LEO Backup Guns - Page 2

LEO Backup Guns

This is a discussion on LEO Backup Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think guys who 'grew up' in the revolver era, still see a J-Frame as the 'go to' BUG even when the duty revolver got ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: LEO Backup Guns

LEO Backup Guns

I think guys who 'grew up' in the revolver era, still see a J-Frame as the 'go to' BUG even when the duty revolver got replaced by an auto. Reliability, the ability to execute a contact shot and plain old portability make a snubbie a winner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member

"no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

A Charter Arms .44 spl Bulldog in a Renegade ankle holster saved my life one dark, cold night.
    old grunt, Fergusson and Old Man like this.

VIP Member
    When I was a copper, (late 80's - 90's) I carried a S&W 4506 as my duty weapon and a S&W 4516 as my back-up, holstered for non-dominant hand draw in case my dominant hand was busy/injured.
    old grunt likes this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

While on duty or working an off duty security detail, I carry a in weak side cargo pocket a S&W 638!!!
    old grunt, Texas Red and Old Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    When I was a copper, (late 80's - 90's) I carried a S&W 4506 as my duty weapon and a S&W 4516 as my back-up, holstered for non-dominant hand draw in case my dominant hand was busy/injured.
    Are you saying your 4516 was holstered on your duty belt offside?
    Thumper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I think guys who 'grew up' in the revolver era, still see a J-Frame as the 'go to' BUG even when the duty revolver got replaced by an auto. Reliability, the ability to execute a contact shot and plain old portability make a snubbie a winner

I carried a colt agent 38 special for 10 years both before law enforcement as an "off duty" carry. I put a lot of rounds through that little colt , liked it better than the 5 shot J frame and even with the pachmayr grips was still easily to carry. I felt confident with it and was able to justify that the reliability of a revolver made it the best choice for me. Then one day a tried a firearms stress course using my issued sig p229 40, glock 26 and my colt 38. The times don't lie and was able to put the best hits on targets in the least amount of times with the little glock, slightly edging out the sig, but the colt 38 was not comparable. I probably already knew it, but couldn't admit it to myself until that day that for my reasons to carry, the colt 38 could was no longer adequate. I am not saying that a 6 shot or 5 shot revolver isn't the best choice for some people, just for my reasons. The advantage that reliable light weight semi-autos with modern ammunition and higher capacity magazines provides to a trained individual is hard to dispute, unless your last name is Miculek or Munden. JMO
    old grunt, cal44 and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar888 View Post
    Are you saying your 4516 was holstered on your duty belt offside?
    No, it was hidden in my vest.
    Darkstar888 likes this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Howdy!

Been retired for almost 10 years. I at times Glock 21 and Glock 30 as a secondary along with a KelTec 380 as backup. Then went to Glock 35 and Glock 27 as secondary along with the KelTec 380 as backup. Glock weapons system works well as the magazines for the larger Glock 21 and 35 will fit the the smaller ones Glock 30 and 27.

"Happy Trails"
    Chiefneon
    5lima30ret likes this.

LEO Backup Guns

Quote Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
    Howdy!

Been retired for almost 10 years. I at times Glock 21 and Glock 30 as a secondary along with a KelTec 380 as backup. Then went to Glock 35 and Glock 27 as secondary along with the KelTec 380 as backup. Glock weapons system works well as the magazines for the larger Glock 21 and 35 will fit the the smaller ones Glock 30 and 27.

"Happy Trails"
    Chiefneon
    3 guns on you at the same time? How were you carrying them? Guessing under the shirt and ankle for the Keltec?

KLCR . 357 magnum. Ankle, pocket, sob, owb, depends on what I'm doing!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    The ones I have worked with and currently talk to, usually use a snub nose in an ankle holster.
    "The great object is that every man be armed."
    Patrick Henry

NRA Benefactor Member
    USCG Veteran

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post

That is indeed a strong reason.

