different 9mm

different 9mm

This is a discussion on different 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anyone have any experience with a springfield mod2 service model with the 4 inch barrel 9mm, or the ruger sr9...

Thread: different 9mm

different 9mm

anyone have any experience with a springfield mod2 service model with the 4 inch barrel 9mm, or the ruger sr9
    I got the fever,and the only prescription is more cowbell

Good pistol . A bit heavy for size but a fine pistol. The MOD2 offers a better grip and some minor metal . I lost interest in rugers pistols some years back . They look good and feel ok . Just not what they were in years gone bay .. You have to understand there are very few bad handguns today , not to say you would get a one that has to go home for some TLC but pick a name brand and model and its liked by many !!

Buy some snap caps , get out there and handle everything you can and dry fire if they will let you , This is were the snap caps come in !! Make notes on likes and dislikes to refine your choices and then see about renting all you can . Buy ammo in one size , like 9mm and many ranges will let you try what they have . Then YOU can decide what to buy . You know you can find out as much or more on a handgun by googling it too .

I have had the Mod 2 Service for about 6 months.

This is the 2nd of the 3 (NIB) MOD s that I bought or traded for.

Best trigger of any Springfield I've owned, but not as nice
    as the much simpler Ruger Commander in 9mm.

The MOD 2 will give me tiny groups if I work on trigger control.

Holds 16 rounds and points very well...as they must have copied the grip of
    'the Cz75.

However, I really have no need for a service sized 9mm other than
    for a range gun.

One can add a light or laser for home defense.

I never lied the SR9 trigger.

The Ruger American 9mm will probably surpass the
    SR9 series, and some Ruger guys are already predicting such.

Should you decide on a MOD 2 9mm,

Black Arch makes a nice holster.

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/co...-gen-2-holster
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

leaning towards the springfield,i'm a lefty and i like the left sided mag release

I have shot a friend's Mod2 Service in 9mm, and I liked it a lot. It shot very accurately for me, and the recoil was extremely low (9mm isn't bad anyway, but this one was particularly nice). I own a Mod2 in 45, and I like it as well. The Grip Zone may be a bit cheesy, but make no mistake, it's not just hype. It feels very good in the hand.

I have the Ruger SR40C the only difference is the SR9 is a fraction of an inch thinner. My SR trigger is the best feature of the Firearm. The ergos too are great. Minuses are the Magazine Disconnect Safety, and the Manual safety can get bumped into hot, by brushing up against hard objects.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

I have the Ruger SR9c and 40c. They are awesome. Triggers are great. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    I have shot a friend's Mod2 Service in 9mm, and I liked it a lot. It shot very accurately for me, and the recoil was extremely low (9mm isn't bad anyway, but this one was particularly nice). I own a Mod2 in 45, and I like it as well. The Grip Zone may be a bit cheesy, but make no mistake, it's not just hype. It feels very good in the hand.
    Yeah, i had that in my hand last weekend and it felt great. They had the sr 40 there also(at a gun show) but it was so crowded i didn't want to wait any longer.

Ruger's SR series have some of the best stock triggers in the industry. And since you mention that you're a lefty the mag releases are ambidextrous on the SR.

Unless you really desire a stainless gun, I'd recommend going for the 9E which gets rid of the Loaded Chamber Indicator. Still has the magazine safety disconnect (which can easily be disabled) and frame mounted safety. If you are patient for a good deal on Gunbroker you can walk away with a 9E for $300-$320 including FFL transfer and shipping costs. You'll only get one magazine so spend more of the budget on spare mags.

I have somewhere around 2500-2800 rounds through my 9E. And if you ever want to add an SR9c into the mix for carry you can share the 17rd mags.

Distinguished Member Array AmmoFan01's Avatar
    I have owned the Springfield Service 9, it wasn't the Mod 2 but still a terrific gun. I used to own a SR9, I didn't keep this one long. After one or two range trips, I noticed metal shavings in the striker channel. I contacted Ruger about this and they said it could damage the gun and that I would void the warranty if I took the striker assembly out to clean it. Ruger semi autos aren't on my wish list at the moment. Personally, I would take a Springfield over a Ruger any day.

Yikes, that sucks. why wouldn't they expect you to get it cleaned, kooky

Distinguished Member Array AmmoFan01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakShow66 View Post
    Yikes, that sucks. why wouldn't they expect you to get it cleaned, kooky
    Most manufacturers don't recommend going beyond basic field stripping to clean a handgun. I did have the option to send it in, but Ruger cs was under the impression that it was the ammo and not the gun. Either way I was getting metal shavings in my striker channel. I'm not implying that all Ruger firearms are bad, this was just my personal experience. I have never experienced metal shavings in the striker channel with other brands of ammo or firearms. Needless to say, this wasn't my best experience with Ruger.

Sponsored Links