SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 3

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by denclaste As long as all of you are safe and sound, that's what really matters. I've always avoided cheap firearms. I hope ...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    As long as all of you are safe and sound, that's what really matters. I've always avoided cheap firearms. I hope you folks saved the pieces and the box of ammo. True barrel steel is in short supply at times and sometimes corners are cut to meet a price point. When you get it figured please let us know what went wrong, if you can.
    He's calling SCCY tomorrow morning when he gets into the shop. I don't know if they'll ever get an answer to the cause. I wouldn't expect if they find it was a faulty barrel due to their lack of qc, they'll be very forthcoming about that to a dealer. If and when I hear anything at all, I'll pass it on for everyone as an update.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    I almost bought one of those. I was looking for a small, lightweight, inexpensive 9mm for summer carry. I narrowed it down to a SCCY or a keltec. I went with the Keltec and I am glad I did. Not that I Believe that one rotten apple ruins the bunch it's just that I am both very surprised and pleased at my PF nine's performance and accuracy for a small inexpensive gun.
    I don't think I'd go with KelTec as an example of, "Thank goodness I didn't buy a cheap gun."
    Psalm 144:1

Well I didn't have one of those on my radar. Guess I still don't! Thanks for the info!
    AzQkr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Fine example of how cheap is anything but cheap and how quality ends up eventually as cheaper. Cry only once. Quality rules. I got bit by going cheap a few times when I was younger. Eventually figured out it was better in the long run to save and wait till I had what I needed.

Glad all came out of it ok.
    AzQkr and matthew03 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Well, we "know" it's not ammo cuz he shot factory rounds. They're always perfect.

Sponsor
    Some clarification may be in order. I have the task of taking their customers to the desert for basics when they ask about such. I've trained basics with one man and several ladies who've purchased that very gun. No issues, they've been reliable, not finicky and, IMO, were a fair gun at a fair price for what it is. Not that I'd ever buy one before this, but it was something until today I could state had proven reliable NIB for at least 100-200 rds.

This one blew up at round 28.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Glad everyone is OK.
    I haven't heard of a catastrophic failure like this since Caracal.
    Thanks for the post.
    matthew03 and AzQkr like this.

VIP Member
    A few have commented that there is the off chance that the ammo could be at fault, and they're right. But none of them have recommended calling Remington to see if they want the rest of the box back for inspection and possibly issue a recall. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

SCCYs blow up, Glocks blow up, M&Ps blow up, heck--even 1911s blow up. The question in this case, as in all, is: Why? Gun failure or ammo failure?
    AzQkr, CIBMike, Ianthin and 5 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsor
    Ianthin,
    The ammo wasn't that brand new, the copper jackets were dull. Now, that said, they all [ the rest ] fired fine from my glock. I never questioned it was the ammo, and though it could have been, I didn't hear a double charge [ and I've heard them before in 9 and 44mag specifically ] or anything out of the ordinary in it's report.

It looked like some of my stored ammo in cases when I open it up having sat in the storage area for years. It may have been some older stuff he had laying around.
    Ianthin likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    SCCYs blow up, Glocks blow up, M&Ps blow up, heck--even 1911s blow up. The question in this case, as in all, is: Why? Gun failure or ammo failure?
    I'm going with gun failure. Nothing out of the ordinary in the ammo performance prior to nor through my glock trainer from the same box.
    PAcanis, Ianthin and nodogs like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I don't think I'd go with KelTec as an example of, "Thank goodness I didn't buy a cheap gun."
    My life is hardly a lofty experience and I don't have champagne for lunch or own my own jet, but I've never even known of the existence of these firearms until now. When I think of firearms, I think of mainstream (quality) manufacturers OR....I think about things I ought not be thinking about at all. I'm happy with both lines of thought.
    AzQkr, gen3 and farsidefan1 like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    My life is hardly a lofty experience and I don't have champagne for lunch or own my own jet, but I've never even known of the existence of these firearms until now. When I think of firearms, I think of mainstream (quality) manufacturers OR....I think about things I ought not be thinking about at all. I'm happy with both lines of thought.
    Can I use that? I find that hilarious

There are too many CATASTROPHIC FAILURES listed on YOUTUBE Here's one

https://youtu.be/3Otbotl6O68
    AzQkr likes this.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Maybe I'm ignorant, but why would a pistol that has successfully fired rounds all of a sudden simplely blow up without some other forces playing a role such as an out of spec bullet, squib load, etc?
    Think of a tire with a bulge on the inside sidewall. Everything seems fine, then boom.
    AzQkr, Ianthin and Recon1342 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links