CCW for backpacking - Page 2

CCW for backpacking

This is a discussion on CCW for backpacking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep mine in a pack pouch I can access using a mic holster MIC HOLSTER SYSTEMS- Home of the Original MIC Holster since 1997 ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: CCW for backpacking

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    I keep mine in a pack pouch I can access using a mic holster MIC HOLSTER SYSTEMS- Home of the Original MIC Holster since 1997 They even make them for revolvers. The 357 would be my choice to and you could bring some spare ammo in a small dry bag.

Also use the MIC for glove box and night stand storage. Carries nice too.
    WuLiPuOva likes this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

When I was backpacking a lot, I carried a 1911 in a older military chest holster with the retention strap. Button up shirt over for concealment. In bear country, same rig but with the 10mm 1911. I'd just leave the shirt unbuttoned most of the time.
    OD*, G26Raven, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a fanny pack as long as you're good with having another belt going around your waist while you're hiking. Both my hunting pack and my bail-out pack have wide hip belts to help support the weight of the pack which is primarily carried on the hips. There is also no room to fasten a fanny pack on my waist when I am wearing my pack.

Saving money is great, but saving money at the cost of comfort, convenience, and practicality is not something I am willing to do. A fanny pack sounds great in theory, but doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint, and I do own a fanny pack.
    Gotcha. As much as it pains me to say, 511 has something similar to what you are talking about. Covrt Pistol Pouch. Connects to the shoulder straps or however you want to carry it.
    G26Raven and Eagle_Beak like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry an SP101 357 when I hike. I have to carry concealed because of Florida's laws, so I carry IWB at about 4:00 o'clock. My backpack strap is above where the SP101 rests. It's a little awkward, but it's useable. I've seen rigs that attach to the pack straps and they seem like they would be more comfortable and allow easier access to the weapon.
    5lima30ret and Goldy49 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

For hiking purposes a .357 is tough to beat although I would prefer a 6 shot vs 5 shot. I know you have a G-26 but if you traded that for a G-27 that would be a pretty good hiking gun especially with the increased capacity in a fairly compact package. A .40 with the right loads actually make a pretty decent woods gun in the lower 48. I had to put down a few fairly large animals (including an injured horse) over the years with my duty .40 and it worked just as well as .357 IME. Good luck!
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    For hiking purposes a .357 is tough to beat although I would prefer a 6 shot vs 5 shot. I know you have a G-26 but if you traded that for a G-27 that would be a pretty good hiking gun especially with the increased capacity in a fairly compact package. A .40 with the right loads actually make a pretty decent woods gun in the lower 48. I had to put down a few fairly large animals (including an injured horse) over the years with my duty .40 and it worked just as well as .357 IME. Good luck!
    I've carried my Glock 27 and I think a 40 caliber is adequate for most of what I'll run into. The biggest threat around here is rabid skunks and coons, followed by 2 legged varmints. There are black bears, too, but they generally don't bother me.
    G26Raven and 5lima30ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Ruger .357 or your XD-S .45 with hardcast,
    45 ACP+P 255gr. SWC Hardcast 20rds.

if not a 10mm.

As for a gun inside a pack.

I use a small/thin pocket holster if my bag or fanny pack doesn't have an actual
    holster.

It might take a few seconds to clear the holster and the bag, but the safety factor
    while your gun is bounced around in the bag the other 99% of the time, is there.

Just my 2 cents worth:0
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

My backpacking/camping deep woods rig was always my S&W 586 .357/6" and a vertical shoulder holster. Usually OC so any Park Rangers don't get over concerned. On real hikes I had a Jansport titanium framed backpack where I could attach a holster easily and that was even easier. I always had 3-4 speed loaders in a side pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    My backpacking/camping deep woods rig was always my S&W 586 .357/6" and a vertical shoulder holster. Usually OC so any Park Rangers don't get over concerned. On real hikes I had a Jansport titanium framed backpack where I could attach a holster easily and that was even easier. I always had 3-4 speed loaders in a side pouch.
    On a side note, I spent some time in Colorado last week, and did quite a bit of hiking. I was rather amazed at the number of people I came across on the trails open-carrying. I talked to a couple of them about it. Most of them had a ballistic nylon rig on their belts. A few had what appeared to be Mitch Rosen rigs for 1911's, and one had a Blackhawk SERPA for his 1911. Never have I felt safer than on those trails...:) Nice to know there are good armed citizens out there who can back you up if trouble came calling.

I couldn't quite make myself flaunt my weapon, though. Even amidst kindred spirits. I think I can get used to the idea, though. It will just take a bit more exposure.
    G26Raven and Goldy49 like this.

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    OP - Is there a possibility of grizzly bears in your hiking? If so, I'd give serious consideration to a S&W 629 in .44 magnum. I owned a 3-inch barrel version with ported barrel at one time called the Trail Boss ... fairly easy to hide, a 'bear' to shoot, but just what the doctor ordered for a shot to the head of an attacking bear. Nice lineup of handguns, by the way, and welcome to the forum.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

That 3" .44 magnum is perfect. It's about the loudest thing you can carry; perfect for scaring off bears. I don't think I'd count on a handgun shot to the head of a charging grizzly though.

I prefer revolvers for hiking. There is just less "stuff" to deal with (magazines, moving parts). The SP101 is the go to fishing sidearm in a shoulder rig. As for backpacking, anything that gets the pistol off your belt.
    Psalm 144:1

I think I would carry in a holster that straps across my chest if I was doing some serious hiking other wise I would OC in a hip holster.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    Stay sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by 94toy22re View Post
    First off the this is my Current collection of handguns
    CZ PCR 9mm
    Glock 20
    Glock 21
    Glock 26
    Springfield XDS 45ACP
    Ruger SP101 3" 357
    Ruger LCR 357

I carry 26/XDS daily but they become nuisance after about 10 mile carrying IWB. I'm thing about ordering ( ULTRALIGHT GRAB BAG - Osprey Packs Official Site ) to clip on to should straps of my pack for CCW. I really want to trade in the LCR for a Glock 29 but I'm concerned about the 29 not being in a holster when carrying in the osprey grab bag. Any one have any experience backpacking with gun? My goals are comfort, lightweight and not looking tactical! I'm allowed to carry open on some of the places i go but i want to blend in with everyone and not stand out.
    I'd carry the G21...maybe look at the 10mm slide and barrel and carry that in the back woods.
    Eagle_Beak likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by 94toy22re View Post
    First off the this is my Current collection of handguns
    CZ PCR 9mm
    Glock 20
    Glock 21
    Glock 26
    Springfield XDS 45ACP
    Ruger SP101 3" 357
    Ruger LCR 357

I carry 26/XDS daily but they become nuisance after about 10 mile carrying IWB. I'm thing about ordering ( ULTRALIGHT GRAB BAG - Osprey Packs Official Site ) to clip on to should straps of my pack for CCW. I really want to trade in the LCR for a Glock 29 but I'm concerned about the 29 not being in a holster when carrying in the osprey grab bag. Any one have any experience backpacking with gun? My goals are comfort, lightweight and not looking tactical! I'm allowed to carry open on some of the places i go but i want to blend in with everyone and not stand out.
    If you're concerned about an uncovered trigger in your shoulder strap or hipbelt bag, why not rig a MIC or Black Rhino Concealment trigger holster so when you draw from the Osprey it would pull free. Not exactly the fastest draw, but nothing will be. Would work very well for either of your Rugers.

With your choice of guns and it were me, I would have the LCR in my pocket and the SP101 anyplace I could carry it. Even if I had to move the SP from AIWB to on the waist to in a pack of some sort. But, that's me.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links