Thoughts on DiamondBack DB9 - Page 2

Thoughts on DiamondBack DB9

This is a discussion on Thoughts on DiamondBack DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mattstone Well not really 200 bucks, i just based it around that because the lcp is 220 around here and i trust ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Thoughts on DiamondBack DB9

Quote Originally Posted by mattstone View Post
    Well not really 200 bucks, i just based it around that because the lcp is 220 around here and i trust it so i wouldnt buy something for 300 not knowing a lot about it, this isnt a required purchase and I can wait, just didnt want to since the wife is interested in her ccdw and its taken me 2 years to get her there. Kinda afraid if i wait she might decide that 75 dollars needs to be spent somewhere else ya know. I asked about the db9 because the last time i looked at it, they were selling around 300, i know a little bit back the Ruger lcp and taurus tcp both got reduced in price by close to 100 dollars, both of which are good guns (+1 to the lcp though) and I thought that maybe Diamondback followed suit, especially in lite of Trump taking office soon and being more gun friendly then the last US President. Its no issue, I mean i like the Keltec looks wise but this isnt a girlfriend or a trophy so im not about showing off. One of the things i love about the lcp is its looks, rather its non flashy, doesnt draw attention and just sits in my back pocket in my Desantis holster quietly waiting in case I ever need it. I like small pistols like the lcp because it means i carry them much more often, the lcp is on me all the time. I pocket carry most of the time but do have a IWB holster for it and carry that way if im in dress pants or shorts (unless they are cargo).

As for the LCP II, YESSSSSS I would love to have that gun, unfortunately it sells for around 300 and is a bit out of my price range right now. Im not one to have 15 different handguns to carry, I dont have caliber hangups and have carried a Phoenix Arms 22lr before working back on a mountain as a security guard. Mind you I dont carry 22lr unless i have to, however 380 is fine, I dont fall into that .45 or better category of thought. Will a 380 work everytime, no, neither will a 357, but for me the trade off of having something light and easy to carry means I have it, so is a 380 in the pocket better then a 40sw at home? Thats my carry mentality, im not looking to take on special forces or the next terminator, im looking to make sure my wife and kids are safe if something was to ever happen that was completely out of control and I had to defend us right there on the spot.

I avoid places that I think are problem areas, dont go to bars, clubs or anything like that. Our area is more country then city but I do frequent a larger city due to family medical visits. I try my best to pay attention to my surroundings and watch other peoples body language and if i think somethings off, im outta there, ill find law enforcement if possible or head for someplace indoors.

Sorry long winded there, anyway im not pushing for anything, just asking for opinions on those guns, db9 is out, done, gone, never gonna buy it. Keltec dont know, might buy it or might just stick with my lcp.....at least its not a Cobra 380

Almost forgot to address the price the LCP is 220 pre tax, no ffl or background charge in KY so 233.20 out the door, ordering online however does incur fees, the ffls in this area seem to punish people for buying online most charge 50.00 to 75.00 to receive an ordered gun from online like buds gun shop so it makes those prices kinda null and just as easy to buy locally, though I am planning to just drive to Lexington Ky and check out buds in person, its only a couple hour drive from me, not sure if their online prices are the same in store or not.

My adivce

Hunt the gun auction and deal sites and maybe gun shopes for the shopes that do police trade in ..I have seen s&w 65 and the like for 279 on there ..Heck a while back so used Bretta Couger compact 40cals for like 200 bucks with 10 bucks a mag with it ..Deals are out there ...

Now if you have to have a new gun then I would say get a LCP 2 saw up and do it ...Or a p3at which will be a lot cheeper

Oh and skip the Phoneix imop weird safty and you can use the good ammo like stingers etc in it

Frankly LCP are cheep now so if you dont mind them and dont want to shell out the extra 100 bucks or so get a LCP ...

I dont mind Keltc make decent guns but to many they are the same as Taurus some good others eh
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

WAIT I got it now ..

What about a G2 taurus ? They are selling for 200 bucks now OTD brand new ..hold 12 rounds are compact and are decents guns imop ..And they use Sig 226 or such mags
    TeflonDon likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=107071

This is what I am talking about 200 bucks or so from most places ..9mm is like 10 bucks a box for 50 rounds online ..And you can use a wide range of mags in the gun from the Taurus and even sig line

It does have a re strike ablity and easy glock take down

Now not close to a sig or such but it is one of the few (other then older wheel guns like the 85s ) I would be ok with using and carrying

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If you need a gun to practice malfunction drills they are second to none.

I've had several students bring these for classes. Not one student had a malfunction free class.

They would fall two levels below a rock for usefulness.

As to using one for personal safety and carry, they'd disprove the old adage "better than nothing".

Did I mention I'm not crazy about them?
    TeflonDon likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I would love, absolutely love to have a pt111 g2, wanted one for so long, they are unicorns around here, no one has them, when they do they sell for like 300 bucks. Online orders around here suck cause local ffl dealers charge ridiculous amounts to receive orders from online and transfer to you. Also ive never found any shops around here that do police trade ins, most of what we have is combo gun/pawn shops with only a few legit gun stores and they rarely have any used guns for sale, if they do they are within 50 bux of the new price. Case in point a used Keltec p11 at a local dealer sold for 235 dollars, new it 275 in that shop. Meh ill look around and see and might end up buying the p11 new if i end up going to Lexington and can go to buds.

