CCW for backpacking - Page 3

CCW for backpacking

This is a discussion on CCW for backpacking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is great question, and I'm loving all the answers I'm seeing on here. I haven't had to worry about this much, because Michigan has ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: CCW for backpacking

This is great question, and I'm loving all the answers I'm seeing on here.

I haven't had to worry about this much, because Michigan has Open Carry, and for me personally, I don't mind open carrying while I'm in the bush, because most people are more understanding about firearms in a rugged environment.

HOWEVER, I'm sure I'll be backpacking soon in a state where open carry is prohibited, so I need to start looking at my options as well.

I'd say while backpacking people are typically worried about 4-legged attackers, in which case most people will recommend 10mm, .357, or maybe .45 (for smaller threats), or perhaps .44 mag if you're worried about HUGE animals coming to get you. It seems like you are primarily an auto-pistol fan, so you may want to give your 10mm Glock a chance, or look into .357Sig autos too. Of course I'm going to recommend you check out the Sig line of pistols. I don't know a lot about the .357Sig, but I know that it is similar to the 40.cal, but has similar muzzle energy as lighter .357Mag loads. You could start with these sources:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/7-t...-357-sig-sort/
    http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/happened-357-sig/
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...vs-40-s-w.html

My philosophy is to carry a G43 in my backpack waist pouch (7+1). I feel if I'm going to be in bear country, I'd need a really big gun - and I don't want to carry one. So, I simply add a can of bear spray.
    5lima30ret and Rockymonster like this.

Walther PPK/s 22LR. Easy head shots for small game , also great for rattlers and cotton mouths . I am also confident with it for defense against 2 leggers if necessary. Easy ammo carry for plinking . On rare occasions when grizzlies and /or large cats are likely , SIG P239 357SIG . Budget keeps me out of Alaska most of the time .
    OD* likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    There is also no room to fasten a fanny pack on my waist when I am wearing my pack.
    I have tried just about everything and the fanny pack is the ticket. Friend of mine uses this set up all the time. Put the FP on first and run the pack's waist belt under/behind the FP pouch. The FP belt is probably a little higher than you would normally wear it when done this way. Very comfy for a 19/17 and a spare mag or two. I tried a safe packer, shoulder rig, etc and this is the hands down winner.

BTW, I've done this with a large Osprey and a lightweight rig without issue.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    IMHO , OD has the best solution for backpack carry . I own one the their bags and love everything about it , not one dislike . Plus it will handle other gear you want to keep handy .

I have a fixed blade knife upside down on mine for quick deployment .
    OD* and tmoore912 like this.

My J-frame humpbacks 638 (.38+P) and 649 (.357) fits comfortably in the hipbelt pocket of my pack.

Disantis makes a nemesis pocket holster for Glock 27, but maybe not 29. Too bad, fits nicely in Bagmaster fanny pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CCW for backpacking-img_3312.jpg  

CCW for backpacking-img_3310.jpg  

CCW for backpacking-img_3309.jpg  

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I have done a literal crap ton of backpacking and I have come up with two ways to comfortably carry a gun while toting a 25-30lb pack (Granite Gear A.C. Blaze). My favorite option is a Ruger LCP in a soft pocket holster in my front right pocket and the second favorite option is a Ruger LCR 22 in a carrying pouch attached to the waist strap. It has a retention band and so I just leave the zipper mostly undone and it works pretty well without advertising that I am carrying.

I have tried shoulder type rigs, or rigs that attach to the chest strap of your backpack, exc. The problem with all of those is that they rub, they're uncomfortable, and they just plain make your hiking experience suck. So if your dead set on a gun in the G26 size range I would look at a carrying pouch similar to the one I linked and attach it to your belt somehow (it has webbing on the back and includes "malice" clips). Even this option though begins to get irritating by by the end of day, it tugs on one side and starts to chafe.
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I have done a literal crap ton of backpacking and I have come up with two ways to comfortably carry a gun while toting a 25-30lb pack (Granite Gear A.C. Blaze). My favorite option is a Ruger LCP in a soft pocket holster in my front right pocket and the second favorite option is a Ruger LCR 22 in a carrying pouch attached to the waist strap. It has a retention band and so I just leave the zipper mostly undone and it works pretty well without advertising that I am carrying.

I have tried shoulder type rigs, or rigs that attach to the chest strap of your backpack, exc. The problem with all of those is that they rub, they're uncomfortable, and they just plain make your hiking experience suck. So if your dead set on a gun in the G26 size range I would look at a carrying pouch similar to the one I linked and attach it to your belt somehow (it has webbing on the back and includes "malice" clips). Even this option though begins to get irritating by by the end of day, it tugs on one side and starts to chafe.
    I assume you've used one of the Hill People Gear Kit Bags? You're the first I've heard say they caused any problems, what was uncomfortable about the HPG kit bags?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

jrd
    OK, here goes. I have done a lot of 4 wheeling in Jeeps all over hell and back (translation - the western US) and for a couple of years I carried a Ruger Redhawk SS in 44 mag. As a "Plan B" I always had a long gun in the jeep usually a Mini-14 in .223/5.56. At some point I read and article in a magazine (Guns and Ammo I think) that when a firearm is "needed" in the wild that 95% of the time it was for a 2 legged critter and NOT a 4 legged one. That got me to thinking about my basic plan. While a Ruger Redhawk is certainly a serviceable side arm, and I was very competent and comfortable with it, it still has only 6 shots then reload (I carried 2 speed loaders). A total of 18 - OK but not serious. I changed to a Glock 21 (.45 ACP) with 2 spare mags. 14+13+13=40 total of .45 ACP. Seemed a lot better option.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welder516 View Post
    IMHO , OD has the best solution for backpack carry . I own one the their bags and love everything about it , not one dislike . Plus it will handle other gear you want to keep handy .

I have a fixed blade knife upside down on mine for quick deployment .

Welder516: Which bag did you get? I'm pondering which size I want.
    Welder516 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Welder516: Which bag did you get? I'm pondering which size I want.
    I have the "Recon" model measures 12" wide x 8" tall and looks like it will expand to approx. 4" to 5" thick it holds a S&W 44.mag revolver and a M&P .40c with a Black Arch holster . Plus it has loops to hang gear on the outside .
    I bought on E-Bay as the Hill People site did not have the color I was looking for in stock .

+1 on the HillPeopleGear Kit Bags. Long time user of a Runners kit bag model for hiking, camping, mountain biking and hunting.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

HPG chest rig hear also. Great for woods bumming. G19 is what I normally carry in it.
    Welder516 and tmoore912 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    You have a nice group to select from...probably not a bad choice in the group.

I carry this Cimarron Model P in .44 Special...light and powerful.

CCW for backpacking-p1100511_zps3039c458.jpg
    OD* likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links