Comfort vs capacity - Page 13

Comfort vs capacity

This is a discussion on Comfort vs capacity within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by S.A.Reloader azqkr, that Holster System militant showed is not without weight. Besides that it has 2 parts what wiggle and wanna be ...

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree658Likes

Thread: Comfort vs capacity

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.Reloader View Post
    azqkr,

that Holster System militant showed is not without weight. Besides that it has 2 parts what wiggle and wanna be Held by the belt. You allways will feel it is there and drag your Pants.
    You may as well add an bullet proof vest.
    Of course it has weight, supported by the belt. That rig he has posted isn't going to wiggle one bit, I've worn rigs like his for decades. I want to feel it's there, if it drags your pants down, the belt is too loose.

Now off the the fields and spay some more 380 at those hogs over yonder in the next county with you..
    Militant, dp1911 and CDW4ME like this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    azqkr,

that Holster System militant showed is not without weight. Besides that it has 2 parts what wiggle and wanna be Held by the belt. You allways will feel it is there and drag your Pants.
    You may as well add an bullet proof vest.
    Now this is hilarious man. You mention it having weight. True it does-a little! But what gun doesn't? Unless it is a little plinker in your pocket. But I just mentioned in my earlier post that we are two entirely different people. What doesn't work for you...does for me! See, I for one actually love feeling my CCW there and knowing that it is there. Plus, my belt system is so sturdy that nothing "drags" as you mentioned. Everything stays nice and tight the way I want and like it.
    AzQkr, Bad Bob and Rexster like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Now this is hilarious man. You mention it having weight. True it does-a little! But what gun doesn't? Unless it is a little plinker in your pocket. But I just mentioned in my earlier post that we are two entirely different people. What doesn't work for you...does for me! See, I for one actually love feeling my CCW there and knowing that it is there. Plus, my belt system is so sturdy that nothing "drags" as you mentioned. Everything stays nice and tight the way I want and like it.
    Sounds like the voice of experience in lieu of an uneducated opinion being stated as fact to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    If I move from single to double stack, changing out the spare mag holder and holster takes all of 1 minute [ how much time does it take to draw the belt out of the loops, and then re-reblt for christs sake? If I take more than 60 seconds to do that, I'm positively geriatric that day. lol

BTW, that IS a nice rig you posted sir.
    Thanks my brother. I love it man! I have a custom leather set up like that for all of my HK's. I have a few kydex holsters that I carry them in from time to time depending on what I have going on that day, but I love that leather man.
    AzQkr likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    IMO it's not necessarily comfort vs Capacity. It's simply the comfort level you are willing to carry. I can carry my Sig P290RS or a full size 1911 and not give up much capacity since my 1911 is a .45 but I'm willing to carry the Sig but not the 1911 on a regular basis. If I knew in advance I was walking into the worst situation of my life it would be a hard decision to make when deciding to carry my Hi-Power or my 1911 but for daily carry it's an easy decision to make to carry my Sig.

No psychic powers, no rationalizations,

"If I knew in advance", and .... "I'm willing to"

Bad Bob, AzQkr, Militant and 3 others like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

The OP asked about capacity vs comfort. I've read many good responses in this thread. As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and with benefits matter most to us.

One point I'd like to add is that I carry extra mags not just for the extra bullets but to prepare for stoppages. I have found that the most efficient way for me to correct a stove pipe failure to eject or a failure to feed or a double feed stoppage starts with eject the mag in the pistol.
    G-man* and Militant like this.
    O. Lee James, III
    Captain, Retired - Honorable Order of St Barbara
    NRA Life (DV), TSRA, NAR L1

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    I'm just now getting caught up after a busy few days with limited Internet time.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions and experiences. As of this moment, I'm test-wearing my Shield in a CYA kydex holster IWB at about 3:30. It has an adjustable cant, so I tried it rigged for straight drop at 12:30 abdomen carry ... not even acceptable. The gun rides too high and pokes out even against my sweatshirt (yeah, it's still cold here in MN, 48 degrees when I woke up). So, I loosened the retention screws with an allen wrench and am trying it at 3:30 with a cant. Now when I lean back against my chair it digs in to the top of right cheek and lower back. I'm going to wear it as long as possible at 3:30 to see how it goes, and until the weather warms up later today and I can go to a lighter shirt and check out the printing in a mirror.

My goal with any CC handgun is to try and achieve an acceptable trade-off between comfort and concealability. As was pointed out to me a few years ago when I stressed about printing: If you've got a legal CC permit then quit worrying. Probably 99% of those you meet will never notice the gun. What's difficult is bumping into old female friends who want to give you a hug, so I've learned to cover my gun with my right arm/hand and only hug with the left. If it gets beyond the hugging stage, I think my wife will probably intercede
    :-).

