SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert - Page 9

SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got one of the CPX2 and found this thread. I was using some hornady snap caps to test out extraction,etc before I could ...

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert

I just got one of the CPX2 and found this thread. I was using some hornady snap caps to test out extraction,etc before I could go to the range and I noticed that the lead part gets stuck in the barrel but when I use hornady snap caps but not with federal 9mm ammo or other snap caps. When it got stuck it was VERY difficult to eject and load the next round. Could it be the some thicker lead on the ammo made it get stuck then that was the cause of it blowing up? I have no idea but it definitely got stuck with the hornady's that I've used in 7 other guns of various brands without this happening. You can see on the photo where the lead part on the blue snap cap gets stuck in the chamber and if really fired would be too tight to fit through the barrel but it can still be chambered but makes the slide get stuck but not every single time. Notice the wear from the barrel on the snap cap from being chambered tooSCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-20190305_191106.jpgSCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-20190305_191348.jpgSCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-20190305_203036.jpgSCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-20190305_203120.jpgSCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-20190305_203131.jpgSCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-20190305_203157.jpgSCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-20190305_203236.jpg

My owners manual for my SCCY CPX-2 states on page 15 under ammunition only use 9mm Lugar rounds. That using anything else could cause damage to the firearm personal injury even death I believe he said he was using Remington. That just might have been the cause it might be the size difference that you might not be able to see with the naked eye but something like that could cause catastrophic failure. You're supposed to read the manuals before use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCCY CPX-2 blew up this morning in the desert-message_1560119297465_1560119971333.jpg  

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Good looking out! I was considering getting one of these, perhaps I'll reconsider.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blaz View Post
    My owners manual for my SCCY CPX-2 states on page 15 under ammunition only use 9mm Lugar rounds. That using anything else could cause damage to the firearm personal injury even death I believe he said he was using Remington. That just might have been the cause it might be the size difference that you might not be able to see with the naked eye but something like that could cause catastrophic failure. You're supposed to read the manuals before use.
    You do know that Lugar does not make ammunition? It's only a cartridge designation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by darkriven View Post
    I just got one of the CPX2 and found this thread. I was using some hornady snap caps to test out extraction,etc before I could go to the range and I noticed that the lead part gets stuck in the barrel but when I use hornady snap caps but not with federal 9mm ammo or other snap caps. When it got stuck it was VERY difficult to eject and load the next round. Could it be the some thicker lead on the ammo made it get stuck then that was the cause of it blowing up? I have no idea but it definitely got stuck with the hornady's that I've used in 7 other guns of various brands without this happening. You can see on the photo where the lead part on the blue snap cap gets stuck in the chamber and if really fired would be too tight to fit through the barrel but it can still be chambered but makes the slide get stuck but not every single time. Notice the wear from the barrel on the snap cap from being chambered tooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_191106.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	291090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_191348.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	291092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_203036.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	291094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_203120.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	291096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_203131.jpg 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	291098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_203157.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	291100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_203236.jpg 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	291102
    Difference in bullet shapes and ogive engaging the rifling. The Hornady bullet is not seated deeply enough.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep, ogive shape looks different. I'd check the OAL of those cartridges and possibly even re-seat them a tad deeper, assuming you have that capability. It might also be worth measuring the leade.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You do know that Lugar does not make ammunition? It's only a cartridge designation.
    Are you feeling ok, OV? The lack of sarcasm had me worried.

Simply put, 9x19mm round is the 9mm Luger round. It’s also 9mm Parabellum AND 9mm NATO. It’s all the same bullet and cartridge. Manufacturers may vary.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Are you feeling ok, OV? The lack of sarcasm had me worried.
    I've never had a sarcastic day in my life. Sarcastic weeks and months are so much more time efficient.
    Bad Bob and Bigsteve113 like this.

Was there ever a definitive answer as to how this failure occurred? I recall reading something about a bad batch of outsourced barrels, but I don't think it was ever confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    I almost bought one of those. I was looking for a small, lightweight, inexpensive 9mm for summer carry. I narrowed it down to a SCCY or a keltec. I went with the Keltec and I am glad I did. Not that I Believe that one rotten apple ruins the bunch it's just that I am both very surprised and pleased at my PF nine's performance and accuracy for a small inexpensive gun.
    The SCCY is a copy of the Keltec........
    Wavygravy likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaz View Post
    My owners manual for my SCCY CPX-2 states on page 15 under ammunition only use 9mm Lugar rounds. That using anything else could cause damage to the firearm personal injury even death I believe he said he was using Remington.

Luger.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum
    AzQkr and PhaedrusIV like this.

If we all lived by the standard that because a mechanical device failed catastrophically we would not use one we would be living in mud huts eating raw fish......
    OD*, Wavygravy, SatCong and 4 others like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    Was there ever a definitive answer as to how this failure occurred? I recall reading something about a bad batch of outsourced barrels, but I don't think it was ever confirmed
    That's what was determined when people on the SCCY forum put their serial numbers of similar failures on a list. Seems a bad batch run of barrels was the culprit within a certain serial number range. There was no direct response from SCCY to the ffl who bought it for his wife, other than replacing the gun itself.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

A exploding gun may tend to sour a guy on a certain brand.
    OD* likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    A exploding gun may tend to sour a guy on a certain brand.
    Yup, I wasn't enamored with the SCCY quality to begin with, it blowing up next to me confirmed that inexpensive product isn't something I want to be around. I keep my mouth shut at the shop, the owners sell enough of them. I refuse to deal with a customer who wants to look at one or asks question of them, turning that over to the other two while I walk off. I want nothing to do with recommending nor selling one to a customer.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links