Learned something new on this forum today

This is a discussion on Learned something new on this forum today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never would have thought of actually. I saw a discussion in the archives about carrying a valuable, antique, rare, historic or sentimental value handgun.. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Learned something new on this forum today

I never would have thought of actually.

I saw a discussion in the archives about carrying a valuable, antique, rare, historic or sentimental value handgun..
    NEVER thought about the fact that if [God forbid] a person was forced to use such a gun to defend his life,loved ones, or property, it would be taken into evidence and possibly might never be returned.. So I guess the guideline is, carry something thats readily replaced, and leave the "good stuff" at home in the safe... Never thought about such a thing, but its really good advice. bob
    ShooterGranny likes this.

That's why they invented Glocks, actually.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I saw that happen to a good friend of mine. It was seized by the police.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    It's worth considering for sure. The majority of my carry guns either retail for under $600, or are used/police trade guns that were cheap and easy to replace at the same price should something happen.
    Doogie and wizard7mm08 like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    It's worth considering for sure. The majority of my carry guns either retail for under $600, or are used/police trade guns that were cheap and easy to replace at the same price should something happen.
    Its just something I never considered at all from a gun owners standpoint.

I have been a performing musician much of my life.Guitarist.. I had a collection of rare old electric guitars from the 60's, but after a while I realized that one bad trip off a guitar stand could turn my $5000 1965 Gibson SG or1967 ES 335 into junk with a snapped off headstock.. stopped using the old stuff and used modern guitars that I could replace easily.. Never considered it for gun owners however... bob
    Ianthin and ShooterGranny like this.

Yep shooting in self defense with your $3000 Wilson would really suck, especially if someone jackwad in evidence desides to stencil the case # into your frame
    Ianthin, msgt/ret, BIGSAM and 3 others like this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

flh
    A retired coworker was ordered "throw the gun away !! " his prized 1911 , some one broke into his garage late at night , his wife called 911 , he waited inside his home with his 1911 in hand , when he heard the Leo arrive he walked out into his garage , totally forgetting he was armed , he tried to explain he was the caller/home owner , he tried to set the gun down gently , he was ordered a second time , he did as he was told , he said it made him sick hearing his gun hit the floor ,
    maxwell97 likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    That's why they invented Glocks, actually.
    I would agree... except for the fact that my wife says, "Even bad guys deserve to be shot with a pretty gun."

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    I would agree... except for the fact that my wife says, "Even bad guys deserve to be shot with a pretty gun."
    Or at least not a dirty gun!
    Sarge65 likes this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Yep, it wouldn't be pretty tuff to loose a $ 3000 gun, but you do want a pistol you trust your life with.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

The City I Retiered from used to keep thier confiscated guns all piled in a box. No bags, nothing. Just tagged and tossed in the box. Made me want to cry.
    niks likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    One of a few reasons I don't think I'll ever justify spending over a grand on an EDC.

If I feel the urge to carry something like say, my grandfather's Blackhawk, it'll be on a hunt or property walk. Not during a short run into town, let alone a trip into the city.
    Haywood likes this.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

I think you should carry the gun you shoot the best and will be most effective in protecting your life.

And not worry about the price.

People ask how you would feel if a $3000 gun was taken as evidence after you used it in self defense.

Well, how would you feel if you got shot and landed in the ICU because you used a second rate defense gun?

In a shooting my top priority is coming out alive, not how expense a gun I lost to the evidence locker.

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    You can't put a price tag on your life. If a $3000 gun saves your life I'd say it's worth the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm agreeing with Brad (post #2). I bought my first GLOCK (G19) as a "beater" to keep in my truck door-pocket, tackle box and/or on the houseboat. Figured it was as disposable as a Bic lighter compared to more finely-finished 1911 variants, S&W K-frames & BHPs. Little did I know that I'd actually end up...LIKING IT!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links