Ruger LCP II or Kahr CW380 - Page 2

Ruger LCP II or Kahr CW380

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP II or Kahr CW380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me? I've never owned a stee l-framed Kahr that didn't run like a TIMEX (" Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin' "). My luck with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP II or Kahr CW380

Me? I've never owned a steel-framed Kahr that didn't run like a TIMEX ("Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin' "). My luck with the poly-frames hasn't been that, uhhh...stellar. I vote Ruger!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I was in the same predicament as the OP last summer. I looked closely at the Ruger and the CW380. My purpose for buying a micro .380 was very specific, to carry while cycling on my road bike. I own a 9-year old Kahr P9 that I've used as my hot weather carry most of the time since buying it. The P9 has been perfect in those years and 2K+ rounds fired through it. Not one jam or bobble of any kind. No break in period was needed. So, another Kahr would not be a totally new experience for me.

I couldn't find an LCP locally to rent. I admit to being somewhat influenced by two of the men who work in my favorite local gun shop. Both are big time shooters and retirees with military experience and one a retired police lieutenant and former SWAT team leader. Both said the LCP was a jewel to carry, but absolutely no fun to actually shoot.

I would up buying the Kahr CW380 and started running Winchester flat nosed and American Eagle round nosed through it. The first day I shot the 200 round break in period recommended in the owners manual. Couple of jams in the first magazine. Now I have a bit over 500 rounds though it including two boxes Gold Dot hollow points. It runs great and shoots more accurately than I expected, at least out to 10 yards. Recoil is light even though this is a small gun with little real estate to hold onto. For my purpose I like the fact that the Kahr is bare stainless and polymer as cycling in warm weather is sweaty business.

OP, good luck with your choice. Even though I bought the Kahr I'm sure I would have been equally happy with the Ruger.

The information in this post is just an experience of one - mine.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Ruger LCP II hands down! The LCP has a far better track record in the reliability department as well! Reliability is paramount to me even more so than caliber! Just my .02 worth! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ether a TCP380 or a CT380 kahr not the lcpII or the cw380 .

Quote Originally Posted by Scotticus View Post

The LCP 2 has an ergonomic grip (as far as pocket guns go), a "nice" trigger with a light take up, crisp wall, and short reset (so clearly more fun to just shoot). Front slide serrations. Due to the style of trigger pull, they added a "trigger safety" toggle thing. I like that is has a nitron finish (or rugers version of that) on the slide. I've not read anything about malfunctions.

I went with the LCPII. The above is true as well as the ability to fire a round with the mag out and the LCPII slide will lock back on the last round. The trigger is fantastic and the little gun is accurate. Ergonomics are spot on, and I have a large hand.

Distinguished Member Array Rainsong's Avatar
    Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    I bought an LCP Custom a few months ago with the idea I would retire my Taurus TCP for a "Real" pocket .380. The TCP has a better trigger (only 4.5 lbs but LONG), less recoil (I don't know why, it just does) I can shoot 50-100 rds out of my TCP in a session without my hand hurting. 25 rds from the LCP and my hand is stinging. The TCP also has about 1/2" longer sight radius by design making it shoot more accurate for me and it locks open on the last shot. I know some people have had relibility issues with the TCP and the Ruger DOES seem more rugged and better made, I'm just reporting my findings. Both have been reliable and feed freedommunnitions ammo without a hitch as well as the XTP self defense rds.
    The LCP is in the drawer as a back up on the chance something DOES happen to my TCP and I have to send it off, but until than the TCP is my primary pocket carry.
    SmoothJazz and hardluk1 like this.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    SIg Sauer P938 9mm (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

I have a Kahr PM9 ($600 gun) and a LCP gen 2 ($200 gun). Unfortunately, the Kahr is not reliable, so I use the LCP when concealing. The Kahr has feed ramp problems. Kahr even sent me a new barrel, but it still has problems.
    Doghandler and 5lima30ret like this.

