Colt revolvers return - Page 3

Colt revolvers return

This is a discussion on Colt revolvers return within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty A friend worked at the West Hartford plant designing new tooling for Colt in the 80s. All that hand fitting that ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: Colt revolvers return

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A friend worked at the West Hartford plant designing new tooling for Colt in the 80s. All that hand fitting that Colt was famous for was a necessity due to sloppy design and fabrication tolerances, which led to wide dimensional variations from part to part. My friend worked on new tooling for the pistols because Colt was essentially out of the mainstream revolver business at that point. In order to keep prices reasonable I'm sure Colt took the new tooling approach for any new revolvers, so any significant hand-fitting should be a thing of the past - for better or worse.
    Even if we're talking about 1989, that's still over 25 years ago! The technology & capability of holding MUCH tighter CNC tolerances have reduced the necessity for "hand fitting", so those associated costs have substantially declined. If Colt really IS (completely) retooling to reintroduce their DA/SA revolver line? The price just might be a...pleasant surprise!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Colt is planning to reintroduce the Python. It was mentioned at the last SHOT Show, although no pics, and a friend of mine who does business with Colt has handled one of the fire-able prototypes. He said it looks just like the vintage Python, except the trigger guard is slightly larger, but the internals are all modern. He expects it to be competitively priced.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    They lost me with the Fiber optics front site. I just bought a Kimber K6S. I've had lot of Smith Wesson and Ruger's over the years but the fit finish and smooth trigger blows them away. The Kimber reminds me of the Colt revolvers form years past. I wonder if Colt will cheapen out and use MIM or castings. Yes I know Kimber's customer sucks hopefully I'll never need it.
    I also have the K6s. I'm not familiar with revolvers at all, but a good friend fired my K6s yesterday and told me that he was amazed at the trigger and fit and finish. He said it was much better than his model 19. I'm really getting into revolvers, and I'll probably buy this one.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Even if we're talking about 1989, that's still over 25 years ago! The technology & capability of holding MUCH tighter CNC tolerances have reduced the necessity for "hand fitting", so those associated costs have substantially declined. If Colt really IS (completely) retooling to reintroduce their DA/SA revolver line? The price just might be a...pleasant surprise!
    But the CNC and tolerances are a good as the company will allow.
    OD* and Geezer like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    But the CNC and tolerances are a good as the company will allow.
    I think I understand your point.

Yet my focus was about capability. I've watched it go from Bridgeport mills/micrometers to Haas CNC machining centers/3D Coordinate Measuring Machines to 3D Solids model structures in theoretical math data. Heck, I reTIRED from the QC world 15 years ago & we were checking (GD&T) turbocharger impellers & jet engine fans to millionths...METRIC.

I would LOVE to see how "tight" the latest & greatest technology can hold & repeat!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by casurvivor View Post
    trigger guard looks different, less rounded, maybe is the angle of the pic though
    You could be right too. To me, it looks like the DSII with a different front sight. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I think I understand your point.

Yet my focus was about capability. I've watched it go from Bridgeport mills/micrometers to Haas CNC machining centers/3D Coordinate Measuring Machines to 3D Solids model structures in theoretical math data. Heck, I reTIRED from the QC world 15 years ago & we were checking (GD&T) turbocharger impellers & jet engine fans to millionths...METRIC.

I would LOVE to see how "tight" the latest & greatest technology can hold & repeat!
    Yea, I ran CNC's for over 20 years and was also doing QC. Before that, I ran parts the old way. I have seen what a company does when they cut corners, to save a money.
    Last edited by SatCong; December 31st, 2016 at 06:12 PM.
    OD* and Geezer like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You could be right too. To me, it looks like the DSII with a different front sight. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yep, you're right is called Cobra
    COBRA.jpg Colt_Media_Day_16-00396.JPG Colt_Media_Day_16-00425.JPG Colt_Media_Day_16-00448.JPG

COBRA.jpg click on the link, hope it works

https://1911addicts.s3.amazonaws.com...c3a0b4242c.JPG

As for the looks, it dosen't do anything for me. I'll stick with my J-Frames.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Yea, I ran CNC's for over 20 years and was also doing QC. Before that, I ran parts the old way. I have seen what a company does when they cut corners, to save a money.
    Brother Sat, maybe your cynicism is about Colt corporate greed is well-founded. I'm just excited about some beautiful designs being reintroduced. And (purely) imagining how that once "hand-fitted" precision (those skills are harder/more costly to FIND now) might be augmented (replaced?) by modern technology so I DON'T have to rent-out the spare bedroom to...buy one!
    SatCong and bmcgilvray like this.

Colts new Cobra is now on the Colt website. http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers/Cobra

What is a linear leaf spring? And why is it better?
    Certified Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    What is a linear leaf spring? And why is it better?
    Leaf springs don't stack up on you when you press the trigger.
    Cuda66 and bmcgilvray like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

MSRP of $699 (according to spec sheet in post above)?! Wow! That's under S&W 640/649 (MSRP $729). They evidently are serious about directly competing with S&W for the small, all-steel revolver market, even though this is .38 Sp +p. I'll be interested to see how it feels in hand compared to my 1976-made DS.

Distinguished Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    Colts new Cobra is now on the Colt website. Cobra | Colt

That's a pretty pistol, but it's giving me a bad case of GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome)!!!
    Arejay likes this.
    "Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links