Is the .380 the New 9mm? - Page 3

Is the .380 the New 9mm?

This is a discussion on Is the .380 the New 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mck1975 Which round would you rather be hit with? Your choice will probably answer a lot of questions. Neither!!...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: Is the .380 the New 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by mck1975 View Post
    Which round would you rather be hit with?
    Your choice will probably answer a lot of questions.
    Neither!!
    drift, mck1975 and ShooterGranny like this.

I have both, so it's all good.
    AzQkr and Wunderneun like this.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Taurus G2C (wifes)

Son of Thunder

Nope...Nada....No way....
    AzQkr and matthew03 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

380 =/= 9mm
    380 is at its best in a P3AT or LCP (pocket pistol) when one can't carry anything bigger.
    can't =/= won't
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Senior Moderator
    You got it CDW4ME.

Only thing is, I seem to always find a way to tote something bigger.

The P3AT here has been relegated to lawn mowing duty in summer shorts.
    AzQkr, grouse, CDW4ME and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.

VIP Member
    I'd like it a lot better if it wasn't more expensive than 9mm.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    After experimenting with a couple Keltec 380s about 10 years ago and then all generations of the LCP, I can vouch for the carry-ability of my new LCP2 ... as well as its accuracy. I shot it in a BUG match, along with my Gen 4 Glock 26 and the Glock was only 1 second better at the end of the day. I placed third with the Glock and fourth with the LCP, out of 30+ shooters (to be frank, one of my best matches ever). So, I'm convinced I can place the bullet where it needs to go in a pistol match with no one shooting back. Real world: who knows? But those are the objective factors I can evaluate as a 66-year-old retired man living in a very safe environment by most measures.

Put another way, if it's more likely I'll print with my 9mm Shield or Glock 26, then it's nice to know I have an alternative in a caliber that has been proven effective in many places at many times around the world since WWII. And in the last 5-10 years, the ammunition for .380s has become exponentially better, so I'm not worried. If I can place the bullet where it needs to be, I am confident it will put the aggressor in a world of pain and cease the hostilities.
    bsms2 likes this.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

VIP Member
    I've got one of those LCP's w/the red trigger.....whatever that is. Sharp enough looking I guess. Have a new horse hide holster for it and extra mags and it's been satisfactorily broken in and proven itself dependable and so on. I hate shooting that evil little thing, it's no fun. Anyway, I've had it a few years now and I bet it doesn't have 12 hours logged in carry. But it has one really excellent function that it serves. Every time I think that that's my only option for carry, I think harder and put in a j frame instead. So in all likelihood, if it ever helps thwart a bad guy, it'll be because it was the one I wasn't carrying that particular day.....I was carrying an alternative.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You got it CDW4ME.

No, not the new 9mm Luger...I hope. Has its place in an NPE where detection is a serious bummer.
    Or the yard work.

My Pico in 380 is a step up from my NAA 5-shot SA 22 LR derringer. It isn't as big a step up as my Model 60, nor as big a step up as my 686+ or Model 29.

But yeah...when I'm choosing between 6 rounds of semi-automatic 380 and 5 rounds of single action 22...I usually reach for the 380.

If I wanted to shoot small game, I'd go with my 4" barrel S&W 22 revolver. Truth is, though, when hiking...I generally carry some candy bars with me. If y'all shot like I do, you'd understand why I carry food along...
    1gunsnowbird and Bill801 like this.

If you look at 9mm from the late 70's / early 80's prospective... 9mm was the new 38 SPL. It took over in terms of guns sold, more rounds in the gun, etc... It was the Wonder 9.

Now skip forward to 2017 , And pocket guns are now the rage. The .380 for the size of gun seem's to be about perfect . Not to much recoil, the shorter length of the .380 allows for a slightly shorter length of pull, and the ammo has improved some.
    It may be just perception but the new .380's are kicking butt at the sales counters. Even Glock had to make one!

So Yea, If you look at it from a late 70's/ Today . .380 is the new 9mm. DR
    muzzleblast likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    No its not....not quite enough horsepower. .355 hole, just the same!
    "The great object is that every man be armed."
    Patrick Henry

NRA Benefactor Member
    USCG Veteran

VIP Member
    Three years ago I had four 9mm guns and a few revolvers. I shot them regularly and carried 9mm.

NOW: .380 is what I can practice with regularly and often and so it is what I carry. So, for this old lady with arthritis, yes, the .380 is the new 9mm. All four of them in my stable. I've helped the burgeoning sales of the .380's.

I have one 9mm left: A G17 which is my bedside gun. If I ever have to use, that may finish ruining both hands. I hope to not ever have to use it.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You got it CDW4ME.

For a lot of people it gets regulated to work duty where you are not supposed to carry to begin with. Walk in with a .45 ACP of what ever brand and see how long it takes for you to be made one day.
    Rainsong and firerat like this.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns:

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Three years ago I had four 9mm guns and a few revolvers. I shot them regularly and carried 9mm.

NOW: .380 is what I can practice with regularly and often and so it is what I carry. So, for this old lady with arthritis, yes, the .380 is the new 9mm. All four of them in my stable. I've helped the burgeoning sales of the .380's.

I have one 9mm left: A G17 which is my bedside gun. If I ever have to use, that may finish ruining both hands. I hope to not ever have to use it.
    We too hope you never have to use it, ShooteGranny - ruined hands notwithstanding.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links