I bought the LCP 2. Very excited for it. I didn't realize that it also comes with a pocket holster. It may not the be the best, but it's a nice addition
    Struckat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
    I have a Kahr PM9 ($600 gun) and a LCP gen 2 ($200 gun). Unfortunately, the Kahr is not reliable, so I use the LCP when concealing. The Kahr has feed ramp problems. Kahr even sent me a new barrel, but it still has problems.
    That sucks about your Kahr. I am interested in a CM9 or PM9. but I have seen there can be issues with Kahr's.

Anyway to OP; You cant go wrong with with a Ruger LCP 2.

Quote Originally Posted by GPNP View Post
    I second the Kahr CT380. Beautiful piece of work. I love mine.
    Same with mine - it replaced my 1st Gen LCP (which I still like). However, the slide is really tough to rack, and imagine the CW380 with its shorter length is even more difficult to manipulate. Have read a lot of complaints about the CW380 on the Kahrtalk board, so that's why I bought the CT. Plus it is a little larger so the grip holds my pinky finger. The CT has run as smooth as a fresh shave for me this past year & a half. Can still pocket carry it in a Remora, but it is noticeable taller than the Ruger (although a bit thinner).

The LCP II might be an interesting new one to put on my want list - I like both Rugers and Kahrs - have had several of each make. Ruger has a much better customer service reputation if needed.

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    The LCP shoots the Lehigh XPs where as some other guns won't. I don't remember if Kahr was the worst or not. My LCP is still old enough where it will handle the 6+1 magzine and the ten rounders as well. Some of the fancy new ones only take the six rounders so I wouldn't want one of those. If I can't carry at least eight rounds counting the one in the chamber I won't carry. I just read on another posting where a guy was giving sonnycrocket (.380 for self defense) advice about a set back issue with the ammo he loaded into his Kahr and he said that the feed ramp on the Kahr is too steep right out of the factory and that is what causes the hard loading. If I were you I would see if there are any of the LCP customs left. I don't care for the LCP II because of the issue with the limited capacity magazines.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    You may want to also take a look at the Beretta Pico. I recently went through the exercise of picking a new pocket gun and looked at them all. The Pico had all of the features I desired plus it has the thinnest profile. It has proven to be accurate and very reliable with all ammo tested, about 10 different rounds so far. The modular design is pretty neat, sights are good, stainless slide and a good trigger. I considered the Kahrs but their reputation is not solid enough. The Ruger looked good to me but the Pico won the day.
    SmoothJazz likes this.

My pocket pistol is a CM9 kahr , low cost and very reliable with over 2000 rounds threw it . Biggest problems with the small kahrs is ammo and the owners being sure they pass a plunk test with the ammo . Tight chambers on kahrs . Then use what even carry ammo you plane on using for the first 50 rounds . With a 9mm version a good 124gr +P hp will aid with breaking in a +P rated pistol . Some low powered 115gr loads my not cycle the slide fully and cause feeding issues when new . Last stop shooting when you have to re grip between shoots , your not in control of the grip any longer so take a break or be done for the day .

I have 4 kahrs with around 10,000 rounds threw them and not a single failure to function properly .
    Rainsong and Litespeed like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rainsong's Avatar
    Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Same with mine - it replaced my 1st Gen LCP (which I still like). However, the slide is really tough to rack, and imagine the CW380 with its shorter length is even more difficult to manipulate. Have read a lot of complaints about the CW380 on the Kahrtalk board, so that's why I bought the CT. Plus it is a little larger so the grip holds my pinky finger. The CT has run as smooth as a fresh shave for me this past year & a half. Can still pocket carry it in a Remora, but it is noticeable taller than the Ruger (although a bit thinner).

The LCP II might be an interesting new one to put on my want list - I like both Rugers and Kahrs - have had several of each make. Ruger has a much better customer service reputation if needed.

Look at the sight radius difference on these 2 guns. Granted they aren' target pistols, but the Kahr has at least 1/2" longer sight radius than than the LCP (same as the TCP). That is a huge difference on a gun that small and should make it more accurate. I know it does on my TCP.
    5lima30ret likes this.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    SIg Sauer P938 9mm (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

The sights on my Kahr are easy for my 72 year old eyes to see. My old LCP used to have rudimentary sights, but they have kinda faded for me in recent years. lol
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links