CCW for backpacking - Page 4

CCW for backpacking

This is a discussion on CCW for backpacking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure why being concealed is a priority when backpacking, but that's your call. I've tried it with several different handguns and have settled on ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: CCW for backpacking

Not sure why being concealed is a priority when backpacking, but that's your call. I've tried it with several different handguns and have settled on a tanker (across the chest) flap holster for my G24 (.357 Sig conversion) when 4-wheeling with a backpack. Very secure yet convenient, unincumbered draw & no one seems to notice it between my pack's shoulder straps. I also have fanny packs from Northface and KaBar (TDI) if CC is necessary. Both will easily carry full size handguns covertly. I wear the Northface with water bottle(s) & the TDI practically disappears in front at my waistline.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I carry a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag in an Alaskan Chest holster. Works for two or four legged critters.
    Haywood likes this.
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I assume you've used one of the Hill People Gear Kit Bags? You're the first I've heard say they caused any problems, what was uncomfortable about the HPG kit bags?
    It isn't just the comfort level (but it does rub in weird ways and is an extra layer of heat and sweat), the way it attaches to your backpack is not conducive to easily taking your pack off when you want to. It just eventually becomes a pain in the butt after 3 or 4 days of hiking.

The kit bag is very comfortable if you don't have a pack on though.
    OD* likes this.
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    It isn't just the comfort level (but it does rub in weird ways and is an extra layer of heat and sweat), the way it attaches to your backpack is not conducive to easily taking your pack off when you want to. It just eventually becomes a pain in the butt after 3 or 4 days of hiking.

The kit bag is very comfortable if you don't have a pack on though.
    Thank you, sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

So a little update, I ordered the Osprey Grab Bag and it has been perfect. It attaches to the straps on my pack and can easily adjustable with the straps. I have taken it on 10 20+ mile mountain bike rides and several 10 mile day hikes and have had 0 issues. I have been using the Glock 26 in a MIC holster with a +1 mag extension i still have a little room to spare so I'm thinking a Glock 29 is in my future. I have also sold off the XDS 45 and the LCR 357 and bought a CZ P01 Tactical.

I use a concealed carry fanny pack from 511 tactical.

Concealed Carry Fanny Pack Pistol Pouch | Official 5.11 Site

Works fine for my S&W Shield!

Love that pack you bought though!
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    Not to sound like the old guy in the room, but what's wrong with a fanny pack? You could buy a fanny pack made especially for concealed carry and have enough left over to buy another holster for what they want on the Safepacker. The Ultralight may be OK, but I doubt it has any retention to keep your firearm from bouncing all around.
    Great idea, I had a fanny pack back in 2000 designed for Carry and I Carried my G20/21 and it worked out great for outdoor activities e.g. backpacking. I even used it a few times runnning a chainsaw for fire wood. Ahhh, those were the days.
    Morbidrealities likes this.

In the woods, backpacking, hiking or dispersed camping, I carry a Taurus revolver in a pants cargo pocket. Usually it's loaded with CCI #4 shot shells in 38spl but I also usually have a couple strips of ball ammo in the pocket too.

I haven't carried backpacking yet, because we are new gun owners, and just received our CHPs, but am considering packing a Bersa 380 or LC-9s. I am not too worried about 4 legged critters, just humans.

My wife and I use ULA Ohm backpacks, and the hip belt pockets are 1 liter each. I haven't tried putting a pistol in the pocket yet, but am confident it will easily fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Not sure why being concealed is a priority when backpacking, but that's your call.
    Depends where you live. When I lived in Kommiefornia, even if you were out hiking, you could run into people who would freak out if you were openly carrying a weapon (which is now illegal in California anyway). Would not have wanted to have them call a warden or ranger on me.
    OD* likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

I've carried either my Glock 40 MOS or Ruger Toklat in the HPG Original Kit Bag. I am a backpacker of many decades and the OKB is the best piece of outdoor gear I've ever purchased.
    G26Raven likes this.

Senior Member Array GreenMan0352's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 94toy22re View Post
    First off the this is my Current collection of handguns
    CZ PCR 9mm
    Glock 20
    Glock 21
    Glock 26
    Springfield XDS 45ACP
    Ruger SP101 3" 357
    Ruger LCR 357

I carry 26/XDS daily but they become nuisance after about 10 mile carrying IWB. I'm thing about ordering ( ULTRALIGHT GRAB BAG - Osprey Packs Official Site ) to clip on to should straps of my pack for CCW. I really want to trade in the LCR for a Glock 29 but I'm concerned about the 29 not being in a holster when carrying in the osprey grab bag. Any one have any experience backpacking with gun? My goals are comfort, lightweight and not looking tactical! I'm allowed to carry open on some of the places i go but i want to blend in with everyone and not stand out.
    I would go with the Glock 20 anytime I hike I carry one of my 10mm's and I would just duct tape it to my belly. Kidding kidding lol but I would stick to 10mm I'm not sure about carrying concealed maybe one of those belly band holsters? They get hot though I tried it out and it wasn't for me. How much gear are you going to carry? What will you be wearing? If pants you could ankle carry the LCR and just keep the 20 stowed away in your pack.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links