Comfort vs capacity - Page 14

Comfort vs capacity

This is a discussion on Comfort vs capacity within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by S.A.Reloader militant, now that is a nice set of "gear". You may get half an hour earlier up now in order to ...

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree658Likes

Thread: Comfort vs capacity

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.Reloader View Post
    militant,

now that is a nice set of "gear". You may get half an hour earlier up now in order to prepare your gear and set it all up.
    My reason is that is to cumbersome but nevertheless an nice Piece of leather art.

I however settled for this one for pocket carry.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-6-Ambid...6QXWJ76JXQJNE8
    I wanted one which has some sort of Magazine pouch added or better 2 mag pouches and is Kind of square to simulate a wallet.
    You supposed to be able to stick one spare mag in the side compartment and it has another one on the other side. I am sure I can carry 2 spare mags with this.
    I wouldn't recommend a one size fits many pocket sock for holstering a pistol. However, I do have a nearly identical pocket holster that's used for carrying one or two spare mags.

Here it is with a single stack mag, taken out of my pocket just now for this photo op.

Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a one size fits many pocket sock for holstering a pistol. However, I do have a nearly identical pocket holster that's used for carrying one or two spare mags.

Here it is with a single stack mag, taken out of my pocket just now for this photo op.

I carry one or two spare mags exactly the same way - works beautifully, and zero printing. Mags remain secure and correctly oriented.
    graydude likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    I carry one or two spare mags exactly the same way - works beautifully, and zero printing. Mags remain secure and correctly oriented.
    And it keeps the mags cleaner. Dust, lint, or yard work debris like grass clippings or dirt that somehow still gets in a pocket don't get in the mags.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    May be for you. But I still carry 1911 every day.
    And I bet you can't wait to take it off at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    It's part of me. I don't sleep with it on me nor do I shower with it on. I got my first one in 1962 and had one in Nam. Now I carry one every day. Even at 71 years old I still carry one. It's Concept VI Les Baer. But again, that's just me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Comfort vs capacity-concept-6.jpg  

Comfort vs capacity-les-bear-concept-vi.jpg  

NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post

I have one of those in the holster drawer and I may have to try it for my double stack mags...good idea. I normally use a Remora mag holder in a back pocket but, it does not work with a larger mag in a front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I have one of those in the holster drawer and I may have to try it for my double stack mags...good idea. I normally use a Remora mag holder in a back pocket but, it does not work with a larger mag in a front pocket.
    Remora had a good idea, but I find their product too thick. The cheap and thin pocket holsters work great.. often carry two single stack mags, or a double stack mag. Two double stacks fit fine, but to me it's more bulk and weight than I want in a pocket.

A six inch Glock G40 10mm with spare fifteen round magazines covered by an untucked shirt can be comforting.

Comfort vs capacity-rural-carry-1024x768-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    SatCong likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Any handgun over 21 oz. fully loaded gets to be a pain to carry 10 hours a day no matter what holster you use. It will start out fine when you first start carrying it but over a short time it becomes a real pain and you eventually leave it home or in the car and go out and buy a lighter gun. Me I did the hi captivity 9 mm with extra mags thing but then I figured I'm not going into Afghanistan so now it's a Ruger LCR 38spl. loaded with +p ammo 15.8 oz. loaded or my LCR 327 federal magnum six shot and I work in north Philly if you know what's that like. Guess I'll take my chances:)
    25 years ago I started out with a j-frame or 380...
    20 years ago I had moved up to a Glock 26/27 (no spare mag)
    Now I carry at least a midsize Glock (19/23/32/30SF) + spare mag + pocket gun
    Vacationed on the Gulf for the last week, temp 90-92 with 106-109 heat index (miserable) I carried* a Glock 31+ spare mag + pocket PM9 - running errands, shopping, out to eat, ...
    Its nearly as hot at home (miserable) and later when I go to Wal-Mart, pick up a pizza, ...will carry same as I did on Gulf.
    *When walking beach in the blazing sun outside Gulf house I made do with just the PM9, same as I would here mowing the yard in the blazing sun.
    flh and SatCong like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    It's part of me. I don't sleep with it on me nor do I shower with it on. I got my first one in 1962 and had one in Nam. Now I carry one every day. Even at 71 years old I still carry one. It's Concept VI Les Baer. But again, that's just me.
    I'm glad that works for you for me it's a bit to heavy and thank you for your service:)
    Rainsong likes this.

