Looking or another carry gun

This is a discussion on Looking or another carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been looking at ht the Springfield xd and xdm series. looking at the 4.5 and 5 inch barrel guns in a 9mm. although i like ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Looking or another carry gun

Been looking at ht the Springfield xd and xdm series. looking at the 4.5 and 5 inch barrel guns in a 9mm. although i like the competition 9mm, but the barrel is a 5.25, thinking that may be a bit to big to carry, especially with the length and weight of the gun..Thoughts?
    Kennydale likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Some people no doubt conceal carry the XD and XDM full size pistols, but I don't and don't personaly know anyone who does. Forum members who do will likely join in the discussion. Looking at the specs I would conclude you could carry them as easily as any other full size duty weapon like a Glock G17, S&W M&P, or 1911 5" barrel model if you have good holster and belt to support them. The full size pistols have the benefit of increased capacity and shoot-ability at the sacrifice of concealability and weight.
    redmc likes this.

Never owned a XD but I have shot them and they are very nice. You may want to look at the M&P series of guns. I have been carrying the M&P 9 full size IWB and the M&P 9 compact in the front pocket of my jeans as a back up. The spare mag for the full size fits both guns. Works for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Unless you are totally averse to Glocks, check out a G19. Fairly compact but still has a good ammo capacity. Or an XDm 3.8 compact. Or S&W 9c.

already have a S&W SD9VE, it's got a 4 inch barrel and it's pretty slim. I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 with the 5 inch barrel. i know the xdm 4.5 comes with two 19 round mags ..the xd mod 2 tacticial comes with a 5 inch barrel and two 16 round mags, but the xdm competition 5.25 barrel comes with three 19 round mags.

the s&w M&P performance 4.25 barrel comes with 17+1 mags while the performance center ported model come with a 5 inch barrel also with 17+1 mags

but what i like since being a lefty is that the sprinfields come with an amby mag release button, plus i like the safety in the dove tail.. but i also have a budding trying to talk me into the Walther PPQ and the P99.

VIP Member
    Your Smith already has a longish grip, and if another inch or so is going to make the difference between concealed or not, your shirt probably isn't long enough for what you already have IMO. I don't find it harder to conceal my 5" 92FS than my 3.9" P229's.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Your Smith already has a longish grip, and if another inch or so is going to make the difference between concealed or not, your shirt probably isn't long enough for what you already have IMO. I don't find it harder to conceal my 5" 92FS than my 3.9" P229's.
    maybe i need to get longer shirts, lol

there is a gun show coming up near me in two weeks, i just need to get a few different guns in my hands so that i can make a better decission

freakShow66 I going to give you a bit different advise . You will want a smaller easier to concealable pistol for most of the year , something that will conceal under a loose T shirt or even tuck in . Assuming the XD line up is what look at the XD MOD2 SC . It comes with a short a 13 round mag and a 16 round extended mag pistol you can carry as back up were the larger XD 4.25 and 5" will require a cover garment under most conditions and is the tallest in the grip height . The 4" mod 2 might make a better carry option over the 4.25" and 5" models for a larger pistol . I know its heading into winter but a smaller pistol is easier to learn with . . Starting with the easier to carry Mod 2 SC you can at least get comfortable CC it with a 13 round short mag in it then try the longer 16 round mag to see how that works . It will give you the same long grip height of the 4" mod 2 and down the road you could buy a larger model . At most normal defense distances a 3" barrel in the mod2 sc is enough for good defensive groups at 20 yards .

Don't over load your self and find you bought a 4.25" or 5" and ended up with a great shooter and house gun but not a good choice for a new carry pistol as a primary CC handgun . Might be better to start small-er and work up as you get more comfortable .
    I split my carry needs between a 4" double stack and a smaller 9mm when clean up and tucked in is wanted .
    Just my 2 cents worth
    Rockymonster and FreakShow66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakShow66 View Post
    Been looking at ht the Springfield xd and xdm series. looking at the 4.5 and 5 inch barrel guns in a 9mm. although i like the competition 9mm, but the barrel is a 5.25, thinking that may be a bit to big to carry, especially with the length and weight of the gun..Thoughts?
    The XDs is shorter and makes an excellent carry piece.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    freakShow66 I going to give you a bit different advise . You will want a smaller easier to concealable pistol for most of the year , something that will conceal under a loose T shirt or even tuck in . Assuming the XD line up is what look at the XD MOD2 SC . It comes with a short a 13 round mag and a 16 round extended mag pistol you can carry as back up were the larger XD 4.25 and 5" will require a cover garment under most conditions and is the tallest in the grip height . The 4" mod 2 might make a better carry option over the 4.25" and 5" models for a larger pistol . I know its heading into winter but a smaller pistol is easier to learn with . . Starting with the easier to carry Mod 2 SC you can at least get comfortable CC it with a 13 round short mag in it then try the longer 16 round mag to see how that works . It will give you the same long grip height of the 4" mod 2 and down the road you could buy a larger model . At most normal defense distances a 3" barrel in the mod2 sc is enough for good defensive groups at 20 yards .

Don't over load your self and find you bought a 4.25" or 5" and ended up with a great shooter and house gun but not a good choice for a new carry pistol as a primary CC handgun . Might be better to start small-er and work up as you get more comfortable .
    I split my carry needs between a 4" double stack and a smaller 9mm when clean up and tucked in is wanted .

Just my 2 cents worth
    i get what you're saying, don't want to carr around something to heavy and to long to cover without to much printing. i know my s&w sd9ve will be good as a carry, it's slim and smaller.. guess i just have the gun bug now. i gotta remember a gun with a full mag is a lot heavier plus the extra mag

If you want a longer barrel check out the PPQ 5" 9mm. Best trigger on any polymer gun in production. Excellent ergonomics as well as 100% reliable. I'd prefer the 4" for carry but the 5" is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know the size of a xd4.25 will be larger and heavier than your S&W so if you think you can carry it don't bother asking , buy the one you like . Personally I think you need a smaller cc to complement your cc rotation . One thing for sure you will buy other hands larger and smaller, some just for the heal of it so get after it as it truly only matter what you to U .

My wifes XD 9 subcompact has been very reliable and a good shooter. I'm sure the mod2 is even nicer.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

one of my issues is grip. i like the m&p shield, but the grip is to small and would have to keep the extended clip in just to hold onto it. i'm a diabetic and have neuropathy in both my hands, both of my last two fingers are pins and needles, so i need something i can get my whole hand around which is why i went for the sd9ve and why i'm lookinf at the xdm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links