Sidearm for Bears - Page 3

Sidearm for Bears

This is a discussion on Sidearm for Bears within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray All dressed up with no place to go. Have "bear-qualified" side arms on hand and no bear within 200 miles of ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Sidearm for Bears

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    All dressed up with no place to go.

Have "bear-qualified" side arms on hand and no bear within 200 miles of this region.

We have local black bear and cougar sightings frequently. A cougar killed and ate some goats less than a mile from our house. I am more likely getting crosswise with a black bear or cougar than a bad guy where I live.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    The reason why I carry a sidearm MOST of the time, my buddy and I were quartering an elk and dragging it to the road. Our rifles were 100 yards away and I realized what if a bear/cougar/wolf decided that they wanted some of that elk?

I did have a 230 gr xtp, going about 1300 fps out of a 460 Rowland bounce off a bears skull which was something I loaded. Buffalo Bore makes 255-260 gr hardcast ammo that goes 1300 fps. Would that have made the difference, I don't know?
    ETXhiker and Nmuskier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    just a couple of minutes searching on YouTube and I found this. I'm pretty sure that if you are loading a real 357 round that it's not bouncing off
    Believe what you want. I'm citing actual occurrence.
    Psalm 144:1

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    The reason why I carry a sidearm MOST of the time, my buddy and I were quartering an elk and dragging it to the road. Our rifles were 100 yards away and I realized what if a bear/cougar/wolf decided that they wanted some of that elk?

I did have a 230 gr xtp, going about 1300 fps out of a 460 Rowland bounce off a bears skull which was something I loaded. Buffalo Bore makes 255-260 gr hardcast ammo that goes 1300 fps. Would that have made the difference, I don't know?
    Yes, absolutely. Hardcast bullets penetrate much better than JHPs. Dangerous animals require dangerous amounts of penetration.
    PAcanis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I would leave the meat. You should be able to walk away without further confrontation. There are very few scenarios where one would need to shoot a bear, IF the woodsman has has been practicing sound outdoor skills. When faced with one of those rare situations, I'd much prefer a long gun.
    OldChap likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member
    I've carried various .44 S&W Magnum revolvers loaded with 240 - 255 grain hard cast Keith style bullets over the years when in bear country (black and grizzly). I think that if I were going back to some of these places I would take a look at the WFN hard cast bullets that are now popular for heavy loads. I feel more comfortable with revolvers than pistols, although I understand some people are fine carrying a 10mm Glock or other 10mm pistol. I've been fortunate as my only close bear encounters have been with black bears, and they were as surprised as I was and immediately skedaddled. I've observed from a distance both grizzly and blacks and prefer my sightings that way. Where I am currently living (Missouri) there are only black bears and they are limited in number and range, primarily found in the southern part of the state. There have been numerous sightings beyond their core range as their numbers grow.

Distinguished Member Array Rainsong's Avatar
    Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Since all I own are 9mm and .380 I guess my best best would be bear spray. But seriously, I know a 9mm won't take out a bear (easily) but we also have cougars in the mtns and foothills where I hike here. Would a 9mm be effective on them?
    Last edited by Rainsong; August 2nd, 2017 at 07:14 PM.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    SIg Sauer P938 9mm (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

There are reports of an Iñupiaq woman in Alaska harvesting a polar bear with a single shot .22 rifle. It is not something I would want to try.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
    Since all I own are 9mm and .380 I guess my best best would be bear spray. But seriously, I know a 9mm won't take out a bear (easily) but we also have cougars in the mtns and foothills where I hike here. Would a 9mm be effective on them?
    I'm willing to bet that 10 rounds of 9mm on a black bear in quick succession would work just fine... I could be high.
    DownInTheDark likes this.

Senior Moderator
    It's said that, for their size, cougars don't take much killing.

No personal experience so can't attest to that claim.
    Rainsong likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    You'll never see the Cougar that gets you anyway.

Bear spray is your best bet. I'll leave the caliber wars to others, other than stating the obvious that the 44 Magnum might suffice.
    PAcanis, bmcgilvray and Rainsong like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    Getting back to serious responses ... I have killed 8-9 whitetail deer with a S&W 629 four inch barrel, using 240 and 180 hollow points (the 240 passed right through the animals, thus the switch to the 180 for more expansion). The last couple years I hunted whitetails with a handgun, I had a S&W 629 with a magna ported 3" barrel. I believe it was called a Trail Boss. Love the size of the gun and porting made it just about as painful as the longer barrel: no better, no worse. But it was a bit easier to carry. I would think with today's loads of 240 and heavier, that could be a sound investment. As others have said, penetration trumps everything else with an animal of that size, so no more hollow points. I'm not conversant with solid point rounds, but I'll bet there's lots of information on the Net.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Here in s.w. Fl. as far from 'bear country' as possible I'm no expert. The few black bears we have are pretty small. Back in '88 my dept. had issued 9mm's for a year or so, none of use were overly impressed having used .357 revolvers since forever. A mile from my house as the crow flies a 4 year old girl was taken off the shore by a gator. The gator was 10'7" 350lbs., fed as a pet by all the snowbird yankees. The gator had been after her dog but missed and took her. A couple deputies roped it after the dive team got too scared. The gator was shot as close to point blank as you get to a tied and taped gator. The 9mm 147gr. did nothing. An empty Sig P226 mag later it was still alive and penetration looked like an inch or so, just scabby scaley flesh. We waited until a game officer arrived a killed it instantly with one round of .357. I fish and hog hunt the mangroves at least a couple times a week. I carry an FNX-45 with 15 Hydrashocks. Sort of off topic maybe but offers some perspective on the 9mm, and I don't care what academics with their "modern technology has made the 9mm the new .44", say.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I fully support "The right to keep and arm bears" but...

I had a Male Black Bear come within 10 yards of me in my yard earlier this summer (see pics). I yelled at him but he could have cared less. He was more interested in my gas grill (which was VERY HOT). He sniffed around and clamly walked away. Here's the pics...

Sidearm for Bears-bear-1.jpgSidearm for Bears-bear-2.jpgSidearm for Bears-bear3.jpg
    "Think Street, Train Sport, Practice Art" - Chris Haueter, Gracie Jiu Jitsu Black Belt

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor
    One winter night (a year ago) a good friend of mine unintentionally hit a bear [in the head with his truck bumper] just about a mile from here. He got out of his truck and was looking at the bear...

Then all of a sudden the bear came back to life and wasn't very happy. He was forced to dispatch the beast with his EDC gun with a couple 9mm Hollow Points to the head. Bear weighed 323 lbs. before gutting.

Another one was killed by a truck early this summer about 1/4 mile from my mailbox. Here's a pic:

Sidearm for Bears-bc-bear-2.png
    wdbailey likes this.
    "Think Street, Train Sport, Practice Art" - Chris Haueter, Gracie Jiu Jitsu Black Belt

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links