sudden simplely blow up without some other forces playing a role such as an out of spec bullet, squib load, etc?
    Bad metallurgy, an imperfection somewhere, etc.

Glad no one was hurt, that could have been really bad.
    Ianthin, mhl6493, AzQkr and 2 others like this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

And I thought Glocks went Kbooom, that type of failure suggests an improper heat treatment of the barrel with each round causing cracks leading to eventual failure.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    And I thought Glocks went Kbooom, that type of failure suggests an improper heat treatment of the barrel with each round causing cracks leading to eventual failure.
    Not just Glocks, but there was a big to do about a few 40 and a couple of 9mm Shields going Kaboom too not to long ago...

Hard to tell after the fact if it was the ammo, the barrel, or some sort of foreign blockage. Has anyone every head of anyone else having this issue with a SCCY?
    msgt/ret and AzQkr like this.

VIP Member
    But... but... The guy at the shop told me that an SCCY was "almost identical to a Glock, but a higher quality pistol!!!"
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I almost bought one of those. I was looking for a small, lightweight, inexpensive 9mm for summer carry. I narrowed it down to a SCCY or a keltec. I went with the Keltec and I am glad I did. Not that I Believe that one rotten apple ruins the bunch it's just that I am both very surprised and pleased at my PF nine's performance and accuracy for a small inexpensive gun.
    AzQkr and cthruit like this.

VIP Member
    Not just Glocks, but there was a big to do about a few 40 and a couple of 9mm Shields going Kaboom too not to long ago...

Hard to tell after the fact if it was the ammo, the barrel, or some sort of foreign blockage. Has anyone every head of anyone else having this issue with a SCCY?
    I know the CPX1 guns had enough problems that SCCY began replacing them with CPX2 pistols when they were returned for warranty service. Not sure the exact issues involved though.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret and CIBMike like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    But... but... The guy at the shop told me that an SCCY was "almost identical to a Glock, but a higher quality pistol!!!"
    If a Glock had a hammer...
    AzQkr likes this.

As long as all of you are safe and sound, that's what really matters. I've always avoided cheap firearms. I hope you folks saved the pieces and the box of ammo. True barrel steel is in short supply at times and sometimes corners are cut to meet a price point. When you get it figured please let us know what went wrong, if you can.
    mhl6493, AzQkr, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.

Yes, I remember reading and seeing pics of one that did the same thing several years ago.

I crossed the SCCY off my list after firing one. Went with the Kahr CW9, instead.

VIP Member
    I wonder if those pistols would survive a German proofing.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns:

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Did you examine the shell casing? Might be hard to tell if deformation caused the kaboom via over pressure or was the result of the barrel coming apart. But, if it looks normal it is most likely a gun issue.
    Trying to find it in a sandy wash within all the other brass laying around, near impossible to find that particular shell casing with any certainty. So much so, none of us looked for the casing, but we did find the top half of the barrel some 5-6 feet from where he was shooting.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

A fine example of when a good "deal" comes back to bite you in the end.

Buy quality buy once.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links