VIP Member
    A bet I wouldn't want to make...
    SatCong and CDW4ME like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Let's consider a hypothetical situation involving a 66-year-old man, former MP dog handler ('70-71) who's been carrying a concealed handgun off and on since 1987. Carry guns have ranged from the old single stack S&W 9mms to double stack Glocks in .40 caliber and, more recently, 9mm, with the occasional .380 pocket pistol.

At this advanced age, with a bit of pudge around the tummy, it's maybe become less comfortable to carry double stack guns due to thickness - which makes it harder to wear IWB holster without digging into the flesh - and due to the weight of a fully loaded gun even as small as a Glock 26 (my current EDC).

There used to be the old maxim: "you carry a handgun for comfort, not to be comfortable." But in recent years a number of main line gun manufacturers have begun producing much better and reliable and lightweight single stack defensive CC handguns in 9mm and .380ACP. And the cartridge companies have helped immensely with hollow point loads in both calibers that measure up favorably against the much-vaunted FBI protocols for penetration, while also achieving very consistent expansion. In other words, since the old days when I first started carrying, terminal performance of modern handguns and ammunition has become waaaay more effective and potentially lethal in stopping a violent attack.

Enter the hypothetical situations so many of us try to prepare for: what are the odds any of us average citizens who aren't looking for trouble like military and law enforcement personnel will actually be confronted by a drug-crazed 300 pound meth addict? I would say, hypothetically, the odds are very remote. Instead, I ascribe to the rule of 'threes' --- three shots, three seconds, three feet for the average gunfight. That's what the security force trainers taught my son 20 years ago at Lackland Air Force Base and that's what I've read on many occasions on this forum and Glock Talk.

OK. If this hypothetical set of circumstances exists in my little corner of the world --- no meth heads, no gangbangers, no 2 a.m. drinking binges in biker bars (let's remember, I'm 66 years old and averse to violence) --- then what would make the most sense? Continue to suffer from carrying double stack guns designed for LE work and gang warfare, or own and train with lighter, smaller and equally reliable single stack guns which might include a .380 pocket pistol?

If there were a national data base that tracked shootings resembling the hypothetical scenario that I might encounter, that would be nice to learn about. In the meantime, I am (hypothetically, of course) leaning more towards comfort than capacity.

While I am retired and have time to burn, I'd prefer to NOT spend so much time pondering such things reading threads like this one. I'd like to resolve the question in my head and, instead, spend my time and limited resources on ammunition, training and action pistol matches with the gun(s) I'm most likely to be carrying for that admittedly rare occasion when I might need it to protect myself, my family and others I deem to be innocent.

Your thoughts?
    My friend is 63 years old. He's been carrying a S&W 640 357 Magnum for years, in the pocket. No issues for him over the long term. Pocket draw is fast. Learning curve of a revolver is higher because of the trigger weight.

I've adopted that method, too. But I also carry a Glock 19 IWB. On occasions I have carried my 640 and an NAA 22 WMR pocket revolver. Again, not a bad option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AzQkr likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Let's consider a hypothetical situation involving a 66-year-old man, former MP dog handler ('70-71) who's been carrying a concealed handgun off and on since 1987. Carry guns have ranged from the old single stack S&W 9mms to double stack Glocks in .40 caliber and, more recently, 9mm, with the occasional .380 pocket pistol.

At this advanced age, with a bit of pudge around the tummy, it's maybe become less comfortable to carry double stack guns due to thickness - which makes it harder to wear IWB holster without digging into the flesh - and due to the weight of a fully loaded gun even as small as a Glock 26 (my current EDC).