I don't currently have an LCP to compare with because it's in my wife's possession, but when I get back to AZ I'll keep trying the pocket carry technique in the holster provided with the LCP2 package. I occasionally have worn the LCP at 3:30 in an IWB kydex holster for my early morning walks in the AZ planned community where we live and even THAT isn't perfectly comfortable, plus I've learned that I have to be diligent about wiping the perspiration off immediately with a silicone cloth to prevent oxidation.

Great to have choices and having a nearby range an hour away with monthly IDPA and BUG matches, which provides a great testing ground for draw stroke, accuracy and reliability against the clock and other shooters. So far, I still sleep well at night with the combination of pistols that I own.
    bsms2 and AzQkr like this.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Of course it has weight, supported by the belt. That rig he has posted isn't going to wiggle one bit, I've worn rigs like his for decades. I want to feel it's there, if it drags your pants down, the belt is too loose.

Now off the the fields and spay some more 380 at those hogs over yonder in the next county with you..

Just got caught up with all the comments on this thread. I agree with what some have said...if it's all you have to hunt with and you're hungry then that's just the way it is. Not so sure that's the case here...
    AzQkr likes this.

A couple of good points to which i replied on my YT channel in the form of a video called "The great caliber debate"
    Lots of it is complete bogus and typical couch commando talk that you need a 17 round EDC to protect your life.

HOWEVER, it's a very personal choice the foremost task of your CCW is to make YOU feel comfortable in carrying it.
    I know EDCers that will carry a small arsenal (in the most literal sense) of ammo on them. 3 or even 4 double stack mags for their Glocks for those hypothetical "what if" situations may occur.

A couple of things you should be aware of, lots of EDCers pretend they are very proficient with their firearm. When in reality, often (and we seen this on our range more than once) they are not. How many law abiding citizens actually have even been in a real confrontation? Not many,i can tell you that much. Not to mention how many are not able to hit their intended target when under stress is staggering high. So in the end whatever they carry? Does not make much difference, look up the video "Firefighter shoots lawnmower man" they are not even 7 feet away from one other, and he nearly empties out an entire magazine. And the man stood up and walked away from it wounded but most certainly not out of the fight.

So does capacity matter? YES, does it mean you will increase your chances? Not sure, plenty of cases you see people miss more than what they hit.
    I can tell you already, that even on this forum there are plenty that never followed classes or had any form of decent training under the belt.

I believe WHATEVER capacity you carry, should not matter to much in a situation. Your SKILL does, follow classes of instructors that know to have a good reputation, learn how to place those bullets on target. I did it for the simple reason, i cannot appendix carry i find it anything but comfy. I do not wish to carry a full sizes M&P 40 with me, or my Beretta 92SB or my Ruger LC9 because i feel that will make me safe as they have a tremendous amount of capacity.

And average of 10 rounds SHOULD get you out of most situations the "what if" hypotheses hold little merit to me. When you start shooting 9 out of 10 times they will go the opposite direction from you. There is always a exception, but that's where you proper training should take care of that a well aimed couple of center mass shots should take care of that. Also do not carry your CCW with normal ball ammo. The times i seen people do that is laughable, use a good self-defense round hollow point to increase your firepower/chances on the the spot.

This is my 5 cents, nobody needs to agree it's very personal what type of gun and amount of ammo you wish to carry.
    I do not tend to go "tacti-tool" on my EDC gear, you have these people that spend tons of money on special made holsters and little trinkets that makes them a more "pro" carrier. It's snake-oil to me, get some classes spend your cash there and keep your weapon SIMPLE, the less you have to do the better in a stressful situation. All your little gadgets and specialized holsters and little attachments on your weapon do not mean a thing, in the end your draw...aim, shooting ability does. Nothing else matters..
    Mike1956 and Rawhide.45acp like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel1980 View Post
    A couple of good points to which i replied on my YT channel in the form of a video called "The great caliber debate"
    Lots of it is complete bogus and typical couch commando talk that you need a 17 round EDC to protect your life.

HOWEVER, it's a very personal choice the foremost task of your CCW is to make YOU feel comfortable in carrying it.
    I know EDCers that will carry a small arsenal (in the most literal sense) of ammo on them. 3 or even 4 double stack mags for their Glocks for those hypothetical "what if" situations may occur.

