Big guns

Big guns

This is a discussion on Big guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Times being what they are, anymore I carry full size guns. Not "traditional" carry guns. I went through that. J frames, Shields, P938s, etc... Now ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Big guns

Big guns

Times being what they are, anymore I carry full size guns. Not "traditional" carry guns.

I went through that. J frames, Shields, P938s, etc...

Now I never needed them, so I cannot and will not disparage them. But times seemed to have changed, rather quickly. I don't feel comfortable with a 5-8 shot smaller carry gun. Although I have been known to run a 1911. But I don't consider a Commander to be a carry gun by today's standards, even though guys have been carrying 1911s forever. Seems like modern "carry" guns are, while excellent, lower capacity and easier to carry. And not nearly as easy to shoot as a 1911.

I have no plans to be in an extended firefight (none do), but when I see what has been going on lately, and see no reason for it to abate, I prefer a fighting gun these days.

My HK USPs are my preference. They are monstrous guns, very big. Fortunately, so am I, and I can carry them and hide them all day long. My USP 45 is good for 12+1 of 45 ACP, and even in the summer I carry it a lot.

The smallest gun I own is an HK P2000sk, 10+1 of 9mm. I'm OK carrying it around the small town in which I live, but any trip to the city is full size USP territory.

Anybody else up gun in the last few years?

I carry a Glock 20. Feel under gunned with a 9mm, but then again wild life is a bigger threat out here than humans.
    G26Raven and dangerranger like this.

I carry a 44mag 2 inch 629 at times or a 10mm Glock 29
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Contrary to the entertainment on TV where a minimum of 30 rounds and at least 5 or 6 reloads I am quite comfortable with 8+1 and possibly one or two reloads to handle any self defense needs.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Contrary to the entertainment on TV where a minimum of 30 rounds and at least 5 or 6 reloads I am quite comfortable with 8+1 and possibly one or two reloads to handle any self defense needs.
    Frankly where I live I am about the same ..But that said I normal will have something with a bit more bang handy if need be
    msgt/ret and glockcoma like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I am comfortable with my 9rds and one reload...for my low risk lifestyle.

I am of the opinion, that if I get into a situation where my ammo is depleted...I will have totally failed with my SA.

I have given thought to getting the higher capacity M&P 9c...but it is purely from just liking them...not any real sense of need.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; August 1st, 2016 at 01:44 AM.
    msgt/ret and glockcoma like this.

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I'm completely content with a typical 6+1 single stack gun plus a reload.
    msgt/ret, glockcoma and Rainsong like this.
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Five rounds of .357mag, plus 1-3 speed-loaders.
    I'm fine with this.
    On the road it's three 17 round mags of 9mm plus a box of 50 rounds. Hope this gets me home during TEOTWAWKI. Hopefully this is enough to get me more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I went from a Glock 27/33 up to 23/32 size pistol a couple /three years ago, never went back.
    Last fall I started carrying a Glock 21.
    For a brief period I thought the 21 too big for summer carry, but now I've learned better.
    Glock 20/21 or 19/23/32 is my standard carry (+ spare magazine and PM9 / Glock 43 in pocket).
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Is a Glock 19 "big"? That's normal carry, with Glock 17 round mags as back up. I only carry my Sig P938 where my mode of dress or the situation precludes my G19 (I dislike IWB so tuckable holsters are out).
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Times being what they are, anymore I carry full size guns. Not "traditional" carry guns.

I went through that. J frames, Shields, P938s, etc...

Now I never needed them, so I cannot and will not disparage them. But times seemed to have changed, rather quickly. I don't feel comfortable with a 5-8 shot smaller carry gun. Although I have been known to run a 1911. But I don't consider a Commander to be a carry gun by today's standards, even though guys have been carrying 1911s forever. Seems like modern "carry" guns are, while excellent, lower capacity and easier to carry. And not nearly as easy to shoot as a 1911.

I have no plans to be in an extended firefight (none do), but when I see what has been going on lately, and see no reason for it to abate, I prefer a fighting gun these days.

My HK USPs are my preference. They are monstrous guns, very big. Fortunately, so am I, and I can carry them and hide them all day long. My USP 45 is good for 12+1 of 45 ACP, and even in the summer I carry it a lot.

The smallest gun I own is an HK P2000sk, 10+1 of 9mm. I'm OK carrying it around the small town in which I live, but any trip to the city is full size USP territory.

I went to the Glock 17 about a year ago, and have not looked back.
    The grip is better[for me] than the 19, there's a longer sight radius, and a greater capacity.
    I carry it appendix, so there's no issue with concealment:
    It hides so well I can wear it under a tucked T shirt.

Carry the biggest gun you can conceal. Carry the caliber that you can shoot the best, with the best accuracy results. Practice often.
    “Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”
    ― Mark Twain

Use your head for more than a hat rack.

Yeah, me too. I've put aside all my 380's and snubbies in favor of higher capacity/caliber EDC's.

My current EDC in 9mm is the M&P Shield 9 with 9+1 for a specific scenario. I'm OK with the Shield's 10 rounds of 147 grain XTP's.

When the scenario permits a larger platform, the Ruger SR9E and a CZ75 clone give me 17+1 or 15+1 in 9mm. In a slightly smaller platform (6.1" OAL), I have two polymers in 40 S&W and 45 ACP, 14+1 and 12+1 respectively. Gotta love 13 rounds of 45 in a 6.1" package.

I'm more likely to carry the 6.1" in 40 S&W or 45 ACP, the CZ75 clone or the Shield in that order.

Carry the biggest gun you can conceal. Carry the caliber that you can shoot the best, with the best accuracy results. Practice often.
    Yep, exactly what I do...practice with the guns I carry. I know I can stand and rapid fire a magazine of big bore 40 S&W/45 ACP from one of my compacts into a torso size target at 50 feet. That is my "accuracy" requirement and most likely scenario in my "low risk life style".

Big guns-bigfoot-g17-b.jpg
    G17 gen 4 at least 2 spare magazines (and that's just around the house) if we go out. a third magazine , Ruger LCP in left front pocket & mini flashlight.
    I carry this all day everyday.
    glockcoma likes this.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

VIP Member
    I've been carrying a P229, or something similar in size, with either 13-16rds on board for almost as long as I've been carrying. My first carry gun was a P250 sub compact, but even that was packing 13rds of 9mm. Occasionally I'll step all the way down to a P220 or 1911 with only 8-9 rounds, but not often. For the most part I prefer a larger gun simply because I shoot them better than pocket guns, not because of the amount of ammo they hold.
    glockcoma likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I carry a G19. Not because I felt unsafe with the Shield or J-frame but because I shoot better with it. The Shield felt too thin in the grip and I could never get accurate with the j-frame. I have gone to AIWB exclusively and that makes carrying the G19 a breeze.
    Last edited by SnoMan97; August 1st, 2016 at 10:17 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links