There used to be the old maxim: "you carry a handgun for comfort, not to be comfortable." But in recent years a number of main line gun manufacturers have begun producing much better and reliable and lightweight single stack defensive CC handguns in 9mm and .380ACP. And the cartridge companies have helped immensely with hollow point loads in both calibers that measure up favorably against the much-vaunted FBI protocols for penetration, while also achieving very consistent expansion. In other words, since the old days when I first started carrying, terminal performance of modern handguns and ammunition has become waaaay more effective and potentially lethal in stopping a violent attack.

Enter the hypothetical situations so many of us try to prepare for: what are the odds any of us average citizens who aren't looking for trouble like military and law enforcement personnel will actually be confronted by a drug-crazed 300 pound meth addict? I would say, hypothetically, the odds are very remote. Instead, I ascribe to the rule of 'threes' --- three shots, three seconds, three feet for the average gunfight. That's what the security force trainers taught my son 20 years ago at Lackland Air Force Base and that's what I've read on many occasions on this forum and Glock Talk.

OK. If this hypothetical set of circumstances exists in my little corner of the world --- no meth heads, no gangbangers, no 2 a.m. drinking binges in biker bars (let's remember, I'm 66 years old and averse to violence) --- then what would make the most sense? Continue to suffer from carrying double stack guns designed for LE work and gang warfare, or own and train with lighter, smaller and equally reliable single stack guns which might include a .380 pocket pistol?

If there were a national data base that tracked shootings resembling the hypothetical scenario that I might encounter, that would be nice to learn about. In the meantime, I am (hypothetically, of course) leaning more towards comfort than capacity.

While I am retired and have time to burn, I'd prefer to NOT spend so much time pondering such things reading threads like this one. I'd like to resolve the question in my head and, instead, spend my time and limited resources on ammunition, training and action pistol matches with the gun(s) I'm most likely to be carrying for that admittedly rare occasion when I might need it to protect myself, my family and others I deem to be innocent.

Your thoughts?
    Thank you for your service! I am about ten years younger than you, and have been carrying concealed handguns since 1984, when I started wearing a police badge for a living. (Texas had no license-to-carry for private citizens at that time.) I have carried a wide range of defensive handguns, over time, with my most-prolific experimentation period being in the Eighties and Nineties. My carry environment is Southeast Texas; the wet, green, humid, Gulf Coast tropical side of Texas, which has almost no winter, most years. (It is "wet heat," here.) Some thoughts, in no particular order:

I have a G26, which makes sense, as I carry larger 9mm Glocks as duty pistols. In the past, I briefly owned a G27. One problem with these blocky beasties is not so much the width, as that the width and blockiness protrudes so far to the rear, as the full width of the slide extends to cover the striker mechanism. My concealment nemesis is the outer rear corner of a Glock slide.

Total length of these baby Glocks is so short, that they are unstable in inside-the-waistband holsters, if the holster is sized to the length of the gun. A longer holster, sized for a longer Glock, is, for me, more stable and more comfortable, whether the gun in the holster is a G26, a G19, or G17.

I have experimented with single-stack nines, from the HK P7, in 1985, to Third-Generation S&W autos in the mid-Nineties, to a Kahr K9 in the late Nineties. The P7 pistols had to go away due to lean financial times, plus, I simply did not shoot them as well as my revolvers, and I was concerned about the track record of 9mm "stopping power" in those days of primitive JHP technology. The S&W 39-series Nines went away when I entered a phase dedicated to 1911 pistols. The Kahr K9 was nice, but I had to place my finger "just so" on the trigger face for maximum accuracy, a complication which I would rather not have to deal with, when my 1911 pistols and various revolvers had very "natural" trigger placement for my index fingers. My SP101 snub-guns remained my pocket and ankle holster guns, and my 1911 pistols remained my usual carry guns.

With the G26 being so wide and blocky, I wanted to like the G43, when it appeared on the market, but I found its trigger placement to be like the K9, requiring me to hold my finger in a very particular "just so" manner, and its gripping area to be annoying small/narrow, so it tended to squirm in my hand during the trigger stroke. Dry-firing the G43 quickly told me that this was not to become my compact nine. It may be perfect for others, just not for me.

