Looking or another carry gun - Page 2

Looking or another carry gun

This is a discussion on Looking or another carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Look at a 1911. It can be any model and make you might be surprised....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Looking or another carry gun

Look at a 1911. It can be any model and make you might be surprised.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    Look at a 1911. It can be any model and make you might be surprised.
    i have one, love it, but it is kinda heavy. it's a Springfield Loaded 1911 in stainless steel
    TeflonDon likes this.
    I got the fever,and the only prescription is more cowbell

Get the best, a Sig P226. You will never look back. It is also a great range pistol.
    Morbidrealities likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I like carrying a Fullsize Glock (G17 gen 4) not sure how that would work with your particular condition. At my stage of life (i'm 66 overweight and diabetic) but not yet ready for a Single Stack 9mm. My wife who has issues with her hands can handle a Glock G26 fairly well. I have spoken to a few people who are very sensitive to a firearms weight. Many have advised me the only firearm they can carry any longer is the Sig 938 (pocket Carry). I never shot a Springfield XD. I did tryout a nice 9mm 1911. It did impress me !
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakShow66 View Post
    Been looking at ht the Springfield xd and xdm series. looking at the 4.5 and 5 inch barrel guns in a 9mm. although i like the competition 9mm, but the barrel is a 5.25, thinking that may be a bit to big to carry, especially with the length and weight of the gun..Thoughts?
    I've been looking too 30+ guns back LOL I have settle on USPc, SIG 239, Glock 23 all in .40, 1911 4.25" LW in .45 or HK .45C still 5 in my carry rotation I'll say I'm pretty undecided. LOL

XD Mod 2 9mm Sub Compact owner here, AIWB every day. I love this gun, it's a great shooter, it's easy to carry, but it gives me 13 rounds minimum. (Or 16 with the extended mag) I also own an XDM 3.8 compact 9mm, and it just sits at home lonely now. I did ccw the XDM before I picked up the Mod 2, it wasn't bad to carry either, just a bit bigger. Go shoot them and see what you think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lead Moderator
    The xdm 4.5 is a fairly bulky gun. It shoots well and isn't a bad gun ,but is rather bulky. I don't own one, but a buddy I frequently shoot with has one. It is about as big as my HK USP . I personally would rather go smaller / lighter for carry.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    i have one, love it, but it is kinda heavy. it's a Springfield Loaded 1911 in stainless steel

It's also kinda slim
    , and much easier to carry concealed than an XD/XDM. I LIKE the XD line, BTW.

My Rock Island Armory (5in. steel 1911, 9mm) is a soft-shooting tack driver, even with G.I. iron sights.

(This was semi-rapid at 7 yards, the circle is 3 in.) I get full credit for the flyer.

Kennydale likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

My largest 9mm pistol is a SW9VE just slightly larger than my 19 if they were a size between a Glock 19 and 17 the SD9VE size would be it .. I carry the SD9VE in a leather OWB holster with a FBI cant that was made for my 19 .. I find the S&W concealable .. I use the same holster for my Glock 41 also with same results..

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    What characteristics do you want that are different from what you have? You have a striker fired 4" and a 5" 1911.

What are you looking for in your next gun?

Personally I'd be looking for something more concealable, like a 3-4" 1911, but that's me.
    PhaedrusIV and FreakShow66 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamay View Post
    XD Mod 2 9mm Sub Compact owner here, AIWB every day. I love this gun, it's a great shooter, it's easy to carry, but it gives me 13 rounds minimum. (Or 16 with the extended mag) I also own an XDM 3.8 compact 9mm, and it just sits at home lonely now. I did ccw the XDM before I picked up the Mod 2, it wasn't bad to carry either, just a bit bigger. Go shoot them and see what you think
    I have the original XD Sub Compact but agree with jlamay above.....
    other larger guns I really like are the PPQ and the HK VP9.... great shooters with very adaptable grips.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    What characteristics do you want that are different from what you have? You have a striker fired 4" and a 5" 1911.

What are you looking for in your next gun?

Personally I'd be looking for something more concealable, like a 3-4" 1911, but that's me.
    with the xd series i like the dove tail safety and the ambi meg release, beings that i'm left handed. with my other two guns i have to switch hands to release the mag. again my grip isn't the best and i don't want to try and move my fingers around to push the button. it's my intention to use a belly band but up a little higher so that the gun is at either 2 or 3 o' clock

On the rare occasions that I need to deep conceal, I have no problems with a P229 or P226 (total bricks weight and shape wise). With the right holster and or wardrobe, you can conceal almost any firearm. It all boils down to what you're willing to do to conceal a larger handgun. If your current wardrobe doesn't suffice, are you willing to buy a new set? Are you willing to carry a heavier firearm? Are you willing to deal with the sometimes added discomfort of a larger firearm? Are you willing to spend time and money searching for the best holsters for your body and that gun?

Your wants vs Determination, Willingness, and Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    On the rare occasions that I need to deep conceal, I have no problems with a P229 or P226 (total bricks weight and shape wise). With the right holster and or wardrobe, you can conceal almost any firearm. It all boils down to what you're willing to do to conceal a larger handgun. If your current wardrobe doesn't suffice, are you willing to buy a new set? Are you willing to carry a heavier firearm? Are you willing to deal with the sometimes added discomfort of a larger firearm? Are you willing to spend time and money searching for the best holsters for your body and that gun?
    I just on the site of where i buy my guns, looking at the weight of the guns. Sitting here thinking how heavy my phone is sitting in my pocket and do i really want to add another two pound gun to my belt, just shaking my head. i like the weight of my sd9ve, and although i love the way my 1911 shoots, i'm not all to sure about putting that on my hip.. not to sure if i'd want to do a around the back strap holster.. this next purchace is going to be very thought out.
    Morbidrealities likes this.

I just on the site of where i buy my guns, looking at the weight of the guns. Sitting here thinking how heavy my phone is sitting in my pocket and do i really want to add another two pound gun to my belt, just shaking my head. i like the weight of my sd9ve, and although i love the way my 1911 shoots, i'm not all to sure about putting that on my hip.. not to sure if i'd want to do a around the back strap holster.. this next purchace is going to be very thought out.
    Any firearm you plan to carry should be a well thought out process. If possible and you have a range that rents handguns, try to rent the ones you're considering. I have another post where I talk about training that I'll quote here. I cannot stress enough that you trust your gun to work when you need it to.

"From my $400 RI to my Sig P229 Elite to my 3k plus WC, all are carried at one point or another. All have been to one type of training or another. All have been dropped in the dirt, mud, gravel and concrete at one time or another. None are any longer immaculate. My WC has so many scratches and dings that it really doesn't look like a 3k plus handgun. If you're afraid to drop it or get it dirty, do not carry it. My main EDC (P229 Elite Scorpion) was brand new 2 months ago and after 3 training programs with it, it looks like it's been run over by a truck cosmetically. Functionally it works like the well oiled machine it is. I've got so many rounds through it without a failure, that I've lost count, that's why is my main EDC. My WC rattle's like a can with rocks in it now, but functions nigh perfectly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're buying it just to own it or just for the range, don't carry it. If you're going to purchase a multi thousand dollar or a couple hundred dollar gun and carry it, make sure it will work every time. Even if that means abusing the snot out of it."

I don't own safe queens and I don't own guns that do not work. If they have issues that cannot be fixed or fail too often, I sell them with full disclosure of the issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links