A couple of things you should be aware of, lots of EDCers pretend they are very proficient with their firearm. When in reality, often (and we seen this on our range more than once) they are not. How many law abiding citizens actually have even been in a real confrontation? Not many,i can tell you that much. Not to mention how many are not able to hit their intended target when under stress is staggering high. So in the end whatever they carry? Does not make much difference, look up the video "Firefighter shoots lawnmower man" they are not even 7 feet away from one other, and he nearly empties out an entire magazine. And the man stood up and walked away from it wounded but most certainly not out of the fight.

So does capacity matter? YES, does it mean you will increase your chances? Not sure, plenty of cases you see people miss more than what they hit.
    I can tell you already, that even on this forum there are plenty that never followed classes or had any form of decent training under the belt.

I believe WHATEVER capacity you carry, should not matter to much in a situation. Your SKILL does, follow classes of instructors that know to have a good reputation, learn how to place those bullets on target. I did it for the simple reason, i cannot appendix carry i find it anything but comfy. I do not wish to carry a full sizes M&P 40 with me, or my Beretta 92SB or my Ruger LC9 because i feel that will make me safe as they have a tremendous amount of capacity.

And average of 10 rounds SHOULD get you out of most situations the "what if" hypotheses hold little merit to me. When you start shooting 9 out of 10 times they will go the opposite direction from you. There is always a exception, but that's where you proper training should take care of that a well aimed couple of center mass shots should take care of that. Also do not carry your CCW with normal ball ammo. The times i seen people do that is laughable, use a good self-defense round hollow point to increase your firepower/chances on the the spot.

This is my 5 cents, nobody needs to agree it's very personal what type of gun and amount of ammo you wish to carry.
    I do not tend to go "tacti-tool" on my EDC gear, you have these people that spend tons of money on special made holsters and little trinkets that makes them a more "pro" carrier. It's snake-oil to me, get some classes spend your cash there and keep your weapon SIMPLE, the less you have to do the better in a stressful situation. All your little gadgets and specialized holsters and little attachments on your weapon do not mean a thing, in the end your draw...aim, shooting ability does. Nothing else matters..
    Skill goes a lot further than gadgetry, to be sure.
    AzQkr and OD* like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Michel1980 View Post

I'll drink to that!
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    All right. Michel1980 and welcome to the forum and this thread. This is a VERY personal choice that - in the end - we all have to make if we feel a need to carry a concealed deadly weapon. What one person feels is minimal (full size staggered mag with two changes) would seem like overkill to many. Again, we each exist in our own separate worlds and the threat assessment varies by location and personal experience. At the moment I'm leaning back towards my Gen 4 Glock 26 carried IWB at 12:30 in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment horsehide holster. Easy to take off and put on in the car behind the wheel and VERY concealable, even under a t-shirt.

Sure, I'm loving my new Shield and during the 3-4 months I'm up north, I think this will be just fine. But, for the majority of the year in and around Arizona, I'm thinking I'll stick with the G26 because it's a proven performer in my hands, offers 13 rounds of 9mm hollow points (HST 124 standard pressure) and will accept a 15 round mag from my G19, which I'll probably carry in the vehicle. Life is good ...
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Any handgun over 21 oz. fully loaded gets to be a pain to carry 10 hours a day no matter what holster you use. It will start out fine when you first start carrying it but over a short time it becomes a real pain and you eventually leave it home or in the car and go out and buy a lighter gun. Me I did the hi captivity 9 mm with extra mags thing but then I figured I'm not going into Afghanistan so now it's a Ruger LCR 38spl. loaded with +p ammo 15.8 oz. loaded or my LCR 327 federal magnum six shot and I work in north Philly if you know what's that like. Guess I'll take my chances:)

VIP Member
    militant,

now that is a nice set of "gear". You may get half an hour earlier up now in order to prepare your gear and set it all up.
    My reason is that is to cumbersome but nevertheless an nice Piece of leather art.

I however settled for this one for pocket carry.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-6-Ambid...6QXWJ76JXQJNE8
    I wanted one which has some sort of Magazine pouch added or better 2 mag pouches and is Kind of square to simulate a wallet.
    You supposed to be able to stick one spare mag in the side compartment and it has another one on the other side. I am sure I can carry 2 spare mags with this.
    If you ever get tired of carrying a gun in it, you can use it for a gym bag.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    Any handgun over 21 oz. fully loaded gets to be a pain to carry 10 hours a day no matter what holster you use. It will start out fine when you first start carrying it but over a short time it becomes a real pain and you eventually leave it home or in the car and go out and buy a lighter gun.
    May be for you. But I still carry 1911 every day.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Sponsored Links