New Carry-Shield 9mm - Page 2

New Carry-Shield 9mm

This is a discussion on New Carry-Shield 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BigTarget ....Does anyone shoot +P ammo with their Shield? What's that like? Thanks! I use +P SD ammo in my Shield, which ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: New Carry-Shield 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by BigTarget View Post
    ....Does anyone shoot +P ammo with their Shield? What's that like? Thanks!
    I use +P SD ammo in my Shield, which is Federal HST 124 gr. It has slightly more recoil, but not that much. Supposedly it has slightly higher velocity.

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    BigTarget - I also joined the Shield bandwagon this summer and love everything about it; now I'm going through my usual sloppy selection process for CC holsters that are comfortable and print the least.

When it comes to carry ammunition, you might want to check out the Labs section at the Lucky Gunner website. They have done extensive ballistics gel tests on the most popular carry calibers. After reviewing their data, especially the 9mm information, I have elected to carry the Federal HST 124 grain rounds in standard pressure. Lots of penetration and very consistent expansion through four layers of fabric, including heavy denim. To me that's reassuring; to others, not so much. You be the judge. I buy my HST at the Streichers website for about $20 per box of 50 rounds. Typically have to back order and wait a couple weeks, so be patient.

Good luck and not only practice, but find yourself a nearby range with an IDPA chapter and take a look at one of their matches. In the last dozen years or so I've found this format to be very beneficial in learning my limitations and those of my CC guns.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Congrats. A good belt is the most important part of your carry system I think. There are others, but I really like my Bigfoot gun belt. I made do with and destroyed several belts that never really carried well. A good belt allows me to go OWB with almost any untucked button up shirt.

I don't know how I did without now.

There are several belt threads on this forum to look through.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Congrats. To be honest my single stack search came down to the Shield 9 or Glock 43. I liked the G43 better but, the Shield was a nice shooting firearm as well. Good choice for an everyday carry gun in my opinion.
    OldChap likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rainsong's Avatar
    Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Does anyone shoot +P ammo with their Shield? What's that like? Thanks!
    I do not. I use standard pressure 124 gr. HST's. One of our members (Shootingthebull) did some extensive test videos (search "ammoquest" on YouTube). He found both the standard and +P HST's in 9mm had about the same penetration and expansion (excellent BTW). I figured why have the additional recoil and wear and tear on the gun if that's the case. Also, it's very close to the standard pressure 115 or 124gr. range ammo I practice with.

I heard he has been ill, I hope he is doing better. He did some great tests on .380 SD ammo and was instrumental in my choice of SD ammo for both 9mm and .380.
    OldChap and forester58 like this.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    SIg Sauer P938 9mm (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

Nice info Rainsong, thanks.
    Rainsong likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Thanks everyone! A story with the purchase...LGS had great price on the 9mm and .40 (no .45 that day). A young lady named Kim helped me that day. I told her I was interested in either the 9mm or the .40. She said "So, do you shoot .40 a lot?". I replied "Never". She suggested the 9mm b/c she got her shield.40 from another big guy that traded his back in for a shield 9mm. So I got the 9mm based on her recommendation, the reports here, research, rebate, and cost. Very pleased with it so far. Does anyone shoot +P ammo with their Shield? What's that like? Thanks!
    I shoot +P+ loads in Glocks and, assuming you're talking recoil, it makes the 9mm feel a lot like a 40! The 40 is a great load. Don't let local gun store myth drive you away from one. Still in all, the 9 is a great choice made doubly so by the Shield. Others on here have the Shield 40 and love them though. As I said, I like my 45 Shield - I've got plenty of 40s.

@Fallsrider - so +p not so bad...thanks, I'll check it out. @1gunsnowbird - Thanks for the tip on Streichers-never heard of them. Seems like a great price on HST ammo. Non +p 124 grain seems available now, may have to invest :) @Rainsong - Yes, if non +p HST is just as effective, maybe the wear and tear on man and machine is not worth it. Nice to know. I hope Shootingthebull is well, also. @Bubblehead751 - Exactly the brand of gunbelt I was thinking about. Should I invest if I pocket carry? @OldChap - Yes, I will have to try a .40. I have a 5" .45 Colt that I like a lot. Hard not to listen to young ladies, especially gun gals :)
    @ forester58 - I was torn by a Glock 43 or 26-two different animals. Price of the Shield plus the rebate was the big factor this time. 26 is still on radar!
    forester58, OldChap and Rainsong like this.

If the rebate and current prices were there when I bought the G43 I would have had a hard time not getting the S&W even though I am still bothered by their revolver locks. Being realistic though the S&W is a fine gun and I was even tempted by the current deals on a 45 Shield. I just don't want another caliber at this point and I have made a commitment to 9mm as my main caliber and yes part of that is cost of ammo. Looking at retirement coming and a fixed income and the 9mm looks pretty attractive.
    I did however jump on the S&W rebate bandwagon and just ordered an SD9 for the home. I guess my S&W boycott is over because I think its a super deal on a well built high cap gun by a decent manufacturer with good customer service. $240 after rebate is LCP pricing too. I don't need it but, wanted one high cap in my possession while we can still buy them. The gun deals right now are pretty attractive for several brands.
    OldChap and Rainsong like this.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    I thought I could pocket carry the LC9s Pro and I know others do. My pockets are all taken with other things. Truth is I OC on my acreage most of the time now anyway. My only regular CC is at church and shopping.

Maybe others can chime in on pocket carry.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

You should not need a special belt if you're pocket carrying. That would be a concern if you were clipping a holster to your belt.

I also pocket carry my Shield. I started with a Sticky, but it was always wanting to rotate slide down in my pants with larger cargo pockets. And it also did not stay in place when I drew the gun in my 5.11 pants, the holster came out with the gun. So I just started using a DeSantis Super Fly this week and it has stayed exactly in place so far, both while moving and while drawing. Very pleased with it. I'm using it w/o the velcroed on flap for now.

Re 9 vs 40. There are threads all over here about that comparison. My wife, who is not a large person, shoots both calibers in our Shields, and never complains about recoil with them. And she's just as accurate with either. Not putting down the 9 at all. Great ammo choices for it these days, and shoots well. But I think I'd take the complaints about 40 recoil with a grain of salt. Proper stance and grip probably play a part, too.

VIP Member
    the price on Shields was had to say no to
    $219 after rebate.......I have one on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
    Congrats. A good belt is the most important part of your carry system I think. There are others, but I really like my Bigfoot gun belt. I made do with and destroyed several belts that never really carried well. A good belt allows me to go OWB with almost any untucked button up shirt.

I don't know how I did without now.

There are several belt threads on this forum to look through.
    That's excellent advice. I only had my CCW for a year and getting a gun belt made a huge difference. I have a Hanks gun belt. Not very expensive and very well made. A good belt is a must.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyToad View Post
    That's excellent advice. I only had my CCW for a year and getting a gun belt made a huge difference. I have a Hanks gun belt. Not very expensive and very well made. A good belt is a must.
    Do you think that is also true for pocket carry?

IMHO, a good gun belt not required for pocket carry. It wouldn't hurt but any good belt that keeps your pants up will do.

I was a hammer gun only guy until the rebate but I couldn't pass on the Shield deals with rebate. Now I love the thing, great trigger, easy to conceal, and fairly easy to shoot well. I can smack the plates at 10 -15 yards so what's not to like. Very reliable through 100 rounds....
    OldChap likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links