There are also a couple other reasons. 1. A good number of agencies authorize what if any bug an office can carry. The J-frame usually always has approval. 2. Many police officers must provide their own bug out-of-pocket if they want a backup. The S&W 442 & 642 are affordable.
    Echo700 likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN550 View Post
    I carried a colt agent 38 special for 10 years both before law enforcement as an "off duty" carry. I put a lot of rounds through that little colt , liked it better than the 5 shot J frame and even with the pachmayr grips was still easily to carry. I felt confident with it and was able to justify that the reliability of a revolver made it the best choice for me. Then one day a tried a firearms stress course using my issued sig p229 40, glock 26 and my colt 38. The times don't lie and was able to put the best hits on targets in the least amount of times with the little glock, slightly edging out the sig, but the colt 38 was not comparable. I probably already knew it, but couldn't admit it to myself until that day that for my reasons to carry, the colt 38 could was no longer adequate. I am not saying that a 6 shot or 5 shot revolver isn't the best choice for some people, just for my reasons. The advantage that reliable light weight semi-autos with modern ammunition and higher capacity magazines provides to a trained individual is hard to dispute, unless your last name is Miculek or Munden. JMO
    Great post.

Bold added for emphasis.

Lead Moderator
    I'm not a fan of ankle carrying anything.

It all started back in the days when I first got into "policing". We suited up in sweats and donned out duty rigs and backup guns all of them "blue guns".
    The idea was to get in full fledged fight, draw your weapon when you thought you needed to and say BANG to simulate shooting which would end the drill.

The problem was that it was never that easy. The bad guy was a big old farm boy that happened to be an Arkansas State Trooper that liked to fight. Most of the time, your gun would get knocked away and you had to resort to your backup. It was then that I learned that wearing a gun on your ankle was virtually worthless as he made sure you never could get to it. Even if you kneeled and tried to maintain some sort of defensive posture you just couldn't get to it.

Yeah its convenient but that's it. It's good if you are sitting in a restaurant sitting with a leg crossed where you can get to it.

That class really opened my eyes to what works and what didn't. I carry mine ITWB opposite my G21.I figure if 8 shots of 9mm wont do it then, its probably my time to go.
    Last edited by HotGuns; October 12th, 2016 at 04:18 PM.
    Darkstar888, SIXTO and 5lima30ret like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm not a fan of ankle carrying anything.

It all started back in the days when I first got into "policing". We suited up in sweats and donned out duty rigs and backup guns all of them "blue guns".
    The idea was to get in full fledged fight, draw your weapon when you thought you needed to and say BANG to simulate shooting which would end the drill.

The problem was that it was never that easy. The bad guy was a big old farm boy that happened to be an Arkansas State Trooper that liked to fight. Most of the time, your gun would get knocked away and you had to resort to your backup. It was then that I learned that wearing a gun on your ankle was virtually worthless as he made sure you never could get to it. Even if you kneeled and tried to maintain some sort of defensive posture you just couldn't get to it.

Yeah its convenient but that's it. It's good if you are sitting in a restaurant sitting with a leg crossed where you can get to it.

That class really opened my eyes to what works and what didn't. I carry mine ITWB opposite my G21.I figure if 8 shots of 9mm wont do it then, its probably my time to go.
    Many will ankle carry for convenience, but there are advantages and disadvantages for every way of carrying. Where ankle carry provides an advantage is for plain clothes officers spending a majority of their time conducting surveillance. Sitting in a vehicle for 8-12 hours/day,often with less than ideal room to move, it is easier to pull from an ankle holster. Also reaching for an ankle holster can be done without alerting anyone to movement where other methods may draw attention. There has been plenty of times that I have been in a "bad neighborhood" and my primary carry pinned against the center console would not be my first choice. This would apply to anyone spending time seated. For someone who prefers to only ankle carry , they can always keep a small paddle or clip holster to transfer their weapon to if they have a situation that requires a change to a more accessible carry location.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links