Is the .380 the New 9mm? - Page 2

Is the .380 the New 9mm?

This is a discussion on Is the .380 the New 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; .380 is better than nothing. A 9mm is better than nothing. Pack the biggest baddest firearm you can comfortably pack and shoot well. Always. Whether ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: Is the .380 the New 9mm?

.380 is better than nothing. A 9mm is better than nothing. Pack the biggest baddest firearm you can comfortably pack and shoot well. Always. Whether you are hiking, fishing or commuting to work.
    AzQkr, drift, CDW4ME and 2 others like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

The only thing I can say about the 9mm Kurz is it is a little better than my Colt 1908 Hammerless .25 Vest Pocket for self-defense.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

My carry guns are all tools. I carry the right tool for the job at hand. Sometimes I carry a large Phillips screwdriver. Sometimes I carry a little bitty one. The big one can handle tough jobs, but can't handle small screws. The itty bitty one can't handle big screws, but is ideal for getting in small places and taking care of jobs where the big one would never fit.

380 the new 9? I hope not. I need both.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mck1975 View Post
    Which round would you rather be hit with?

Your choice will probably answer a lot of questions.
    lol...neither!
    AzQkr and helderberg like this.

I'd like to see a test using a Bersa Thunder .380 3 1/2" barrel loaded with Underwood 380 ACP +P 65 Grain Xtreme Defender up against a 9MM same barrel length loaded with anything but Underwood and see the results.
    Petroleum 1 likes this.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I don't think I would put it in the realms of a good outdoors gun (hiking, fishing...). I wouldn't even put a similar sized 9mm in that category. Unless you are going strictly for weight reduction where ounces matter. And then I would still not be relaxed knowing I had my 380 along with me in bear country.
    Depends on who you're hiking with... remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just one other meal. :)
    AzQkr, OldChap, PAcanis and 2 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by searx View Post
    I'd like to see a test using a Bersa Thunder .380 3 1/2" barrel loaded with Underwood 380 ACP +P 65 Grain Xtreme Defender up against a 9MM same barrel length loaded with anything but Underwood and see the results.
    380 doesn't have a SAAMI rating for +P.

Bersa Thunder
    drift and Eric357 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I don't think I would put it in the realms of a good outdoors gun (hiking, fishing...). I wouldn't even put a similar sized 9mm in that category. Unless you are going strictly for weight reduction where ounces matter. And then I would still not be relaxed knowing I had my 380 along with me in bear country.
    Yeah, but you MIGHT encounter a woodchuck ! And you could take him DOWN. Then you'd be fine.

Unless he was followed by Baby Bear (you're still OK) then Momma Bear. Now you're in trouble.
    PAcanis and druryj like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Depends on who you're hiking with... remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just one other meal. :)

I have heard that for years. A guy who did research on bears told me that bears have passed the first person running and attacked the lead runner and then went back for the other person. I prefer to carry a .44 magnum or a .454 Casull in bear country.

Senior Moderator
    Nope.

.380'll always be distinctly inferior, more feeble than 9mm because it can muster neither the bullet weight nor the velocity of the 9mm.

Only in the realm of wishful thinking on the part of the fan of the .380 is it the new 9mm.

Put a different way, if one was to ask: "Is 9mm the new .380?" that would only be silly so swapping the cartridges in the question is equally silly.

Oh, and the various expanding bullet loads out there don't close the gap either.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Is it better than nothing? Yes
    Is it a great option?
    No.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    AzQkr, CDW4ME and muzzleblast like this.

If I had to carry a 9mm for primary self-defense, I would drop a 9X25 Dillon barrel in my 6" Glock G40 10mm. The 9X25 Dillon is rated at 1,700 fps and 802 foot/pounds of muzzle energy with a 124 grain bullet. It is a 10mm case necked down to 9mm like the .357 Sig is a 40 S&W case necked down to 9mm.
    AzQkr and Bill801 like this.

If you think about how many people are buying .380's now for their first firearm, I can see his point.

Back when I started to shoot handguns pretty seriously, if you were a man, a 9mm was what everyone recommended. The .380 wasn't even on people's radar. That wasn't all that long ago. Then the LCP came out and somehow "legitimised" the .380. Which is odd because the LCP isn't really what I would recommend to first time shooters, and yet I see people buying them more and more as their primary. I think for a lot of people, the .380 has become the 9mm.
    AzQkr, bmcgilvray, bsms2 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    If I had to carry a 9mm for primary self-defense, I would drop a 9X25 Dillon barrel in my 6" Glock G40 10mm. The 9X25 Dillon is rated at 1,700 fps and 802 foot/pounds of muzzle energy with a 124 grain bullet. It is a 10mm case necked down to 9mm like the .357 Sig is a 40 S&W case necked down to 9mm.
    Got a bud that's building a 9x25 Dillon in a glock. He's presently carrying a 10mm glock.

Probably not in my book, but the newer 9mms designs like HST appear to be the new
    .40 S&W.

I took my LCR .357 with 38 Special and my Bond Arms.

Shot the KLCR first.

couldn't hit a darn thing where I wanted to.

The Winchester 130 grain Train and Defend load kicked as much
    as the Bond Arms 45/410 that I shot next.

.45 Colt VS .38 Special:

Two rapid .45 caliber holes in the target with a much louder muzzle report.

Sure, I had to cock the Derringer with each shot but they were within seconds of
    each other.

Only two rounds, but they were BIG ones.

I like my .45/410 better than my KLCR and the LCP II .380 that the .357 replaced.
    As I dropped the magazine with every one or two shots due to my hands hitting
    the newer mag button.

380s do have a place, but not in my carry rotation right now.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links