New Colt Cobra ? - Page 4

New Colt Cobra ?

This is a discussion on New Colt Cobra ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My old Smith Airweight was a .357, and young airhead that I was, the thrill of those high speed .357s, coupled with the "flashbang in ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: New Colt Cobra ?

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array OldChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,047
    My old Smith Airweight was a .357, and young airhead that I was, the thrill of those high speed .357s, coupled with the "flashbang in the hand" experience, sort of burned me out on it. I sold it to a guy who really wanted one. Now I kinda wish I owned it again. It was a real hoot at a darkened indoor range. I never failed to get the whole place to myself after about three rounds!

  2. #47
    Member Array Glocking26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Glen Mills Pa
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    when the LCR first came out I handled two at my LGS and both were grossly out of time, one I could even turn the cylinder by hand, I haven't looked into the LCR again, guessing it was only those two examples, or Ruger corrected the issue because it's a very popular revolver.
    Don't give up on them just yet. If you can rent one at the range give it shot you my just like them. They make them now in all different calibers hammer no hammer different barrel lengths.

  3. #48
    VIP Member
    Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Miami Fla and TN
    Posts
    2,440
    another overpriced Colt as far as I am concerned
    They dont make enough and the stores get handed one
    here or there if you are on the good guy list and most
    stores slap em on Gunbroker because they can get massive
    margins that way

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #49
    Senior Member Array GreenMan0352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    DENVER CITY, TX
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    the Kimber K6S is beginning to look as a good available option.
    Ha, I'd argue the LCR .327 is looking better and better. It's got more umph than .38 +p, close to .357 in fact, yet you can get 6 shots in a "j frame" and new they cost ~$500. The only downside is you have to order ammo (and it's still expensive) or reload.

    But I kinda wanted to start reloading anyway, and it seems like I can buy a decent reloading setup for less than the difference in cost between a LCR and K6S.
    I'm not sure I understand your argument regarding the .327 having more power than the .38+p are you comparing it to the cobra? If so I get you, however if comparing to the kimber then the kimber fires .357

  6. #50
    Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    1,914
    Turned mine in as it was a Jam-O-Matic.

  7. #51
    VIP Member Array SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,378
    The one I would like to have is the King Cobra. My Son won't give back the one I gave him. I like them better then the S&W L-frames.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

  8. #52
    Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMan0352 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your argument regarding the .327 having more power than the .38+p are you comparing it to the cobra? If so I get you, however if comparing to the kimber then the kimber fires .357
    I'd sum it up like this:

    1. .327 FED MAG offers performance that is better than most commercially available 38 SPL +P loads
    2. You get 6 rounds in a J frame sized gun
    3. Many, if not most, folks who carry .357 snubbies load them with 38 SPL +P anyway
    4. The LCR 327 only costs $500ish and is fairly easy to find

    I'm not saying the LCR is comparable to the Kimber so much as I'm saying the LCR is cheaper, easier to find, has a great trigger, and is quite possibly a more potent caliber (unless the owner plans to carry it with real .357 MAG SD loads).

    Don't get me wrong - the Kimbers look like sweet guns, and I'm not at all saying the .327 is superior or even really comparable to the .357.
    Last edited by drmordo; June 11th, 2017 at 10:44 AM.

  9. #53
    Member Array Glocking26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Glen Mills Pa
    Posts
    226
    I have both The Kimber and the LCR 327 and carry the LCR 24/7 it's weights 19.3 oz loaded. Don't get me wrong the Kimber is great gun but feels like a brick compared the the LCR. It seems like between 327 federal magnum is starting to get popular because ammo is starting to be easier to find still expensive but easier to find.
    drmordo likes this.

  10. #54
    VIP Member
    Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Miami Fla and TN
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    I have both The Kimber and the LCR 327 and carry the LCR 24/7 it's weights 19.3 oz loaded. Don't get me wrong the Kimber is great gun but feels like a brick compared the the LCR. It seems like between 327 federal magnum is starting to get popular because ammo is starting to be easier to find still expensive but easier to find.
    Kimber is nice if you want a steel revolver its the smallest and well reviewed
    and priced correctly for the market place..Colt no matter what it makes you are paying
    for the Logo..
    drmordo likes this.

  11. #55
    Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,733
    Here's a review that compares the Kimber and the 640. I think it's pretty interesting. According to his side by side comparison, the Kimber and 640 are virtually identical in size and weight, and big differences are the trigger and 6 shot cylinder.

    Kimber K6S Revolver

  12. #56
    Ex Member Array TommyGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Laguna Beach
    Posts
    88
    A S&W Model 60 is tough to beat.

    I'd love to own a new Cobra. It's supposed to be +P rated.

    the FBI load is superior to any .327 Fed Mag round.

  13. #57
    VIP Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    15,792
    It says +P right on the barrel. At least the one I held.

  14. #58
    Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGunn View Post
    A S&W Model 60 is tough to beat.

    I'd love to own a new Cobra. It's supposed to be +P rated.

    the FBI load is superior to any .327 Fed Mag round.
    You may very well be right about the FBI load, and at the very least its been extensively battle tested.

    That said, for example Remington's version of the FBI load fires a 158gr @ 900 fps = 284 ft.lbs.

    Meanwhile, the Speer's Gold Dot 327 MAG manages a 100gr @ 1500 fps = 500 ft.lbs. (That stuff must be really hot!) Even the Federal 80gr manages 1400 fps for 370 ft.lbs.

    Sure, Buffalo Bore makes crazy loadings that trump all of these to include a .38 spl load that is basically a .357 in a spl case, and folks can handload whatever the heck they want. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are with overloaded cartridges. And like I said, the FBI load has a lot of credibility. From my perspective, the selling points for the .327 is it offers performance at least comparable to the hotter .38 spl loads, and you get 6 bullets in a J frame body.
    Petroleum 1 likes this.

  15. #59
    Ex Member Array TommyGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Laguna Beach
    Posts
    88
    Good Morning, drmordo,

    I never read ballistic tables. They're deceiving. They're only utility is index of nebulous value.

    I'd recommend your accessing the FBI handgun ammo test.

    Also, momentum is a more credible index than ballistic tables. A bullet is all but worthless if it doesn't penetrate.


    I wish you the best of luck.
    drmordo likes this.

  16. #60
    Ex Member Array TommyGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Laguna Beach
    Posts
    88
    Allz I know is I want a copy of Colt's new Cobra. From what I've read, it's better than the original & it's rated +P.

    I do appreciate a good revolver.

    Many years ago, when I was really bright, I'm talkin' a whole lot smarter than I'm now, I wish I had had the brains to buy a Model 27. Many a handgun aficionado have called it the best revolver ever designed, which is not intended to be a slight to the venerated Python.
    drmordo likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

colt cobra
,
colt cobra at cabelas
,
colt cobra review 2017
,

colt cobra vs kimber k6s

Click on a term to search for related topics.