Buying first used gun - Page 2

Buying first used gun

This is a discussion on Buying first used gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A private sale in Texas? Metro area or in the boonies? Hand write a receipt with serial number. Take a cell photo photo of eachother's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Buying first used gun

A private sale in Texas? Metro area or in the boonies? Hand write a receipt with serial number. Take a cell photo photo of eachother's Texas Drivers License. Exchange money for goods. Shake hands. Shove (your) pre-loaded mag in your new handgun, cycle one up the pipe. Holster it & drive away.

BTW - I've never SEEN a "worn-out" GLOCK. Yet I have seen $20 worth of OEM parts make an old one into...a NEW one.
    nlyric and 5lima30ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'd only buy one consigned to a dealer, full paperwork, DROS, etc. I'm not interested in a piece that could have been used in a murder, robbery, etc. If done via dealer with DROS documentation, at the very least I know that 3rd party govt mandated proof exists that the gun was not mine nor in my possession when the altercation took place. That is peace of mind that I need. Private docs/bill of sale scribbled on the back of a Burger King napkin don't sound sufficient to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    I'd only buy one consigned to a dealer, full paperwork, DROS, etc. I'm not interested in a piece that could have been used in a murder, robbery, etc. If done via dealer with DROS documentation, at the very least I know that 3rd party govt mandated proof exists that the gun was not mine nor in my possession when the altercation took place. That is peace of mind that I need. Private docs/bill of sale scribbled on the back of a Burger King napkin don't sound sufficient to me.
    You live in California, so your paradigm isn't exactly like some of the rest of us. Around here (and the outlands of Texas) buying/trading guns is yard sale stuff, like negotiating a chainsaw transaction. And, once the new-to-me chainsaw is in my truck, I don't automatically have to provide it's serial number to anyone. If I incur the unfortunate unlikelihood of my gun purchase being eventually discovered as part of a criminal act, I won't be arrested/indicted because I've committed no crime. I'll present the bill-of-sale & copy of the seller's drivers license to the authorities & show the guns "paper trail" of possession since I've owned it. If it's an active investigation, they might need it so I'll... hand it over. It may come home & it may not. But the money I've saved is, IMHO, comPLETELY worth the risk when the WORST CASE downside is a confiscation (with a possible return).
    5lima30ret and gasmitty like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Many people, myself included, would want no part of a bill of sale in a private firearms transaction. They give you zero legal liability and aren't a legal document.

Also if some dude wanted a copy of my id and personal info, there's no way I'm giving it to him. He could be harmless but why would you give your address to a complete stranger.

Why even go the private sale route if you're willing to give up all your personal info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, I've walked from deals where I show up cash in hand and they want to do a bill of sale. I don't mind showing my license or permit briefly just to prove that I'm a resident of the state, but there is no way I'm handing over all that personal info to some random person. Plus, there is no legal requirement to do so on either end (at least in TN). Past that I just use my common sense. If something doesn't seem right I walk.

As others have said, just meet up in a well traveled place and be aware of what's going on. It's a Glock, I'm sure it will be fine.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I like a Bill of Sale as my protection FROM the seller. He already HAS the serial number. What keeps him from taking my (cash?) money & then filing a report that the gun I just bought was...stolen from him...by ME?

I have no problem with exchanging photo IDs and signatures with a stranger over a $500+ transaction. I'd do the same thing over a johnboat or a (registered) beagle pup.
    TeflonDon likes this.

As far as a bill of sale goes, if I wanted a paper trail, Id buy new.

Buying first used gun-cdmzuegw4aablil.jpeg

+1 on disassembly, to determine excessive wear. Always good to have a mini flashlight . ( remember to use your bi-focals)
    SatCong likes this.
    NRA member..... SIG P227 (Nitron Carry) S&W mod. 58 ; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); Beretta 92s Colt Python (nickel)8 in. ; ★SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    .41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

Well I got my 19! It deserves the praise it gets doesn't it? Perfect companion for the shield. It's really not much longer in the grip or barrel than the shield, just quite a bit thicker. I'll probably carry the 19 most of the time, only carry the shield when the 19 just won't work with my clothing choice that day. I definitely shoot the 19 much better.

It was as described, like new, receipt and all the case goodies and case
    Grantspastor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    You live in California, so your paradigm isn't exactly like some of the rest of us. Around here (and the outlands of Texas) buying/trading guns is yard sale stuff, like negotiating a chainsaw transaction. And, once the new-to-me chainsaw is in my truck, I don't automatically have to provide it's serial number to anyone. If I incur the unfortunate unlikelihood of my gun purchase being eventually discovered as part of a criminal act, I won't be arrested/indicted because I've committed no crime. I'll present the bill-of-sale & copy of the seller's drivers license to the authorities & show the guns "paper trail" of possession since I've owned it. If it's an active investigation, they might need it so I'll... hand it over. It may come home & it may not. But the money I've saved is, IMHO, comPLETELY worth the risk when the WORST CASE downside is a confiscation (with a possible return).

IME, I have had worse luck buying a used private party chainsaw than buying a used gun!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post

IME, I have had worse luck buying a used private party chainsaw than buying a used gun!
    Slima, was that chainsaw used as evidence in a dreadful event that happened...in TEXAS? I saw that (original) B-movie when I was an early teenager. Scared the crap outta' me!
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Slima, was that chainsaw used as evidence in a dreadful event that happened...in TEXAS? I saw that (original) B-movie when I was an early teenager. Scared the crap outta' me!
    No it was dreadful Crapsman with the auto-sharp (self sharpening) 80's model I believe. It was only suitable as a boat anchor, which is more than I can say for a Charter Arms AR-7 which doesn't make a good boat anchor because it floats!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Whoops! Bought a Charter Arms AR7 in 1976. Ended up trading it for a nice cowboy hat & was SURE it was a GREAT deal!
    5lima30ret likes this.

Lightbulb Be very careful

To Colt1993 and anyone else - be very careful about private online purchases. A young man from my church recently did this for his first time and paid for the gun in cash. As it turns out, the firearm had been involved in a crime in the not-so-distant past and the police eventually tracked it down. He had to deal with a little fright and an administrative headache (no charges fortunately - the cops were smart enough to know this guy wasn't a perp). I always use a bill of sale when I buy from private sellers, just so there is some documentation to show when I bought it and that I didn't steal it. I usually use this one: https://legaltemplates.net/form/firearm-bill-of-sale/ but there are a ton of free ones online. It's not foolproof, but it's an added layer of protection should the government try to take issue with my ownership.

I bought my first CZ (a SP01 Shadow) used from a local dealer my son in law recommended. It had such a smooth, easy slide rack and trigger. First time I took it to the range, I had ffe's and load failures right off the bat. I was really disappointed. It got me to doing some research, and discovered the previous owner had modified it to use as a run gun, and all the springs had been changed to super light pulls and had probably only used hand loads, so the WallyWorld ammo I was using just didn't work. Contacted CZ for a little advice, and ended up changing out the main spring, trigger spring and firing pin back to stock, and haven't had a misfire or ffe since. But this experience allowed me to really see how the gun works, and while I'll never be a gunsmith,(this involves too much cursing and manufacturing tools that McGiyver couldn't figure out how to use), but gave me a whole new appreciation for how everything works together. Also, been a CZ fan ever since.
    USN 69-83
    Of all the advice I've ever gotten, the best is what I never listened to, except for when my Grandpa told me,
    "if your gonna be dumb, then you better be tough!"

I've sold and have purchased several firearms via Armslist. I always required a bill of sale. Most buyers want one as well. Never had any issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links