Keltec PMR30

Keltec PMR30

This is a discussion on Keltec PMR30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I doubt it's anywhere near the effectiveness of a higher caliber but the pistol has me intrigued. Any first hand users? How's the accuracy? I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Keltec PMR30

Keltec PMR30

I doubt it's anywhere near the effectiveness of a higher caliber but the pistol has me intrigued.

Any first hand users? How's the accuracy? I know they recommend CCI. How's reliability? Anyone using it as a concealed carry gun? 30 rounds of 22 WMR would not necessarily be a slouch. I know I'd hate to be hit with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I've shot a couple of them. Accuracy was as good as I can shoot, point of aim seemed to be point of impact out to 50 yrds - could keep a tennis ball bouncing out and over a 50 yard berm. I would agree they are ammo sensitive - both of the ones I shot were finicky about what was being used and how it was loaded. For self defense? Better than a .22LR. Not sure I would carry one, but before I even considered it I would want lots of rounds fired through the gun by me that functioned flawlessly and then I would do my own tests including buying a car door from the wrecking yard to see how it performs. But that's just me.

I've fired one yet don't own one. Trigger was (IMHO) so-so at best. Basically you're carrying a G17-sized handgun with 13 more rounds (in ~"half" the caliber) before mag reload. Yep, they're an interesting handgun, but to me, more of an entertainment piece than anything I would carry.
    joker1 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Being a rimfire, I would think you might encounter the occasional "dud" round. Not what I want in a defensive pistol.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

3 replies but no actual owners..

I actually own one and have put 1250+ rounds through mine. Have also shot two others belonging to friends. Absolute blast to shoot, very accurate and the trigger is fantastic. I have carried mine and have no reservations whatsoever. I can put round after round on target with little recoil.

Mine eats everything I feed it and I have an extensive variety of 22 mag. It's light and easy to carry (although I open carry) and garners lots of comments and discussions as everyone wants one.

Even if you don't carry it, you want one.
    ripley16, CaptSmith and Curt58 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I doubt it's anywhere near the effectiveness of a higher caliber but the pistol has me intrigued.

Any first hand users? How's the accuracy? I know they recommend CCI. How's reliability? Anyone using it as a concealed carry gun? 30 rounds of 22 WMR would not necessarily be a slouch. I know I'd hate to be hit with one.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a first hand user.
    Accuracy is OK. It's an odd shaped pistol and I'm sure if you practiced with it it would come more natural.
    Reliability is good, but if I recall I had to polish the feed ramp and throat the barrel a little. It had a very sharp edge the round had to get over. Loading it is a pain in the butt. It's all loaded up now, but when I'm shooting and loading I usually don't load all 30 rounds as it becomes tedious.
    I've shot CCI, Hornady poly tipped and Armscor soft points through mine.
    No concealed carry. Strictly a fun gun. Poor man's FN 5.7. Sweet trigger and no recoil. And 30 rounds in a pistol is nothing to sneeze at, regardless of caliber. You don't even feel them in there, as opposed to an extended magazine in a larger pistol caliber.
    The only Keltec I own and I like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Keltec PMR30-8-yds.jpg  

Had mine for over 3 years . Long ago lost count how many rounds through it . NEVER missed a lick ! Perfect function , any ammo ( shortage when I first got it , couldn't be choosey) , every time or conditions . Great sights , easy to shoot accurately . One rattlesnake , one shot to the head :-D Wouldn't carry it in the dark , way too much muzzle flash ! More than anything else I own or shoot . Very happy with it overall . Often carry it on woods or prairie hikes . Conceals easily , but fat grip prints pretty bad .

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I've put about 800 rounds through my PMR30. So far, even the brands Kel Tec said not to use have worked, (a list of approved and disapproved ammo comes in the box). The Armscor worked but is very different from quality ammo. I bought a 2000 round case of CCI and haven't had any problems other than a few partial feeds solved with a slap to the slide.

The gun is an absolute blast. Indoors it gets pretty loud. Accuracy is good but seems to fade when the barrel gets hot and it does after some hot and heavy "can't help myself" long strings. Did I say it's fun? My original buffer is showing some wear and deformation so I wonder about it's overall life. I already bought replacements thinking 1000-2000 is going to do it in. We'll see.

I doubt I'd ever use it as a carry just out of rimfire reliability principle, although I have carried a TPH a time or two. I view it more as a range toy and at that it is perfect. I waited to see a sub $400 price and at that price I consider it a good deal on the smiles per dollar scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I've put about 800 rounds through my PMR30. So far, even the brands Kel Tec said not to use have worked, (a list of approved and disapproved ammo comes in the box). The Armscor worked but is very different from quality ammo. I bought a 2000 round case of CCI and haven't had any problems other than a few partial feeds solved with a slap to the slide.

The gun is an absolute blast. Indoors it gets pretty loud. Accuracy is good but seems to fade when the barrel gets hot and it does after some hot and heavy "can't help myself" long strings. Did I say it's fun? My original buffer is showing some wear and deformation so I wonder about it's overall life. I already bought replacements thinking 1000-2000 is going to do it in. We'll see.

I doubt I'd ever use it as a carry just out of rimfire reliability principle, although I have carried a TPH a time or two. I view it more as a range toy and at that it is perfect. I waited to see a sub $400 price and at that price I consider it a good deal on the smiles per dollar scale.
    How does it differ from "quality ammo"?
    I haven't run mine through a chronograph, but it feels consistent.

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    I own two of them and they are fantastic shooters. Loading the mag has to be done correctly or you will get a jam. I have run cci and Remington ammo. I have on occasion used mine as a truck gun. This gun can throw a lot of lead down range in a hurry I believe it would be effective in a self defense situation.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    How does it differ from "quality ammo"?
    I haven't run mine through a chronograph, but it feels consistent.
    Based on one or two boxes; the WMR Armscor will fire and work the action but it obviously feels under powered compared to the CCI. The report is also much less, similar say as standard .22lr Versus a Stinger. Sounds and feels like a half power charge.
    PAcanis likes this.

Thanks. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I shoot some.

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    If a person was going to carry a .22 or .22 mag for self defense, I would recommend a revolver. When you combine a risk of detonation reliability with a rimfire, with a semi auto risks of malfunction, it just seems like not a desirable combination for high reliability need in SD. At least a 22 revolver will reliably move on the the next round if a rimfire does not detonate. I think it would be a fun gun. I don't have anything against carrying whatever caliber you choose, but it just seems like for SD, the combo of rimfire and semi-auto makes for reliability risks.

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    If a person was going to carry a .22 or .22 mag for self defense, I would recommend a revolver. When you combine a risk of detonation reliability with a rimfire, with a semi auto risks of malfunction, it just seems like not a desirable combination for high reliability need in SD. At least a 22 revolver will reliably move on the the next round if a rimfire does not detonate. I think it would be a fun gun. I don't have anything against carrying whatever caliber you choose, but it just seems like for SD, the combo of rimfire and semi-auto makes for reliability risks.
    The 22 wmr ammo seems to be better quality than your average 22LR. I have never had a misfire on any Remington or cci wmr firing hundreds of rounds thru my PMR 30.
    Texas Red likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    The 22 wmr ammo seems to be better quality than your average 22LR. I have never had a misfire on any Remington or cci wmr firing hundreds of rounds thru my PMR 30.
    That's a pretty good endorsement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links