Compact .45auto CCW choice - Page 2

Compact .45auto CCW choice

This is a discussion on Compact .45auto CCW choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WC145 I've carried S&Ws, HKs, and FNs as duty weapons, along with others carried off duty, I'm hardly ignorant of the "miracle" ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Compact .45auto CCW choice

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I've carried S&Ws, HKs, and FNs as duty weapons, along with others carried off duty, I'm hardly ignorant of the "miracle" that is the polymer framed pistol. The fact is, I'm very familiar with them and I appreciate the technology and what they've brought to the markets/industries/sports/etc.. However, I guess maybe I was never properly indoctrinated because I just never became as enamored with them as so many others are. I see them as another option in the handgun market, who's primary advantage over more "traditional" handguns is capacity, making it ironic that the current trend in polymer pistols is the revolutionary "single stack" concept.

I've also carried 1911s and revolvers as duty weapons. Over my years of experience and training, I've found that I prefer them over the other options available. It's great that the M&P is working out well for you, they're quality, reliable guns, I've shot them. Just don't assume that someone else is inexperienced, uninformed, or behind the times because they haven't made similar choices.
    Why do you think that people view you as inexperienced, uninformed, or behind the times because you don't choose what they might choose?

I think you're perfectly fine deciding to keep to 1911s and revolvers, as long as you do. Don't you? As I said above, I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to 1911s and revolvers - not using more modern pistols. Many who carry guns, especially in the older generation who have been around lots of guns for a very long time, feel that way. I certainly wouldn't think of you as being inexperienced, uninformed, or behind the times. Do others see you that way?
    Buckeye63 likes this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Quote Originally Posted by casurvivor View Post
    I made the mistake of buying the full size MP.45, it didn't work for my CCing if I had picked the compact I'll probably still had it, I went HK .45C and the C on that one is a little optimistic. LOL

I can see how you might not want the full size M&P45 as your EDC pistol. The "C" version makes it much easier for many to use for EDC.

And yes, the "C" is kind of a wiggly category. Some people's C is another's "too-big" gun. And some peoples C is another's "too-small" gun. All we really can do is ignore the pistol "category names" and handle the pistols we're considering, then decide for ourselves how it will fit into our personal program.

For me, the MP45C and the HK45C are "compact" because they are noticeably smaller than full-size pistols. I think they're an ideal size for carry guns. Not too small, not too big, JUST RIGHT. Goldilocks would approve. But other people may not think of them that way. They certainly are compact as compared to the next category up, which is Full Size.

Some people feel quite inconvenienced by a carry gun if it's any bigger than a PM9 or pocket pistol. To them, the M&P45C and HK45C are beyond possible as carry guns.

To me, they're about as small as I would want to have in my hand if the dark day came upon me and I had to pull a pistol in defense of life. And the reason I carry a pistol is to be somewhat prepared for the (very slim) possibility of such a dark day coming about. Judging by the trendy category du jour (very small single-stack pistols), I think differently than many others who decide to carry a gun.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I can see how you might not want the full size M&P45 as your EDC pistol. The "C" version makes it much easier for many to use for EDC.

And yes, the "C" is kind of a wiggly category. Some people's C is another's "too-big" gun. And some peoples C is another's "too-small" gun. All we really can do is ignore the pistol "category names" and handle the pistols we're considering, then decide for ourselves how it will fit into our personal program.

For me, the MP45C and the HK45C are "compact" because they are noticeably smaller than full-size pistols. I think they're an ideal size for carry guns. Not too small, not too big, JUST RIGHT. Goldilocks would approve. But other people may not think of them that way. They certainly are compact as compared to the next category up, which is Full Size.

Some people feel quite inconvenienced by a carry gun if it's any bigger than a PM9 or pocket pistol. To them, the M&P45C and HK45C are beyond possible as carry guns.

To me, they're about as small as I would want to have in my hand if the dark day came upon me and I had to pull a pistol in defense of life. And the reason I carry a pistol is to be somewhat prepared for the (very slim) possibility of such a dark day coming about. Judging by the trendy category du jour (very small single-stack pistols), I think differently than many others who decide to carry a gun.
    I enjoyed reading your review on the MP 45c. I have interest because it is very close to size to my G23. I had been looking around for a 4" Poly 45 and had a little interest towards the G38 not long ago but a lot of folks were saying stay away from the GAP and that gave me pause. Alas, the MP 45c has caught my eye because of the 4" barrel. Did you purchase the two parts for the trigger job you did direct from Apex, thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Compact .45auto CCW choice

The M&P compact is a fine piece. I have one in 9mm and it's accurate enough that it's what I've used twice to qualify for my concealed carry license.

That said, my compact 45acp carry piece is an XDs. I like having 45 firepower in such a small package.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie2 View Post
    I enjoyed reading your review on the MP 45c. I have interest because it is very close to size to my G23. I had been looking around for a 4" Poly 45 and had a little interest towards the G38 not long ago but a lot of folks were saying stay away from the GAP and that gave me pause. Alas, the MP 45c has caught my eye because of the 4" barrel. Did you purchase the two parts for the trigger job you did direct from Apex, thanks.
    Yes, I ordered the sear and striker block from APEX. I would not recommend that anyone order the complete Apex Trigger "kit" unless they just want to spend that much money, probably unnecessarily. M&P triggers improve noticeably merely by shooting/dry firing them for a few hundred rounds. In hindsight, if I had an 8+ lb. trigger in an M&P, I think I'd order the Apex sear, install it and shoot a few hundred rounds through it before deciding needing the striker block replacement. Or, perhaps I'd order the striker block and do the same thing.

