Pistol Caliber Carbines, Why - Page 3

Pistol Caliber Carbines, Why

This is a discussion on Pistol Caliber Carbines, Why within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not going to argue any of the points that have been made in favor of a pistol caliber in a rifle. There are a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbines, Why

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I'm not going to argue any of the points that have been made in favor of a pistol caliber in a rifle. There are a lot of good arguments in favor of them. And some guns don't need justification if you just simply want them.

But for me, if I am going to carry a rifle, I would prefer have a rifle caliber in it. The one exception would be for a Sub2000. I would love to have a rifle that will fold into such compact size. It may not have rifle range, impact or accuracy, but it will be better than a handgun and almost as compact.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

I would think they would be great for home defense when you don't want a stray round going through three of your neighbor's houses...
    I would love to get my hands a camp 9, anybody know where to get one?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 19Kvet's Avatar
    For home defense I worry about the low mass, high velocity bullets of an intermediate caliber carbine over the slower and heavier bullets of a pistol caliber carbine but it's really the drastic increase in noise from the intermediate calibers that has me thinking about changing.

A full power 5.56 fired indoors is no joke.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Simple answer. They're fun and cheaper to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Okay, they give you a slight edge if velocity and sight radius, but why would you choose one over an AR carbine or the like should you ever have to actually use one in a gun fight? You get the same sight radius benefits, even more velocity, recoil is still very manageable (even for women and young adults), still light weight, and you get more velocity and range.
    Well, the increase in velocity is more like 40-50% which results in a doubling of muzzle energy. So, perhaps not so slight.

At least in the case of revolver cartridges and lever action rifles, I don't think gun fights are the real issue.

Most people who buy carbines for revolver calibers use them for target shoot at the range, plinking, or small or medium game hunting.

You don't see military units anywhere using lever actions -- not for 80 years or so. Use the AR or AK for that.

I'm not real concerned about holding off an invasion of ISIS fighters here in California with my Marlin 44 mag.
    Renaldow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    For home defense I worry about the low mass, high velocity bullets of an intermediate caliber carbine over the slower and heavier bullets of a pistol caliber carbine but it's really the drastic increase in noise from the intermediate calibers that has me thinking about changing.

A full power 5.56 fired indoors is no joke.
    Fire off 3 or 4 very rapid 556 rounds in a closed room with no hearing protection and you will have a new experience that will last for quite a while!!!!

Pistol caliber carbine do not have the blast or over pressure of a 556 or 308 in tight places.

With proper protection and a can on the 556 or 308 it is much better in side a tight room.

SWAT team with good protection can handle the rifle calibers in tight places but a home owner defending his home against a home invasion in the middle of the night with no time to really wake up and get on hearing protection might be much better served with a PCC or hand gun.
    19Kvet likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedz View Post
    Easier to shoot more accurately due to longer sight radius. More velocity from longer barrel. Very low recoil. Inexpensive ammo and can use same ammo as your carry gun. They are a great firearm to have around.
    It is a win-win!! Why carry different types of ammo, when you can carry one? Just like having my cowboy revolvers, along with the
    same caliber Henry lever action? Good to go.
    Renaldow and Freedz like this.
    "The great object is that every man be armed."
    Patrick Henry

NRA Benefactor Member
    USCG Veteran

If they weren't so ugly and 80's scifi looking, I'd like one of the Hi-Points. I think I'd still kind of like one, to be honest lol.
    jumperj and strider43 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by strider43 View Post
    I would think they would be great for home defense when you don't want a stray round going through three of your neighbor's houses...
    I would love to get my hands a camp 9, anybody know where to get one?
    Strider.. They are around, but not cheap.. Gunbroker usually has a few, and if you do regular Google searches of Marlin Camp 9, stores that have one can be located.. I just found one at a gun store in Mass, and had it shipped to a local FFL. gun was $725, shipping about $25, and $30 FFL fee.. It is a VERY nice little carbine!
    Clean ones go for $700 or so, sometimes a bit more or less depending on condition, and unfired ones still in box go for $1000+..
    You'll find one if you have $800 or so to spend... Also you will need to replace the recoil buffer if it has not been done.. Do some reading on it.. Its cheap and easy.
    If you want to spend less Chiappa Firearms make a similar carbine in 9mm,, Very traditional looking, like an M1 carbine.. They are known to be unreliable so far, unless the issues have been worked out... Also ruger made a PC 9 Carbine until around 2007 or so.. Very good rifle, but again, not real easy to find, and expensive when you do.. Good luck, let us know if you get one!... bob

Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    If they weren't so ugly and 80's scifi looking, I'd like one of the Hi-Points. I think I'd still kind of like one, to be honest lol.
    I thought the same thing till I bought one.. Now, she's so ugly, she's perty.. And a bore snake and a little oil is all ya need.. They shoot better dirty..They kinda grow on ya..
    Renaldow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    I thought the same thing till I bought one.. Now, she's so ugly, she's perty.. And a bore snake and a little oil is all ya need.. They shoot better dirty..They kinda grow on ya..
    Yeah, that's what I've heard. I'll probably break down one day and get one when I'm at a gun show and it's sitting there all alone, with nobody buying it.
    jumperj likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Almost forgot. Pistol caliber carbines are easy to suppress. You could shoot a subsonic 147 grain 9mm round at at target in your living room and your wife standing over the sink washing the dishes wouldn't know you were shooting it.

I'll admit...I like em. Pure dee fun.

Here is a small sampling. Mostly 9mm's and a .22 but I do have some .45's and a 10mm. I built a .40 AR for a guy and he loves it.

TSKnight, glockcoma and mbschne like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Any one who has followed my posts knows I love my PCC's. I've had more than I can count over the years. Mostly revolver cartridges, but have had both 9mm and 45acp.

Currently, I have two. A Ruger PC9 and a Rossi Puma in 45Colt.
    Up until a few weeks ago the PC9 had an Aimpoint Pro on it. Definitely plan to replace it as soon as I can afford to. Here's a thread that explains one reason I like the PCC. https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...9-coyotes.html

Rifles have their place, but the PCC (lever or semi-auto) fills its own role with little to complain about.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Why do we need phones that text? Don't we have computers for that?
    Guess they bridge the gap between pistols and rifles.

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    How can one not love a good Winchester 92 carbine or a Marlin 94 Carbine in .357 magnum. What sweet machines they are. All you need do is shoot a nice one to know how much fun they are.

More on the defense side of things, I've been kicking around the idea of a MechTech carbine upper for my Glock 22. They sure look like they would be an awesome home defense carbine.

Gear/Gun Review: MechTech Carbine Conversion Unit -- TTAG

http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links