SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 5

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like a double charge .. or a squib stuck in the barrel ........

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

It seems like a double charge .. or a squib stuck in the barrel .....

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    It seems like a double charge .. or a squib stuck in the barrel .....
    No barrel bulge, no burn area indicating a squib. The round before it had dinged the steel, no squib. 7 rounds in the mag ran flawless while I watched his form playing with point shoulder skills. I've had squibs and seen many more barrels bulged and burned due to squibs, this didn't give that impression.

It didn't sound loud enough to be a double charge, but that's always possible.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    As a perspective the Marine Corps was the recipients of M14 rifles manufactured by H&R. There were problems with the bolts. It was found that H&R had received a bad lot of material from their supplier along with a certificate that the material meant the Mil-Spec certification. I do not know the barrel construction/method/manufacturing of the handgun in question but if the barrel was made from bar stock there could be a material problem. Under we don't know what we don't know.
    Rifle barrels are made of steel.
    CIBMike likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I don't think I'd go with KelTec as an example of, "Thank goodness I didn't buy a cheap gun."

Well Ive owned KelTec for over 10 years Have 6 of them and been member of KT board for several years . Never heard of a KelTec blowing up like that . Unless was a squib load. SCCY has had lots of problems since started. . I consider a KT a low price pistol not a cheap gun. To me is a difference .
    If KelTec was so bad Wouldn't be all the copy cat guns Ruger, SCCY , and others out their just copy that cheap gun all the time
    ďThose who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.Ē John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

I thought that only happened to Glocks.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by michael t View Post
    Well Ive owned KelTec for over 10 years Have 6 of them and been member of KT board for several years . Never heard of a KelTec blowing up like that . Unless was a squib load. SCCY has had lots of problems since started. . I consider a KT a low price pistol not a cheap gun. To me is a difference .
    If KelTec was so bad Wouldn't be all the copy cat guns Ruger, SCCY , and others out their just copy that cheap gun all the time
    Don't care what weapon it is, if one person screws up it can break. Work in a large machine shop for 30 plus years and the c**p, that's fail, you wonder how it got through QC. As I have said, if man makes it. It can break.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

The SCCY barrel is machined from a solid bar of stainless steel and then sandblasted. Inside the bore are seven lands and grooves making one right-hand twist in 16 inches. The slide is also made of stainless steel bar stock,

SCCY CPX-2 9mm
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array accessbob's Avatar
    I owned a CPX-2 at one time but, compared to other pistols I owned, it didn't seem that accurate. Mine shot pretty wide groups compared to other pistols I had so I sold it. I did notice it was quite light compared to other 9mm's I owned, including compared against the Shield. It will be interesting to follow this thread and see what comes of it.
    AzQkr likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Based on my limited personal experience and anecdotal evidence from several trusted sources, I never recommend SCCY.

I also have to keep in mind that I have seen Kimber's fail catastrophically as well. It's not just the cheap guns. As already posted, if a man made it, it can and will fail.

I've also had good luck with my 2 Taurus handguns. Go figure.
    AzQkr likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Glad your friend is okay. My grandfather lost an eye when a bolt action rifle didn't lock into battery. The bolt blew back and hit him in the face.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I'm going with gun failure. Nothing out of the ordinary in the ammo performance prior to nor through my glock trainer from the same box.
    is very hard to double charge a 9mm, not a lot of room in there, it puts a smile on my face when I read all the guns are double pressure tested before leaving the factory, and you get a round with 1gr. <> over charged and kaboon, glad your friend and you are ok.
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    No barrel bulge, no burn area indicating a squib.
    How can there be no barrel bulge, when the thing blew up? There most certainly has to be a barrel bulge! And there should be some discoloration too.
    Iím tip top, but Iím not Robin Hood!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!

Actually if a 9mm bullet is seated to deep .. That will also cause excess pressure

Myself , I own a SCCY its my second one .. My first went to a buddy of mine in a trade .. And it has had over 1K of rounds thru it no problems ..
    The on I have now has been great ..
    The biggest complaint about the SCCY is the DAO revolver type trigger .. Its no problem with me . I cut my teeth on DA revolvers ...

As i mentioned earlier .. Stuff happens . And somtimes you step in it .. If you get bad ammo anything can happen ..and usually its bad ..
    If you are at a busy range .and wearing hearing protection , it's difficult to hear someone elses pistol well enough to distinguish a over or undercharged round . ...
    Petroleum 1 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    How can there be no barrel bulge, when the thing blew up? There most certainly has to be a barrel bulge! And there should be some discoloration too.
    Ceapea
    No barrel bulge when it's not been a squib that caused the catastrophic failure. Barrels bulge when there's been an obstruction. The pics show NO bulge in the barrel/rifling area.
    PAcanis and denclaste like this.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Sponsor
    Here's the pics I promised. As can be readily seen, no bulge in the barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00242.jpg  

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00243.jpg  

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00244.jpg  

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00245.jpg  

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00246.jpg  

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00247.jpg  

PAcanis, BadgerJ, CIBMike and 6 others like this.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links