Ruger Alaskan

Ruger Alaskan

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got to try one at my club a few weeks ago. I loved shooting it. Recall isn't bad. I have a Super Redhawk 454 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Ruger Alaskan

Ruger Alaskan

I got to try one at my club a few weeks ago. I loved shooting it. Recall isn't bad.

I have a Super Redhawk 454 in 7.5" but this Snubby has me restless without it.

Anyone have firsthand experience owning one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

No but I do have a Ruger Toklat which has a 5" barrel. I love that gun.

I've handled the Alaskan and it felt great in hand. It will be a handful with hard-hitting 360gr RNFP round. If you reload, you can find what power level that suites you best.

I say go for it.

Do you find yourself having issue with defense against bears?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

No first hand experience, but sure wish they were available when I bought a .44 mag SRH with 7.5" barrel. If I got the Alaskan I'm not sure I'd ever shoot .454 in it, probably just shoot hot 45 Colt or go for a .44.

Finding an acceptable recoil level would certainly be easier if you handload.
    CDRGlock likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I have the Alaskan in 44 mag. I enjoy shooting it from time to time. Put 100 through it in an hour the last time out. Had a custom holster made for it to take up into the Supes a few times.

Well, I put down a deposit today. It will come on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm excited to try my handloads in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    AzQkr, maxwell97 and Rexster like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I have the BackPacker same thing in 44. I have shot a wide variety of loads including top loaded 300 Grain WFN GC cast. That will get your attention. I really like shooting midrange 180 grain XTP and a 270 Grain WFN GC hard cast at 44 special velocity. Mine is carried in a Simply Rugged Pancake holster.

I like it and carry it mostly in MTB bike or woods walking.
    CDRGlock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Congratulations!

Yes, I have an Alaskan. I installed an original-style OEM GP100 grip, which is perfect for my hands. I doubt I will ever fire .454 Casull loads; I wrecked my right hand/wrist in the Eighties with too many big-bore Magnums fired from N-Frames, so will limit myself to .45 Colt, mostly fired left-handed. Texas has no grizzlies, and if I travel to Montana, Alaska, etc., will bring a Benelli M2, too.
    CDRGlock and Rock and Glock like this.

That's my "someday" gun.....
    CDRGlock and DownInTheDark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Congratulations!

Yes, I have an Alaskan. I installed an original-style OEM GP100 grip, which is perfect for my hands. I doubt I will ever fire .454 Casull loads; I wrecked my right hand/wrist in the Eighties with too many big-bore Magnums fired from N-Frames, so will limit myself to .45 Colt, mostly fired left-handed. Texas has no grizzlies, and if I travel to Montana, Alaska, etc., will bring a Benelli M2, too.
    I tried shooting it today until I realized that the sights were not at zero from the factory. They were still way off.

I am going to "bake a batch" of 454 since I only had 20 rounds of reloads. Shot 20 more of various factory ammo. It's pretty stout with a touch of pepper.

I looked at the buffalo bore 340 gr. Then I thought the better of it all. I'll stick to it in the 7.5" Super Redhawk

NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I looked at the buffalo bore 340 gr. Then I thought the better of it all. I'll stick to it in the 7.5" Super Redhawk
    This made me laugh.

I do want a .454 Alaskan, and I'm pretty sure all I'd shoot is .45. I think that's enough bang to make me happy.

The next step would be finding an AIWB holster...
    CDRGlock and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I thought about getting a 454, then I convinced myself the bears aren't that big around here.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    This made me laugh.

I do want a .454 Alaskan, and I'm pretty sure all I'd shoot is .45. I think that's enough bang to make me happy.

The next step would be finding an AIWB holster...
    I have a video on my Instagram shooting just a 240 grain 454 one handed. That's pretty damn spicy enough for me. Hahahahaha.

drmordo likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

There are two approaches to handling the recoil. Allow for recoil or lock down and absorb it. Hickok45 did a nice video on my Toklat and he advised rolling with it. I prefer the other approach. I lock down on the revolver and absorb it.

The 454 Casull can be a handful, no doubt about it. I have yet to shoot the Underwood 360gr that will be flying out at 1,425 fps. I suspect it will be fairly punishing out of my 5" barrel. I can't imagine it out of a 2.5' barrel.
    CDRGlock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    There are two approaches to handling the recoil. Allow for recoil or lock down and absorb it. Hickok45 did a nice video on my Toklat and he advised rolling with it. I prefer the other approach. I lock down on the revolver and absorb it.

The 454 Casull can be a handful, no doubt about it. I have yet to shoot the Underwood 360gr that will be flying out at 1,425 fps. I suspect it will be fairly punishing out of my 5" barrel. I can't imagine it out of a 2.5' barrel.
    I'd do it with the Toklat first before I did it de novo with an Alaskan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links