Springfield XD Mod2 5" Tactical or S&W M&P M2.0 5" ?

This is a discussion on Springfield XD Mod2 5" Tactical or S&W M&P M2.0 5" ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the right area to post since these guns aren't technically 'carry guns'. I'm thinking of getting something different for IDPA ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Springfield XD Mod2 5" Tactical or S&W M&P M2.0 5" ?

Not sure if this is the right area to post since these guns aren't technically 'carry guns'.
    I'm thinking of getting something different for IDPA and range/home use. I wasn't real happy with the performance of my Ruger 9E with the 4 or 5 light strikes it had. Other than that, it was fine, but if I'm going to continue shooting IDPA, I'd like something that would run better and maybe be more accurate. I know the Ruger SR's are kind of known for light strikes, but I haven't had too many issues after the first few hundred rounds till now. I could possibly need a good cleaning, but that aside, i still might like something new.
    Does anyone have any experience with either, or both of these? Which do you like better? why? I think I'm going to rent them, if available, next time I'm at the range.
    Thanks for any input you have.

Hmm, having shot both of these myself (non-competition), I'd have to give it to the M&P overall. The trigger on the XD is better in my own opinion (again, from a non-competition perspective), but I like the M&P grip more, it's slightly lighter if I remember right, and it just feels better in my hand. I also shot the M&P a little bit better. The M&P also tends to run a little cheaper as well, so there is that if it matters. You might want to talk to the competitor members here though, they might completely disagree.

I owned 2 XDm 5.25" competition pistols, but not the XD 5" handgun, so my opinion can only be based on the XDm, which from all accounts has a slightly better trigger than the XD. I have owned just about every flavor of M&P, including 2 M&P m2.0 pistols in .40S&W and 9mm, and I can say without hesitation that the m2.0 trigger is simply awesome! (If you know how and where to polish the striker dog leg.)

Between the two, I would go with the M&P m2.0 all day, every day. It does have the better trigger that now needs no Apex or Powder River upgrades, and both of my examples shoot POA as tight as my competition PPQ and 1911. Getting a 2.25" group from an unsupported position at 25 yards is about as good as you will find from a polymer pistol, and that is just what the video below shows from my M&P40 m2.0. (Only the 4" model to boot)

My XDm 5.25s shot pretty well, but not as well as the M&P m2.0. In the video, I blurt out "not one of my best", but I was not thinking about the group being from a standing, non-supported position. What I should have said is that "this was one of my best 25-yard groups from a standing position".
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states).

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    I would go S&W MP.

I'll preface this by saying I don't shoot competition and I haven't shot either of the pistols mentioned, but I have a xd mod.2 9mm 3" subcompact and I absolutely love it! The trigger is one of the best I've ever pulled. Maybe not better than an m&p 2.0, although it's not gritty like the m&p 2.0, but definitely better than the original m&p, better even than my sig p320. It also fits my hand exceptionally well. I'm dying to get a 4 or 5" :-) that would definitely be my choice between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like everything about my M&P 2.0 5" but the trigger. It still needs some work in my opinion. There is some creep before it breaks if that makes sense. It may be just mine and it is still very new. Only 100 rounds through it so far with no operational issues yet. It is my most comfortable gun to hold and shoot by a decent margin.

Haven't fired an XD in years so I can't comment on that.

I have a XD service, XD Mod2, and a XDm. I have some experience with M&Ps. I recommend either the XD Mod2 5" or XDM over the M&P.

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    M&P 2.0. They are the second most popular line of polymer pistols behind Glock for a reason. XDs have a subpar reputation among serious shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    M&P 2.0. They are the second most popular line of polymer pistols behind Glock for a reason. XDs have a subpar reputation among serious shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a new one to me especially being that Glocks, M&Ps, and XD's are the most popular pistols used in IDPA according to their own stats.

I just got a XD Mod2 3" sub compact. Very nice. It's a carry gun all the way so the trigger is fine.

I have the M&P 2.0 in 40 and absolutely love it. It's my favorite range gun and is my primary HD . Installed Trijicon HD night sights and a TLR-1 HL light.

VIP Member
    I have both. Both have been customized heavily. My M&P is sporting a TLR-1 and is my RV nightstand gun. It's the Springfield Mod 2 Tactical that gets carried.

If I had to choose, it's an easy choice for me: Springfield.
    HoustonB77 and TeflonDon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    I have both. Both have been customized heavily. My M&P is sporting a TLR-1 and is my RV nightstand gun. It's the Springfield Mod 2 Tactical that gets carried.

If I had to choose, it's an easy choice for me: Springfield.
    You need to pick up the sub compact mod2 45 also if you haven't already. Get gun and easy to carry as the come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonB77 View Post
    You need to pick up the sub compact mod2 45 also if you haven't already. Get gun and easy to carry as the come.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Already have a Shield 9mm and an XDs 45 for subcompact carry guns. And I love the Shield. Even though it's uglier than a Glock. So I'm stuck with what I have right now.

I have a lot of... indirect experience, that is to say, experience with other similar models but not the exact ones inquired about.

9E: the reason you are getting light strikes is because of the magout safety that Ruger installs in most of their handguns which prevent the gun from firing without the magazine inserted. gunk, or grease can prevent it from fully depressing which will cause it to drag on the striker, preventing it from hitting the primer with full force. loosely fitted magazines can also cause this. it is for that reason that I have removed it on every SR series handgun I've owned(3 to be exact). I have never had a single light strike on any of them after removing(most had them prior to removing). it is not difficult to take them out, there are tons of vids on youtube about it. (now prepare for the myriads of responses warning about the legal dangers of removing safety devices...). I used to have the 9E, it was a nice cheap gun, and quite accurate, but I am very impressed that you have been competing with it.

XD: I've owned or shot a few dozen XDs of varying models, sizes, calibers and lines(XD XDM, XD-s). the XD mod 2 is quite nice given its price point, but I wouldn't exactly call it a competition model. the triggers aren't super great, but I would put them above the M&P lineup(even their pro models). they are a bit squishy though until you get used to them. I am not certain but I recall hearing that some of the competition communities will not let you compete with SAO models, in that's the case then the XD might not be legal to compete with and you'll have to find something else that's DAO like Glocks(or your 9E), etc. the ammo capacity of the XD is pretty low by today's standards, 16 rounds for the 9mm models. if I were looking to upgrade from the 9E or any SR series handgun, I would make the full jump to the XDM 5.25. you still get the nicer sights but also have the option to fine tune the sights, as well as 19 round capacity(9mm models), a better trigger, and the replaceable backstraps(not a feature of the mod2). it is a bit more expensive than the XD, usually about $150 to $200 more, but it's well worth it in my opinion, especially for an entry level comp model.

M&P: I have less experience with the M&P line, but I do own one, and have fired a few others. the main, (and in my opinion the only advantage that the M&P has over the XD lineup) is the ergonomics. the 2.0 has more aggressive grip texturing than any of the XD lines so that might be better for stressful sweaty hands. other than that I can think of no comparison in which the M&P is better than the XD. both have about the same aftermarket support, competition upgrades, etc.
    TeflonDon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links