New Gen4 19 and not happy - Page 3

New Gen4 19 and not happy

This is a discussion on New Gen4 19 and not happy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of all the handguns I've owned over the years, the Glock platform has been the most difficult to learn to shoot well. While none of ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: New Gen4 19 and not happy

Of all the handguns I've owned over the years, the Glock platform has been the most difficult to learn to shoot well. While none of my multiple Glocks have shot as bad as you describe, it took a lot of time and work for me to feel comfortable with it. The weird grip angle along with the unnecessary and stupidly placed hump (in my opinion) are the factors that make a Glock difficult. Now, after multiple Glocks and years of shooting them I have become used to the platform and currently have two Gen 4 Model 19s.

I have never owned an inaccurate Glock. Maybe your G19 is one of the few that truly has something wrong to cause inaccuracy. My normal routine for any new handgun is to shoot it at least a hundred rounds from a solid bench rest to determine accuracy and the point of aim/point of impact for that particular gun.

I have several of the polymer strikers considered by many shooters to be some of the better ones. That includes the PPQ, VP9, FNS, P320 and P99 along with my Glock 19s. From a bench rest it is difficult to tell the difference in accuracy between them. Shooting them off-hand I am always slightly more accurate with all the others than I am with the Glock 19s. Part of that may be that all the others have better triggers than the Glocks, but also because of the better grips on the others as opposed to the Glocks. At least I think that is true for me.

As others have said, it is unlikely though possible, that it could be the gun. More than likely it is because the very different grip configuration. Shooting it from a solid bench rest may help you determine the gun's true accuracy, along with having other shooters give it a few rounds down range as a double check.

OP, good luck with you new Glock. Hope it works out for you as the Model 19 it is a very nice handgun.

Well it got better today. Put around 250 rounds through it. Changed my grip and where my finger rest on the trigger.

This is 45 rounds at 7 yards

This is 45 at 15 yards. Opened up a bit.

This is 60 at 10 yards. Need to practice more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TactiCarl likes this.

Practice.
    Dry firing helps too.
    “Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”
    ― Mark Twain

Use your head for more than a hat rack.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Keep on shooting it - I think you'll find that things improve greatly. As others have said, Glocks are different enough that they sometimes require a little extra work to shoot well. But if you'll dedicate yourself to it, the benefits are hard to beat, IMHO. And, if worse comes to worse, you can sell it and move on to something that fits you better. Lots of good choices out there, and a G19 will sell pretty quickly...

I don't want to sell it at all. Main reason I wanted it is I'm building an AR 9 pistol that uses Glock mags. Wanted something that can interchange. I think it'll come around, just need to shoot and then shoot some more.

multistage likes this.

Here's the gig: Glocks are their own animal. The end.

Call it what you will. The hump, the grip angle, the distinctive feel, whatever. Glocks are unique. This includes how they shoot. I've owned a bunch. Make no mistake, they are simply outstanding firearms. But if you aren't used to them, you'll have a time of it until you are. And then they'll sing for you.

Keep shooting it. Its yours now, and you've shot it, so you'll take a bath if you dump it. But if you keep shooting it, you'll click with it soon enough.

And then you'll sing praises like all of the other Glock guys.

And don't trick it out. Set it up with sights, but don't go trying to jock up the trigger. Leave it be, put in your time, and master it stock.
    Shootnlead and glockcoma like this.

Mine was pretty good out of the box.

Didn't read through all of the replies, so I may be repeating some of what others have said.

I've personally noticed that the gen3 and gen4 trigger pulls felt a little different to me. I was dead on with the gen3, gen4 took a few extra boxes to get used to. They are much different from anything Springfield, S&W, Ruger, etc. have to offer.

Get out and shoot it some more before you totally give up.

Sometimes a gun just isnt "for you". Owning a Glock made me a non Glock owner. I was great accuracy wise they juat never felt right in hand...always after a few shots i was repositioning my hand having to change and or get a better/different grip on it (it was a Glock 23 2nd gen) so I finally gave up and sold it...Glocks are the Only gun on the market I have this issue with. Dont know why just do. Its totally possible that this just isn't your cup of tea.

I stuck with mine for 2.5 years before finally giving up on my notion of I will learn and or get used to the horrid grips/grip angle. And now I ahve a Ruger SR9c that i got when i traded in the Glock 23..I consider it a UPGRADE in every way possible. ..better grips/grip angle, stock fully adjustable sights, stock ambi controls for mag release and safeties....thinner

Maybe this just isnt the gun for you. Now days Glock is just another fish in a giant sea of fish that are just as reliable,acccurate,etc,etc....just go catch another fish :)

I completely disagree with those who say to leave your Glock stock. I own over a dozen 1911's. ALL of them have been customized by some top gunsmiths to make them run better, smoother, and more accurately. I have several highly customized revolvers as well. I see no reason to leave a gun stock, if customizing them will help me shoot them better. My Glock 19 has had the Zev custom trigger and the grip treatment as well. Soon I'll be adding a Trijicon RMR sight and some suppressor iron sights to it, my vision has taken a dump and I just don't shoot irons very well any more.

Having a gun customized makes it 'mine.'

Funny - OP says he's shooting ok with it now but others are still debating whether he should keep it.
    glockcoma, Tcounty and mhl6493 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I have a hard time with Glock's stock sights, but shoot well with 3 dot sights. Maybe look into switching to these?

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-GL05...ds=glock+3+dot

You have two choices.

1. Invest - Spend money at the range, and possibly modifying your glock (sights, grip, trigger, etc)
    2. Buy a different, possibly more recently designed pistol and shoot well (HK VP9, Sig P320, Walther PPQ, etc)

New Gen4 19 and not happy-colt1911c.jpg
    "The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationship in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."
    - John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcounty View Post
    Bought a new Glock gen4 19 , shot it for the first time today. At 10 yards I might have had 10 out of 45 rounds in a 6" circle. My XD subcompact was 15/15 from the same distance. Now I was using cheap ammo but the XD, Baby Eagle and even a Taurus 709 shot it fine and accurate. This was in the back yard. I'm going to try to go to the range tomorrow and put a few hundred rounds through it at 5 yards and see what happens. Do Glocks have to be broken in? I'm very disappointed so far.

No they don't have to be broken in. The accuracy issues isn't the gun, it's you. Glocks may not be for you. Could be grip angle or the trigger. Stock glocks can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards out of the box if the shooter does his part.

Quote Originally Posted by TactiCarl View Post
    Funny - OP says he's shooting ok with it now but others are still debating whether he should keep it.
    Lol and it keeps getting worse, I may need to go buy something lol.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links