SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 6

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More pics...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

Sponsor
    More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00249.jpg  

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-dsc00250.jpg  

PAcanis, BadgerJ and bmcgilvray like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array accessbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    More pics
    I spotted the problem with the first pic I saw. It was PINK.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Sponsor
    You have a problem with pink?

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Wow, just wow. Kinda makes me rethink my wife's glovebox Cpx2.......
    AzQkr and Ianthin like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array accessbob's Avatar
    You have a problem with pink?
    This is what my wife made me do to her KelTec PF9 way back when we first got carry guns.

which may have caused my aversion. LOL
    AzQkr likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Ceapea
    No barrel bulge when it's not been a squib that caused the catastrophic failure. Barrels bulge when there's been an obstruction. The pics show NO bulge in the barrel/rifling area.
    I would think the barrel would have had to stay together in order for there to be a bulge. Your first post said it split in half. So therefore...
    No bulge
    PhaedrusIV, AzQkr and denclaste like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I would think the barrel would have had to stay together in order for there to be a bulge. Your first post said it split in half. So therefore...
    No bulge
    Microseconds is all it would require to bulge a barrel that exploded due to an obstruction, no?
    SatCong and Ianthin like this.

Microseconds is all it would require to bulge a barrel that exploded due to an obstruction, no?
    Probably. It doesn't take much.
    But the bulge is caused from one bullet hitting the other. For the barrel to split like that it would almost have to be a pressure situation from the gasses, which would not bulge a specific area. Or a defective barrel, which is my guess.
    If it wasn't already in use and firing other rounds I'd almost guess there was an obstruction right at the muzzle and it happened the first shot.
    AzQkr likes this.

VIP Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I'm with SatCong on this. I'm noticing the roughness of the splits. Looks like a hard, brittle material shattered other than a clean rip. It has the appearance of broken cast iron, other than a piece of steel. Properly treated steel would have more of smother tear, and not such a rough surface. Generally, when a good steel barrel Kabooms, it bends the pieces. Those appear to be, almost, straight.

The first few rounds could have caused a crack and the last round took it out.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other".
    John Adams, October 11, 1798

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    It has the appearance of broken cast iron, other than a piece of steel.
    What do you want to bet the consultant SCCY hired that suggested saving money by using old cast iron skillets as raw material for their barrels is out of a job today.........
    AzQkr and Ianthin like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I'm with SatCong on this. I'm noticing the roughness of the splits. Looks like a hard, brittle material shattered other than a clean rip. It has the appearance of broken cast iron, other than a piece of steel. Properly treated steel would have more of smother tear, and not such a rough surface. Generally, when a good steel barrel Kabooms, it bends the pieces. Those appear to be, almost, straight.

That's what I thought when I saw the pictures, although it's hard to tell that much from the photo.

But a metallurgist could tell you quite a lot, if he had the broken barrel to examine.

Glad no one was seriously injured !
    AzQkr likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Probably. It doesn't take much.
    But the bulge is caused from one bullet hitting the other. For the barrel to split like that it would almost have to be a pressure situation from the gasses, which would not bulge a specific area. Or a defective barrel, which is my guess.
    If it wasn't already in use and firing other rounds I'd almost guess there was an obstruction right at the muzzle and it happened the first shot.
    Over on the SCCY forum, one is pictured nearly identical to this blow up. It was sent back and the person who inspected decided it was not ammo related but a bad barrel. He believed it started from the breach end, right side.

Not sure if the pics show it well enough, but there's indication of powder burns on the right side of barrel and the other side is clean. That might be indicative of the same failure reported on the other gun that was inspected.

Sponsor

It looked cast to me as well, but it's been reported their barrels are from bar stock. Sure doesn't give the appearance of bar stock

My guess is that the barrel was over hardened making it brittle. Firing it at the factory and then by the new owner caused micro-fractures in the steel. Even a visual inspection after the penultimate round would have, most likely, shown nothing wrong.

AzQkr and RolandD like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links