T-Rex Arms Sidecar vs StealthgearUSA AIWB+?

This is a discussion on T-Rex Arms Sidecar vs StealthgearUSA AIWB+? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a new AIWB holster for my Sig P320c or HK VP9. I've narrowed my choices to the Sidecar or SGUSA AIWB + ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: T-Rex Arms Sidecar vs StealthgearUSA AIWB+?

I'm looking for a new AIWB holster for my Sig P320c or HK VP9. I've narrowed my choices to the Sidecar or SGUSA AIWB + Anyone have either one or have suggestions/recommendations?

I don't AIWB directly at 12:00 (Over the boys) I like 1:00-1:30. I am more partial to a single clip. I like the idea of T-Rex WING( claw ) but i also like the breathable backing on the Stealthgear. Tough call, but i am visually more drawn to the Stealth.
    (Do they have a 30 day return if not happy?)
    Irideducs likes this.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I don't AIWB directly at 12:00 (Over the boys) I like 1:00-1:30. I am more partial to a single clip. I like the idea of T-Rex WING( claw ) but i also like the breathable backing on the Stealthgear. Tough call, but i am visually more drawn to the Stealth.
    (Do they have a 30 day return if not happy?)
    SG does 30 day returns while T-Rex arms does not refund holsters at all. I also wonder about the clips they use. SG uses 1 clip down the middle while TREX uses 2 to make it more stable. I'm having a tough time making this decision lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

New Member Array brokencapslock's Avatar
    I think the trex is more concealable while the SG is more comfortable. Its more of a trade off than anything, but personally i dont like hybrids for aiwb as they add alot of bulk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    kristo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by txs171 View Post
    SG does 30 day returns while T-Rex arms does not refund holsters at all. I also wonder about the clips they use. SG uses 1 clip down the middle while TREX uses 2 to make it more stable. I'm having a tough time making this decision lol

The claw is not advised if your waste is 32 or less.. the wedge is better. This is not me talking but advice I got from a AIWB holster maker. just a thought. Stealth Gear looks good but I wonder if having the clip on the non grip side.. Will the gun grip ride down to the belt or stay in place????
    brokencapslock likes this.
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Quote Originally Posted by brokencapslock View Post
    I think the trex is more concealable while the SG is more comfortable. Its more of a trade off than anything, but personally i dont like hybrids for aiwb as they add alot of bulk.

Really? I'd figure the hybrid was less bulky since the mesh can contour to your body instead of a hard shell that'd rigid

Really? I'd figure the hybrid was less bulky since the mesh can contour to your body instead of a hard shell that'd rigid
    Yes and no. Well maybe i should have used the term concealable instead. Well crafted kydex is typically already curved to the shape of a body since its purpose made to be worn in a certain manner (aiwb, 330-400, hip, etc.) Additionally, since kydex is rigid, holsters makers can use the rigidity of the holster to their advantage. This is done in the trex by adding a "wing" on the side where the wing will be to push into the belt. This in turn levers the top of the holster (and therefore the grip of the firearm as well since the firearm is firmly seated inside the holster) further into the body.

Other examples include wedges down at the bottom of a holster like ones ordered from JM custom kydex. These push against the body. Once again, the rigidity of the holster is useful. In this case, the rigidity allows the holster/firearm to be used as a lever with the beltline as a fulcrum to push the other end of the lever (the grip) into the body. This doesnt work as well with fabric since it can simply be pushed around more locally by a wedge or claw.
    kristo likes this.

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    The trex arms is one of the worst conclealing holsters on the market. I've owned one and it looked like I stuffed a phone book down my pants. It may work for a few people but it's a poor design imo. The clip placement over the mag causes printing.

Don't believe me, just check out this photo from the sidecar clan and count how many guns you can see. the three guys that look like they have phonebooks stuffed down their pants all use sidecars. It's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    The trex arms is one of the worst conclealing holsters on the market. I've owned one and it looked like I stuffed a phone book down my pants. It may work for a few people but it's a poor design imo. The clip placement over the mag causes printing.

Don't believe me, just check out this photo from the sidecar clan and count how many guns you can see. the three guys that look like they have phonebooks stuffed down their pants all use sidecars. It's not just me.
    Thats interesting stuff, i havn't really heard much in the way of complaints regarding trex sidecars. Im really more of a JM custom kydex and dara holsters fan, since i typically carry full/compact sized guns and dont feel the need to carry a reload with 15+ on tap.

I have two jm custom holsters (the George model and regular aiwb) and they blow the trex arms away in terms of concealability.

I've tried out a lot of appendix holsters. The thing about the sidecar is that it's made for a singular body type. If you look exactly like Lucas Botkin the owner of trexarms then it might work well for you. But I'm quite sure that anyone who can conceal a sidecar can conceal a jmck aiwb better. Our bodies are all different. Get a holster that's made to fit different body styles.

I also like jmck because I can use a neoprene wedge with this holster to push the muzzle away from my body. This helps conceal it better but also means that when reholstering that the gun never sweeps my body because the holster is tilted away from me.
    txs171 and brokencapslock like this.

Just got my SG AIWB (not the plus just the regular) and it prints and makes my waist look bulky. Not sure if its my holster, my gun, my body, or my jeans but I'm debating if I should return this or not. Looking for other options at this point as well. Any other suggestions?

Just got my SG AIWB (not the plus just the regular) and it prints and makes my waist look bulky. Not sure if its my holster, my gun, my body, or my jeans but I'm debating if I should return this or not. Looking for other options at this point as well. Any other suggestions?
    You cannot go wrong with dark star gear, custom carry concepts, jm custom kydex or keepers concealment. They all make purpose driven appendix holsters.

FYI I'm a 33 waist, 175 lbs, with a slight gut

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    You cannot go wrong with dark star gear, custom carry concepts, jm custom kydex or keepers concealment. They all make purpose driven appendix holsters.
    I'll look into those thanks!

the old version of Ravens ACR worked well,still use one to carry a Springfield Ultra compact 1911 sometimes....as far as T-REX...I'd use a dirty sock before I'd buy anything from that little git....
    txs171 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links