As a point of reference, a Walther PP or PPK/s is narrow, but does not squirm in my hand. (I have a VERY nice West German-made PPK/s.) My "dream" pistol, my "holy grail," would be a PPK/s with the power of 9mm +P, that does not carve grooves in my hand, of course. My PPK/s is not a normal part of my carry equation, though that could change in the future, after I cycle several hundred rounds of a really good JHP load through it. It would probably be a hide-out/back-up weapon, only, as I would prefer that my "primary" handgun have a slide stop that can be manually-activated, in the event of a malfunction clearance situation.

I do not subscribe to most of the Rule of Three. I do like the idea of being able to fire three quick rounds at an opponent, but opponents tend to occur in multiples around here, these days. One or more will step from the car, and the driver, and sometimes a door gunner, remain inside the car. If I am alone, and have room to maneuver, ammunition capacity is not such a priority, so a snub-gun may be well-suited. If I have an infant grandson with me, or an elderly parent/relative with me, or have no room to maneuver, I will want more options. (One option is multiple small guns*, if they fit my hand well, enabling fast-and-quick shooting.)

I do, actually, concern myself with the possibility of crazed drug-"heads," and do not think of them as being confined to any type of neighborhood. Some of the new synthetic drugs make people do very unusual things, and even rich kids experiment with such foolishness.

On comfort: A full-sized, 5", all-steel 1911, if worn in a thoughtfully-designed holster, on a sturdy belt, can be amazingly comfortable, all day. From 1990 to 1997, I wore such guns occasionally. From 1997 to 2002, I wore such guns daily. From 2012, to the present, I have been wearing such guns occasionally, again, after learning that I can, indeed, carry different, specific autopistol platforms, without negative consequences in performance. (I had found it best NOT to use both SIGs and Glocks, but Glock + 1911 works for me.) To be clear, I am not recommending that anyone add the 1911 platform into their carry equation, just saying that such large, heavy pistols can be comfortable.

Nothing in this post is intended to to be a definitive answer. Just "thoughts," as requested.

*For several years, while required to use large double-stack .40 pistols while at work, my typical personal-time carry guns were .357 revolvers; I carried as many as three SP101 snub-guns at a time, or one medium-framed revolver along with an SP101.

Short fat old guy here. I can still IWB carry but am just getting too lazy to. Mostly now carry my 38 Super in a Milt Sparks 55BN right handed OWB holster, I wear a dark muscle shirt with a lose fitting, unbuttoned light shirt over it and the gun. If I do IWB it's in a Milt Sparks VM-2 back at the 4:30 position. Carrying OWB is by far the most comfortable.
    wdbailey likes this.
    Colt Commander .45 ACP (Carry)
    Colt Combat Elite .45 ACP
    Springfield Armory EMP4 9mm

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    Rexster - Stay safe out there. Take it from me, retirement is definitely a chance for 'golden years' if you manage to protect your joints and back, etc.

The difference between me and my experience as an MP dog handler and an active duty LEO, is that I've pretty much always found myself AVOIDING trouble and confrontation, not looking for it as a LEO. Therefore, my needs and perceived threat level is - I'm sure - significantly tame compared to yours in law enforcement.

As for 1911s, that's pretty much what I carried exclusively in the army, but they were pretty typical weapons from the armory, probably dating back to WWII or Korea. Perhaps if I'd gotten into a newer 1911 that had been accurized enough to do the job without being too finicky, I'd have taken that route.

The jury is still out, but I'm pleased to say that I feel proficient with Glocks and the 9mm Shield for now.

Thanks for your input, all of you, and those in law enforcement, thanks much for YOUR service to our nation and your citizens. As for now I wear a paracord bracelet with a thin blue cord in the center of the wrap ... 24/7. I admire the vast majority of the LEOs I've come to know over the years and consider several of them to be friends.
    Rexster likes this.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Sponsored Links