Big guns - Page 2

Big guns

This is a discussion on Big guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying one of the HK USP compact models a lot lately. Not huge guns, not tiny guns. They fit me well, are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Big guns

I have been carrying one of the HK USP compact models a lot lately.

Not huge guns, not tiny guns. They fit me well, are accurate and super reliable, with a decent capacity.

Carry what you are comfortable carrying.

For me capacity is a "side effect" of the size pistols I prefer to carry.

I really like and shoot the mid-sized, G19 sized pistols pretty well due to a combination of; sight radius, recoil mitigation, ability to get a solid two-hand grip etc. While I do shoot a full or serviced sized pistol better, the compacts are a decent compromise between shoot-ability and conceal-ability. I've also gone to polymer to save some weight after years of being a 1911 guy. The idea of carrying a 40+ ounces for 8-9 rounds no longer appealed to me. It took me a while to be able to shoot anything without a 1911 trigger well, but I've gotten over it.

Just so happens that most of the polymer midsized pistol are double stacks with decent capacity.

So based on my chosen size and frame materials I ended up with a 12+1 (357 SIG, HK P2000) to 15+1 (9mm, Walther PPQ) capacity.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

My smallest also the HK P2000sk 9+1 = Gets carried a lot in the summer time cause it is easy to conceal
    I have a P229C 357sig 12 + 1 that too carries quite comfortably in a Milt Sparks IWB Summer or Winter.
    My Winter Carry is my P30 13 + 1
    And my go to without much thought on how I want to dress is my G23 13 + 1
    Lastly my LCR357 using it as my doing my Saturday morning errands kind of CCW.

And in most cases, I do not bring a spare mag along. With the exception of the LCR, will bring a couple speed strips with me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I too moved up from my Springfield XDS with 8+1 and a 9 round reload to a Sig P320sc with 12+1 and a 15 round reload. I really like how the Sig shoots, been very pleased with the change.
    FLSlim and Bad Bob like this.

VIP Member
    I have gradually made my edc way up from a Kimber Ultra Carry II in the beginning to a Glock 21 now. Occasionally I will carry my Glock 17, but not often.
    Bad Bob and Grantspastor like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Although I have been known to run a 1911. But I don't consider a Commander to be a carry gun by today's standards, even though guys have been carrying 1911s forever. Seems like modern "carry" guns are, while excellent, lower capacity and easier to carry. And not nearly as easy to shoot as a 1911.

I have no plans to be in an extended firefight (none do), but when I see what has been going on lately, and see no reason for it to abate, I prefer a fighting gun these days.
    And that's really the rub, isn't it. Are you carrying enough gun for YOU to FIGHT with?

Every time the discussion of "am I carrying enough gun to defend myself and my family" comes up, I think that if people truly thought hard about it, they would end up asking themselves if they are carrying an actual fighting pistol. The active portion of "gunfight" isn't gun....it's fight.

To my mind a fighting gun may be a single stack or a double stack, polymer or metal frame, it may be a wheelgun or a bottom feeder, and it may be in 9mm, .40, .45, .357 SIG, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .41 Magnum, 10mm, .38 Super, .45 Super, 9x25 Dillon....and it can be black, chrome, purple, or even pink. Regardless of all that, it has a few specific attributes:

#1. It has a sight radius that when combined with your skills level enables accurate hits on target at 15 or so yards.

#2. All of it's controls are of a design and size that your skill level allows you to effectively operate them under stress.

#3. The firearm and it's associated paraphernalia contain enough ammunition that your skill level will allow you to stay in the fight until it is over.

#4. The firearm has enough real estate on the grip for your skills to allow you to grip it effectively and get rapid follow up shots on target.

I would wager that Jerry Miculek could meet all of the above criteria with a J frame and couple speed loaders in his pocket....and his split times would probably still be between 0.16 and 0.18 for every round.

For us mere mortals, we need to make sure that the firearm offsets some of the differential in skill level. At my current skill level I am 100% comfortable with any of the following carry pistols:

H&K USPc
    H&K 45c
    H&K P2000
    Glock 20
    Sig Nightmare Carry 1911

Regardless of which firearm I am carrying, I always have a minimum of one full capacity magazine as a spare, along with an effective defensive knife and a flashlight suitable for defensive use. If I am carrying the 1911 or the HK45c, I make a point to have a standard capacity mag on my belt, and another one in a pocket. If my clothing won't accommodate that, then I carry something else. Even if I was able to effectively incorporate the extended mags into my carry system, I'd still feel the need to have 2 spares on me. I have deliberately avoided counting rounds as an argument in this post - because it's not really about round count, is it? The question is...do you have a fighting firearm?

On occasion I will instead carry a slightly smaller firearm, but only when I am forced into it by concealment challenges. If I am limited in what can be effectively concealed by my situation, I will carry one of the following as a compromise:

Glock 26
    S&W Shield

I went through a phase where I carried those smaller pistols a lot because they are so comfortable and easy to conceal. Oddly enough, when I carry the Glock 26 I actually have a LOT of rounds on hand. I carry it with a +2 Pearce extension, and a G17 mag with a +2 extension as my spare...so that pistol gives me a total of 10+1+2+17+2 = 32 rounds on board. Even with that number of rounds, the honest truth is that the overall size of the pistol is such that I don't truly have the level of skill for it to be a "fighting size" pistol for me...so it's not in my daily carry rotation.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    I really see little benefit to beginning to carry a full size gun for EDC. One can move from a very compact pistol (or revolver), something like the SIG P938 or S&W M36 clones, to a compact that will offer greater capacity and still be easy to carry concealed. If one's choice is a 1911 45 auto, the LW Commander and CCO sizes are great choices but extra mag(s) or BUG would be a good idea. My choice in striker-fired is the SIG P320c, but there are other makes that offer a similar advantage over the single-stack subcompacts.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I have not taken my LTC yet in Texas but will in the next couple of weeks. I have given a lot of thought and put a lot of research into carrying a gun and have decided that indeed I need to do it. I chose to buy a Range Officer Compact in 9 mm for one big reason. I am most concerned about a lunatic with an assault rifle and body armor screaming to his deity while mowing down the innocents in a mass shooting scenario. I wanted a gun that I could feel comfortable making high % head shots at up to 15 yards or so. I rented a bunch of guns at my favorite indoor range and after much testing, decided that a 1911 in 9 mm gave me the best opportunity to stay on target and get kill shots. I am a pretty big guy and have a really strong hold. A 1911 in 9 mm really doesn't come off target for me much at all. I do have a Taurus G2 that I originally bought to carry but honestly I just can't get accurate enough to be comfortable with head shots. Maybe I will improve enough to be comfortable with it but not at that point right now. I shoot 1911s so much better and never noticed a difference in commander vs full size so chose commander size. Feel like I can put a couple of rounds into the brainpan at up to 15 yrds 9/10 times. Perhaps my new contact prescription will allow me to extend that range to 25 yrds, I am hopeful anyway. Real issue is that it is not always feasible to carry a 1911. I am going to eventually settle on an IWB holster that carries an extra mag.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    I really see little benefit to beginning to carry a full size gun for EDC. One can move from a very compact pistol (or revolver), something like the SIG P938 or S&W M36 clones, to a compact that will offer greater capacity and still be easy to carry concealed. If one's choice is a 1911 45 auto, the LW Commander and CCO sizes are great choices but extra mag(s) or BUG would be a good idea. My choice in striker-fired is the SIG P320c, but there are other makes that offer a similar advantage over the single-stack subcompacts.
    Longer-range accuracy is my biggest reason for carrying a full sized gun.

I always considered a Desert Eagle and A 7.5" 44 mag to be big guns.
    Mike1956, bmcgilvray and Stevew like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I always considered a Desert Eagle and A 7.5" 44 mag to be big guns.
    Yeah, but you are Bad Bob, which is short for Big Bad Bob. Big bad guys like big bad guns.
    G26Raven, Bad Bob and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Carry one of the following: Colt 1911 9mm w/1 spare mag
    Colt 1911 .38 Super w/1 spare mag
    Colt 1911 .45 ACP w/1 spare mag
    OR....9mm or .45 DW Guardians.
    And out of the city....carry Ruger SBH .44mag or Blackhawk .44 Special
    "The great object is that every man be armed."
    Patrick Henry

NRA Benefactor Member
    USCG Veteran

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Times being what they are, anymore I carry full size guns. Not "traditional" carry guns.

I went through that. J frames, Shields, P938s, etc...

Now I never needed them, so I cannot and will not disparage them. But times seemed to have changed, rather quickly. I don't feel comfortable with a 5-8 shot smaller carry gun. Although I have been known to run a 1911. But I don't consider a Commander to be a carry gun by today's standards, even though guys have been carrying 1911s forever. Seems like modern "carry" guns are, while excellent, lower capacity and easier to carry. And not nearly as easy to shoot as a 1911.

I have no plans to be in an extended firefight (none do), but when I see what has been going on lately, and see no reason for it to abate, I prefer a fighting gun these days.

My HK USPs are my preference. They are monstrous guns, very big. Fortunately, so am I, and I can carry them and hide them all day long. My USP 45 is good for 12+1 of 45 ACP, and even in the summer I carry it a lot.

The smallest gun I own is an HK P2000sk, 10+1 of 9mm. I'm OK carrying it around the small town in which I live, but any trip to the city is full size USP territory.

Anybody else up gun in the last few years?
    XD 40 subcompact, most days when I'm on my own time. 9 rounds in the short mag, 12 in the long.

So far, I have only been able to carry where my Utah license allows. But, I live in Kalifornia, where the process is onerous, and since we are thinking of leaving the people's Republik, I've not gotten my Kali CCW.

That out of the way, in the past 3 months, I've picked up 3 new guns: 1) a G30sf, 10 rounds, mid-sized 45. 2) G19, 10 rds in Kali, 15 rounds where I'm allowed to carry. And 3) a p238, which will be my "trail run" gun. These are all for different purposes. I honestly believe at this time that the G19 will be my main carry, because it provides the best balance of accuracy and capacity in a comfortable size. I bought the g30 with the thought that I may carry it when I needed a bigger punch than a 9mm. I got the p238 as a gun to carry on trail runs. I also have the 9mm XDs, a p938, a UC2, and a g17. The g17 is my bedside gun. The XDs and the g30 will most likely be "stashed around the house" for home defense (in cabled combo lock boxes). The p938 and the UC2 are handsome pieces that will only be carried from time to time.

But yes, I doubled my capacity with the g19, and the 17 is too big for me to conceal easily.

Anyway, I'm betting that the g19 will be my long term EDC for the same reasons you described.

Yes and no. I often carry two smaller pocket guns. If the threat is potentially higher, I can just add more mags. I've shot these guns at longer than typical range, and while not as easy to hit with as larger guns, it is doable.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links