VIP Member
    I was not too impressed with mine and sold it

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    I bought one about a year ago and ran about 250 rounds thru it with no jams or misfires. The gun seemed to like blazer brass ball ammo and no more than 125gr Federal hst. I thought it might replace my 432pd in my pocket but with all the neg reports it sits in the safe instead. I have a sccy 9mm as a truck gun and it has been very dependable.
    I added a mag extension for a better grip and recoil was not bad at all. Maybe the better grip helped with the recoil and ammo feed idk

My DB9 was a JAM-A MATIC and I really tried to get it to run right tried, different mags, different ammo (wide selection to choose from jammed with all), clean and buff, and you name it and it was done to try to fix this worthless wonder.

Hurt hand to shoot it and I am not recoil sensitive, well it is someone else's problem now and no more Diamond Backs for me!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Want a great airboat then DB is a good choice . Want a low cost carry gun go else where . KT , SCCY , Kahr Highpoint and so one . If recoils a issues . Save your money for a better costlier heavier handguns .

OP - Just. Stop. Get another LCP. Don't overthink this. Then you and your wife can share ammo, spare mags, holsters, etc. It actually makes a whole lot of sense.

My most often carried guns are...a pair of LCPs. My wife, when she carries, has her own LCP. For the money, they just cannot be beat. And Ruger, unlike some of the other brands mentioned here (DB, Taurus, Kel Tec, etc) has excellent customer service, should you ever need it.

Just get the LCP, and be done with it.
    vminghelli2 likes this.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I had a P11 many years ago that had feeding issues, but mag springs a feed ramp polish cleaned it right up. I wish I never sold because those are tiny.

However, many don't like the trigger. That big long double action pull is hard for some folks to deal with. I just practiced until I could shoot well with it.

Meanwhile, the Taurus PT111 G2 is a dream to shoot. That gun for $209 is the best deal on the market.
    hardluk1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    I bought one about a year ago and ran about 250 rounds thru it with no jams or misfires. The gun seemed to like blazer brass ball ammo and no more than 125gr Federal hst. I thought it might replace my 432pd in my pocket but with all the neg reports it sits in the safe instead. I have a sccy 9mm as a truck gun and it has been very dependable.
    I added a mag extension for a better grip and recoil was not bad at all. Maybe the better grip helped with the recoil and ammo feed idk

I bought a CPX-2 a few years ago and it has proven the opposite, it had been back to the factory three times before replacing it with a new pistol. The new pistol didn't work out of the box and had to go back. The new one has been back 3 times now and the slide broke, they sent me a new slide. It seems to work ok with one of the mags, with the other mag you have to fight to chamber rounds...If I had to do over I would of spent another $100.00 and got an LC9

I have a Diamond DB9, I have the newer model Gen 2 model. (Gen 2 is not the official name)
    I have never had an issue with this gun, hundreds of rounds with no problems. I only should decent quality ammo, no re-Loads.

One thing this gun does do is crack your hand (really heavy duty recoil). You shoot 50 rounds of ammo through this gun at one time and you will have a sore hand. Check Internet, there are pictures of the differences between the 1st gen DB9 and the 2nd gen DB9.
    Pretty easy to identify. I own LCP, LCP custom, and just got LCP 2, great guns, but if you want the smallest 9mm you can fit in your pocket, the Diamondback DB9 works. Just don't shot +P ammo with it.
    Petroleum 1 and rlora like this.

VIP Member
    The db9, is as stated, garbage. If you want a good, we'll priced subcompact 9mm get either the the lc9s or lc9s pro I picked my pro up used for 350 bucks with nights sights holsters and two mags. Best trigger you will find.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I have a Diamond DB9, I have the newer model Gen 2 model. (Gen 2 is not the official name)
    I have never had an issue with this gun, hundreds of rounds with no problems. I only should decent quality ammo, no re-Loads.

One thing this gun does do is crack your hand (really heavy duty recoil). You shoot 50 rounds of ammo through this gun at one time and you will have a sore hand. Check Internet, there are pictures of the differences between the 1st gen DB9 and the 2nd gen DB9.
    Pretty easy to identify. I own LCP, LCP custom, and just got LCP 2, great guns, but if you want the smallest 9mm you can fit in your pocket, the Diamondback DB9 works. Just don't shot +P ammo with it.
    Just my opinion here, but pretty much the same as steig. I had a Gen1 with no problems, then sold for a Gen2 and no problems at all with it. Obviously it is not a range gun, so 2 maybe 3 mags at the most at the range and that's it, and yes no +P, no re-loads; only 115gr new ammo and Hornady Critical Defense for carry. For me it is simply a bug that occasionally I carry while at the house depending on the clothing I'm wearing as I have access to other firearms. All my firearms are 9mm so that's the reason what I bought it, and for what I use it for, it works.
    steig and Petroleum 1 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links