SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 8

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* Most people consider Nighthawk quality. It can happen to any maker. Exploded 10mm Nighthawk 1911 - The Firearm Blog Great reminder ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Most people consider Nighthawk quality.

It can happen to any maker.

Exploded 10mm Nighthawk 1911 - The Firearm Blog
    Great reminder that these things aren't toys. There ARE risks associated with the things we freely choose to do.

Thanks, OD*
    AzQkr, TeflonDon, OD* and 5 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Huzzah !

You take home ALL the Kewpie dolls for that move, Brownie !
    It was likely due to the fact I had been running 5K a month through that gun for several years at that point. I guess the subconscious mind picked up the difference in sound and feel. I just got lucky, but the RO and I were all smiles while I stepped off the line and punched it out in the clearing area. The RO actually let me run the stage over for score. Lady luck was smiling upon me once again is all.
    PhaedrusIV and SatCong like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I must say my SCCY has run great .. This is my first SCCY .. But as mentioned by myself and others .. It can happen with any gun maker .. Or any ammo maker ....
    smolck, TeflonDon and OD* like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    I must say my SCCY has run great .. This is my first SCCY .. But as mentioned by myself and others .. It can happen with any gun maker .. Or any ammo maker ....
    I've got a 3 yr old CPX2. It has been flawless (almost, an early failure to lock the slide open at last rd was corrected with new mag springs) and very easy to shoot accurately. It will eat anything I feed it, factory plinking, SD and handloaded ammo. It carries surprisingly well for a 11 rd pistol. Very compact! The trigger pull itself is not a problem. It has lightened up quite a bit over many 100's or rounds (actually just over 1800 now) and is actually pretty smooth. The ONLY thing that I can say I am not a fan of is, the loooong reset. I just need to remember to use the pad of my finger and not the first joint. If I use the joint, the trigger guard keeps my finger back just enough to prevent reset. With the pad, reset is not a problem. So, I practice a lot, using just the pad. The CPX2 is so small, that I used to tend to wrap my finger around the trigger.
    To make this pistol perfect, SCCY should extend/expand the trigger guard about 1/4".
    Petroleum 1 likes this.
    Im tip top, but Im not Robin Hood!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    It was likely due to the fact I had been running 5K a month through that gun for several years at that point. I guess the subconscious mind picked up the difference in sound and feel. I just got lucky, but the RO and I were all smiles while I stepped off the line and punched it out in the clearing area. The RO actually let me run the stage over for score. Lady luck was smiling upon me once again is all.
    If there is any substitute for experience (especially recent experience) Lady Luck would be it. I've heard it said that luck favors the prepared.

I believe that. But certainly, it was luck that saved you (and your friends) from injury when that pink SCCY KB'd.

I'm beginning to think you're also skilled at standing outside the path of shrapnel (probably from experience.)

But I'll take Lady Luck, anytime ! Anytime I can have her, that is...
    AzQkr likes this.

Yes you were lucky. That was always in the back of my mind, that could happen to me. And if I would get off the trigger in time. I seen it take place more then I can recall.
    AzQkr likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Moderator
    More pics
    Guess JB Weld won't fix that.

Above Omaha beach in Normandy, I once saw 150mm German coastal defense guns, both barrel and breach, burst in the same manner and exhibiting the same torn granular structure. They'd been hit by gunfire from the U. S. battleships Arkansas and Texas though. https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...bore-guns.html

A few years back, the local gunsmith showed me this Smith & Wesson Model 60 that a customer brought him, claiming it'd failed when fired with a factory +P load of some sort. Neither of us believe it. I asked if I could photograph the mess. I think it's still hanging around on one of his workbenches as a curiosity yet.

Any gun from any manufacturer can fail. I'd still rather avoid the low-end ones.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Yea, factory +P load +P+P+P
    PhaedrusIV, AzQkr, OD* and 1 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

That Smith is ten kinds of ugly ! Whoa !
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Here's the pics I promised. As can be readily seen, no bulge in the barrel.
    I see now why you didn't post the pics before, pink frame LOL
    OD* likes this.

Any word back from SCCY as to the cause of the failure?
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Sponsor
    They haven't got back to the shop owner as of Friday. If I hear of a response from them through the owner I'll post up what he was told.
    OD* and CIBMike like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Yeah, I traded off the CPX I had. It ran OK, but it still felt kinda "cheap", and one of the pins kept "walking" out while shooting. I have never had this issue with either of my Glocks.
    AzQkr likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

I'm a little late to this thread but a couple of thoughts (sorry for being long-winded):

Notice the slide expands out from the muzzle end of the chamber which seems to suggest that the failure started in the chamber with the pressures pushing up and out toward the muzzle of the weapon. Also notice that the splayed out ends of the slide are still attached to to overall piece (at the hood and just under the extractor). They basically folded out and bent. This shows proper plastic deformation of the metal...i.e. the slide was not brittle. If you see a properly treated barrel that fails due to an obstruction...it blossoms out like a flower. This is what the SCCY slide did, but in the opposite direction.

The barrel on the other hand cracked into straight pieces, no bending, no bulging. Like it shattered. The grain in the barrel is very rough, very striated and very fouled (compare the SCCY crack surfaces with the S&W model 60...the S&W has a lot less fouling on the failure areas). I think the barrel was most likely brittle from the factory and cracked during the pressure of the first few rounds. This allowed the cracks to fill with very dark powder residue from a few fired rounds before failing completely. I may be wrong and all that fouling could have happened when it blew up, but it just looks extremely dark to me for that.

Fortunately the slide seemed to contain the initial barrel failure and kept it from flying in all directions.

Either way...glad no one was hurt.
    AzQkr and RolandD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Great reminder that these things aren't toys. There ARE risks associated with the things we freely choose to do.

Thanks, OD*
    Also a stark reminder of why safety glasses are a MUST.
    AzQkr, RolandD, OD* and 1 others like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin? He replied: A republic, if you can keep it.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links