CCW for backpacking

CCW for backpacking

This is a discussion on CCW for backpacking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off the this is my Current collection of handguns CZ PCR 9mm Glock 20 Glock 21 Glock 26 Springfield XDS 45ACP Ruger SP101 3" ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: CCW for backpacking

CCW for backpacking

First off the this is my Current collection of handguns
    CZ PCR 9mm
    Glock 20
    Glock 21
    Glock 26
    Springfield XDS 45ACP
    Ruger SP101 3" 357
    Ruger LCR 357

I carry 26/XDS daily but they become nuisance after about 10 mile carrying IWB. I'm thing about ordering ( ULTRALIGHT GRAB BAG - Osprey Packs Official Site ) to clip on to should straps of my pack for CCW. I really want to trade in the LCR for a Glock 29 but I'm concerned about the 29 not being in a holster when carrying in the osprey grab bag. Any one have any experience backpacking with gun? My goals are comfort, lightweight and not looking tactical! I'm allowed to carry open on some of the places i go but i want to blend in with everyone and not stand out.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Senior Moderator
    One of the problems with carrying while backpacking is the interference between the holster's location and the backpack, or its straps. IWB for me while hiking would be a non-starter, and I give you credit for trying! Give some thought to a crossdraw rig for use while hiking. In places where concealed carry is the prudent choice, a loose-fitting shirt over the holstered gun should provide sufficient concealment. Crossdraw might not be optimum for daily use, but it sure beats burying the gun in the backpack or even in a SafePacker.

As for the gun itself, I would avoid the small/pocket pistols, which leaves out the LCR, SP101 and XDS at the starting gate. I kinda set a Commander-length 1911 as a minimum threshold for trail use, in terms of cartridge and capacity, and 5+1/6+1 guns fall short - but that's this guy's opinion. If I'm limited to 6 rounds, they'll be my warm .38 reloads in a K-frame, or I'll choose a 1911 or my Glock 23. Of your inventory, I'd lean toward the G20.

And pardon the lapse in my manners - welcome to the Forum!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Welcome to DC from Central Ohio!
    CCW for backpacking-welcomemat9-small-.jpg

Would this work with your pack or the Osprey Bag? https://warfytr.com/products/liberty-holster

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The Wilderness Safepacker actually works very well. The biggest issue with it is how to secure it to your pack. I keep one on my hunting pack which will carry either my G26 with a grip extension or my G19. I also keep one on my bail-out pack in my truck. It provides very quick access to your pistol yet conceals it if you need to hike through an area with non-firearms oriented individuals.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

VIP Member
    I have found the Safepacker to be a good way to go. I've been thinking of going the chest pack route (cannot remeber the brand but it has a great following).
    OD* likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Not to sound like the old guy in the room, but what's wrong with a fanny pack? You could buy a fanny pack made especially for concealed carry and have enough left over to buy another holster for what they want on the Safepacker. The Ultralight may be OK, but I doubt it has any retention to keep your firearm from bouncing all around.

For hiking .. I like , light , simplicity, and a powerful enough cartridge .. Your LCR 357 seems to fit the bill..

For me my Charter Arms Bull Dawg 44spl fulfills my needs ..

For me I'd carry the G21. OK doesn't have big predators unless you want to count the ever elusive mountain lion and ever present human. I'd still rather have 14 ready rounds and 13 on standby of .45 than 5 x .357 with another 5 in a speed loader.

Plus, as much as it pains me to say, its a Glock and it'll work no matter what
    marcclarke likes this.

Sometime I carry a maxpedition pack for CC and sometime I just use it to carry a 2nd gun

Saw a fella at the gun show yesterday that had a chest pack, first time I ever saw one in the wild lol. Wouldn't think that it would look too outa place while backpacking. But I don't backpack so I don't know what y'all are supposed to look like lol.

Howdy from Houston!
    The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD Proverbs 21:31
    (pm me if you have any Bible questions)

Welcome to the Forum.
    As far as your hiking needs, I'd first as the conditions you hike.
    what threats compel you to carry?
    2 legged likely, but are you at risk for 4 leggers too?
    You cannot go wrong with the .357, but you also have the G20, a great powerhouse.
    I'd also suggest a fanny pack. Uncle mikes produces one that will fit your G20....I know, because I have one that fits my G17 and N frames.
    Beyond the 'stigma' of the fanny pack, it'll allow you to carry it in an appendix position, free of your pack, and accessible. I have a Maxpedition pack that allows you to CC, but it is difficult to get-to-fast, unless you practice drawing with it.

Good luck
    “Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”
    ― Mark Twain

Use your head for more than a hat rack.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    I have found the Safepacker to be a good way to go. I've been thinking of going the chest pack route (cannot remeber the brand but it has a great following).
    Hill People Gear
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

2nd for the Hill People Gear "Kit Bag" (which ever one you like).

This is what I use, and I've never even got a 2nd glance when I've run into someone hiking. Plenty of room for pistol, reload and some other essentials. It's pretty comfortable, and you can also get the connecting straps to quick connect to your packs shoulder straps.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    Not to sound like the old guy in the room, but what's wrong with a fanny pack?
    There's nothing wrong with a fanny pack as long as you're good with having another belt going around your waist while you're hiking. Both my hunting pack and my bail-out pack have wide hip belts to help support the weight of the pack which is primarily carried on the hips. There is also no room to fasten a fanny pack on my waist when I am wearing my pack.

Saving money is great, but saving money at the cost of comfort, convenience, and practicality is not something I am willing to do. A fanny pack sounds great in theory, but doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint, and I do own a fanny pack.
    OD* and Morbidrealities like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Sounds like "Hills have eye's people".
    Goldy49, OD*, SatCong and 2 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links