SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 4

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr He's calling SCCY tomorrow morning when he gets into the shop. I don't know if they'll ever get an answer to ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    He's calling SCCY tomorrow morning when he gets into the shop. I don't know if they'll ever get an answer to the cause. I wouldn't expect if they find it was a faulty barrel due to their lack of qc, they'll be very forthcoming about that to a dealer. If and when I hear anything at all, I'll pass it on for everyone as an update.
    Sounds good I will be looking for your follow up post. I have a CPX1(newest version) and a CPX2 both have been 100% reliable with absolutely no blips whatsoever. I have run about 300 rounds thru each gun using Winchester 115g fmj, Winchester 147gr JHP, CCI Blazer 115gr, stand one armory 147gr and some federal 147gr hst

Sponsor
    I'll get some pics of it tomorrow morning and post them up here. It's failure of the barrel and how the slide peeled back in two places is pretty dramatic
    gasmitty, SatCong and mhl6493 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Well, it COULD have been bad ammo, one never knows. But it seems unlikely.

Any chance of getting pics still? I'd be very curious to see what it looks like at the split. Sometimes you can tell from the appearance what the likely cause is - it's been a while since my metallurgy classes, but IIRC if it appears to be a brittle fracture, with sharp edges like a broken piece of glass, that would probably be a good indication of a flawed annealing or heat treat.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I feel thats its a 99.9 % chance its ammo related .. But I would like to seen pictures..
    TeflonDon likes this.

VIP Member
    I'll get some pics of it tomorrow morning and post them up here. It's failure of the barrel and how the slide peeled back in two places is pretty dramatic
    If there's one thing we like more than pics of guns, it's pics of blowed up guns.
    AzQkr, mhl6493, smolck and 4 others like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

SCCY CPX-2 is no different than a Glock, a Springfield, or a Jennings (LOL) they are man made and are subject to failure. I had CPX1 and 2 and never a problem. The big question now is will the folks in Daytona do a proper inspection on the gun and just not blame it on bad ammo......The one and only Kaboom that I have ever suffered was first blamed on ammo by the manufacturer of the gun until they learned that I had the gun inspected by three independent certified gunsmiths prior to returning it to the manufacturer. The gun was replaced without charge. Just glad there were no injuries.
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    Can I use that? I find that hilarious
    Most definitely
    AzQkr likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Wow !!!! these Ruger SP101's must be a POS !!!!

I guess I will stick with brand X ( what ever brand I think is better )

I can pull up pics of almost any brand of hangun ... that have blown up ..

I have seen 3 handguns explode all but one was ammo related . Except for a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag whose barrel decided to scoot down the range . Turned out it was a factory defect ...

Ruger is a great company who is well known for overbuilt guns .... It happens sometimes you step in it ...

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Well, it COULD have been bad ammo, one never knows. But it seems unlikely.

Any chance of getting pics still? I'd be very curious to see what it looks like at the split. Sometimes you can tell from the appearance what the likely cause is - it's been a while since my metallurgy classes, but IIRC if it appears to be a brittle fracture, with sharp edges like a broken piece of glass, that would probably be a good indication of a flawed annealing or heat treat.
    That was my guess, based on a limited knowledge of blade/steel heat treat stress fractures. Certainly wasn't too soft, my guess, too brittle [ a higher rockwell tends to move in that direction ].

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

That was my guess, based on a limited knowledge of blade/steel heat treat stress fractures. Certainly wasn't too soft, my guess, too brittle [ a higher rockwell tends to move in that direction ].
    Or a gas hole in the metal. If the heat-treat was to deep or too shadow from the call-out on the prints.
    Ianthin and AzQkr like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    Infant mortality in any product is usually a mfg defect imo.
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    I wonder if those pistols would survive a German proofing.
    Now that is funny!
    AzQkr likes this.

They sell alot of these guns.

Funds spent on production will have limits.
    I expect that some pistols will work just fine others will not.

Fortune has smiled on me just enough that i don't have to pick up those dice.
    AzQkr likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Or a gas hole in the metal. If the heat-treat was to deep or too shadow from the call-out on the prints.
    Absolutely, I wouldn't swear on it, but the quick glance I got of the barrel innards looked like it was cast.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    As a perspective the Marine Corps was the recipients of M14 rifles manufactured by H&R. There were problems with the bolts. It was found that H&R had received a bad lot of material from their supplier along with a certificate that the material meant the Mil-Spec certification. I do not know the barrel construction/method/manufacturing of the handgun in question but if the barrel was made from bar stock there could be a material problem. Under we don't know what we don't know.
    TeflonDon likes this.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links