I should add that, if you're even a little bit "handy", you can quickly and easily re-profile and polish the contact surface of the striker block in few minutes without spending anything more than a few minutes of your time. And that alone would make a noticeable difference in the feel of the trigger pull. Visit YouTube "university" for good instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    The M&P compact is a fine piece. I have one in 9mm and it's accurate enough that it's what I've used twice to qualify for my concealed carry license.

That said, my compact 45acp carry piece is an XDs. I like having 45 firepower in such a small package.
    I agree, Tex. I have two M&P40 Compacts. They are a little smaller than the 45C, such that I do appreciate using the little pinky extension on the magazine base. One I bought shortly after their introduction in 2007 or so. And the other I bought a couple of weeks ago! What a fine little piece of carry gun they are. Now, I just have to share some pics of my M&P40 Compacts.

These are an awesome choice as a carry gun; the fit and feel in the hand is really great. And they launch .40S&W smoothly, comfortably and accurately. And they are almost entirely un-noticeable when carrying.
    Texas Red and bigpapa like this.

I agree, Tex. I have two M&P40 Compacts. They are a little smaller than the 45C, such that I do appreciate using the little pinky extension on the magazine base. One I bought shortly after their introduction in 2007 or so. And the other I bought a couple of weeks ago! What a fine little piece of carry gun they are. Now, I just have to share some pics of my M&P40 Compacts.

These are an awesome choice as a carry gun; the fit and feel in the hand is really great. And they launch .40S&W smoothly, comfortably and accurately. And they are almost entirely un-noticeable when carrying.
    This is my EDC the only difference is I have a Crimson Trace Laser Grip on mine.
    DHart likes this.

45?

I do favor my USP 45c. About Glock 19 size. 8+1 with a couple spares is not to be taken lightly.

And man, does it shoot.

Spendy, but 45s are known to be. I dropped about 900 on mine, but it is the LE version, 3 magazines and night sights. Another 3 magazines, two Sparks holsters, a mag pouch, and I'm in business.

V1, SA/DA, with a safety. Safety doubles as a decocker. Other than decocking, I ignore the safety. I could carry it cocked and locked, but the DA trigger isn't so bad. Much better than my USP 9.

Highest marks, I can find no flaws, except the price. But it is an HK. What'd you reckon?
    DHart and PhaedrusIV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    45?

I do favor my USP 45c. About Glock 19 size. 8+1 with a couple spares is not to be taken lightly.

And man, does it shoot.

Spendy, but 45s are known to be. I dropped about 900 on mine, but it is the LE version, 3 magazines and night sights. Another 3 magazines, two Sparks holsters, a mag pouch, and I'm in business.

V1, SA/DA, with a safety. Safety doubles as a decocker. Other than decocking, I ignore the safety. I could carry it cocked and locked, but the DA trigger isn't so bad. Much better than my USP 9.

Highest marks, I can find no flaws, except the price. But it is an HK. What'd you reckon?
    HK makes a nice pistol. I've been eyeing the HK45 Compact of late. Sure don't need it, though. But it's a nice gun alright! I'd prefer to carry it cocked and locked. My only question about that is, when flipping the safety off, what are the chances in a dire situation of going too far and decocking it, right at the wrong time? That's my only qualm about the design.

VIP Member
    my lil Kahr CW45 always impresses me
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar

we're thinking the same way, the smallest I carry these days is a Sig 239 in .40, I don't feel, lets say.......... secure with anything smaller and I have plenty of sub compacts an small single stacks, Shield, PPS, MDS not enough real state on those for me, to hold on..
    DHart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by casurvivor View Post
    we're thinking the same way, the smallest I carry these days is a Sig 239 in .40, I don't feel, lets say.......... secure with anything smaller and I have plenty of sub compacts an small single stacks, Shield, PPS, MDS not enough real state on those for me, to hold on..
    Yeah... I've wasted enough money on small single stacks. Mine are safe queens. There may be a very rare occasion where they would be of use to me, but nearly all the time, I can slip a full-size P320 40 or M&P40, or a compact P320 40 Carry or M&P45C in a High Noon Bare Asset, IWB at 4 o'clock, wearing a t-shirt and a pair of shorts (my usual attire) and carry it concealed without any problem.

Of course I notice that I'm carrying it, but it isn't a problem in any way. It's a reminder to keep situational awareness in mind when out and about.

I think a lot of people are more about convenience; they'd rather be much less aware of carrying a pistol than be better equipped. Given that the chances of needing a pistol are close to zero, there's an argument that can be made for that. But then again, if you are one of those who (happens to some people everyday) needs a pistol in self-defense, you would probably be very thankful to have a more capable fighting pistol in your hand than a single stack pocket pistol.

Awesome choice, this is on my list, I do love my 9mm Shield.
    DHart likes this.
    Luke 22:36
    Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    Awesome choice, this is on my list, I do love my 9mm Shield.
    Thanks BigPapa... I'm sure loving this pistol.
    bigpapa likes this.

There's a lot of great offerings available. Carry what you like; carry what you shoot well. Capacity for me is any handgun that has more than six shots. And unless anyone here is military or LEO the likelihood of a firefight in which you'll expend more than six shots is about as likely as getting struck by lightning. YMMV.
    bigpapa likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links