Polymer80 80% Glock lower - Page 2

Polymer80 80% Glock lower

This is a discussion on Polymer80 80% Glock lower within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to question whether the grip angle is any different than the standard Glock from. Seems the same. And if it wasn't, it would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Polymer80 80% Glock lower

I have to question whether the grip angle is any different than the standard Glock from. Seems the same. And if it wasn't, it would likely have feeding problems.

It's not the hassle of the paperwork, it's the existence of a record about the ownership of the gun. A lot of people, or at least enough to keep this company in business, what a gun that no government agency knows exists.

Of course, then they buy the frame and all the other necessary pieces parts with a credit card on Midway, and have it shipped to their house.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    To me the paperwork has always seemed like less of a hassle than the extra work and costs associated with the 80%s though. To each their own. It's a cool looking frame for sure though.
    maxwell97, Havok, MMinSC and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    It's not the hassle of the paperwork, it's the existence of a record about the ownership of the gun. A lot of people, or at least enough to keep this company in business, what a gun that no government agency knows exists.

Of course, then they buy the frame and all the other necessary pieces parts with a credit card on Midway, and have it shipped to their house.
    Fair point. I see the appeal, but then 4473's don't really worry me all that much. We're talking about a government that couldn't keep track of the people who signed up for insurance on the government's website.
    Havok, Cpt_Quail and drmordo like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Fair point. I see the appeal, but then 4473's don't really worry me all that much. We're talking about a government that couldn't keep track of the people who signed up for insurance on the government's website.
    No, but they did store 4473 data that they werent supposed to. The insurance thing was a feel good measure more than anything. They actually care about guns.
    We get the government we deserve.

They are awesome! It will probably end up costing more than just buying a glock (it did for me) but its a fun project and if you take your time they work every bit as well. And if you don't have a drill press to use with the jig you can do it with a dremel and the sanding drums just as well. Really easy to do and obviously able to be customized any way imaginable.
    MMinSC likes this.

I have to question whether the grip angle is any different than the standard Glock from. Seems the same. And if it wasn't, it would likely have feeding problems.
    It is a 1911 grip angle. Described on their website.

As for feeding problems, it does not seem to matter. I have watched a few YouTube videos and none mentioned that. Some of the guys were using aftermarket slides and barrels with tighter tolerances so some mentioned break-in issues until the parts were worked in. I guess that is to be expected if you are going for a tighter frame to slide fit. Seems like these are gaining some following as many of the companies that sell Glock parts have sections for Polymer80 compatible components, kits, etc.

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedz View Post
    They are awesome! It will probably end up costing more than just buying a glock (it did for me) but its a fun project and if you take your time they work every bit as well. And if you don't have a drill press to use with the jig you can do it with a dremel and the sanding drums just as well. Really easy to do and obviously able to be customized any way imaginable.
    so you're saying it can be done with a simple dremel, I lost interest when I saw the video using the drill press, which I don't have, did you made a video of you working on it with the dremel ? thanks
    CDRGlock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    so you're saying it can be done with a simple dremel, I lost interest when I saw the video using the drill press, which I don't have, did you made a video of you working on it with the dremel ? thanks
    I saw the same video. He used a drill press, primarily, and a Dremel to just finish up things.

I read about cracked frames in their 1.0 but I know there's a 2.0.

I also read about reliability issues. It may be due to tight tolerances from aftermarket parts. I know I had issues with an aftermarket barrel on my Cerakoted Slide.

I find it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I also have more than enough Glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I don't have a video of it but its pretty easy to do. Just have the frame in the supplied jig and use the sanding drum(slowly of course) to sand the tabs down to where they're supposed to be. I used the smaller size sanding drum to clean out the spot for the recoil assembly. It is surprisingly almost the perfect size. The only thing I didn't use the dremel for was putting the pin holes in the frame. I used a cordless drill and it worked perfectly. Real easy but like everyone says about these kits - take your time!!!
    MMinSC likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I saw the same video. He used a drill press, primarily, and a Dremel to just finish up things.

I read about cracked frames in their 1.0 but I know there's a 2.0.

I also read about reliability issues. It may be due to tight tolerances from aftermarket parts. I know I had issues with an aftermarket barrel on my Cerakoted Slide.

I find it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I also have more than enough Glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    yep, you're right I'm actually getting away from Glocks and was considering the 80% frames, silly on my part. thanks.

I just went to their website, and on the pages for both the full size and compact frames, there's no mention of a 1911 grip angle.

Full sized Features:

Next Generation Ergonomics and Features
    High-Strength Reinforced Polymer Construction
    Picatinny/STANAG Compliant Accessory Rail
    Stainless Steel Locking Block Rail System
    Complete Finishing Jig, Drill bits and End Mill Included
    Compatible with Glock® 17 Compact Frame Components

Compact Features:

Enhanced Ergonomics and Features
    Aggressive and Adaptable Grip Texture
    Blank Serialization Plate
    Stainless Steel Rear Rail Module
    Hardened Rail System Pins
    Compatible with Glock® 19/23 Gen3 Components

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    It is a 1911 grip angle. Described on their website.

I just went to their website, and on the pages for both the full size and compact frames, there's no mention of a 1911 grip angle.

Full sized Features:

Next Generation Ergonomics and Features
    Compatible with Glock® 17 Compact Frame Components

Compact Features:

Enhanced Ergonomics and Features
    Aggressive and Adaptable Grip Texture
    Blank Serialization Plate
    Stainless Steel Rear Rail Module
    Hardened Rail System Pins
    Compatible with Glock® 19/23 Gen3 Components
    I guess what I should have wrote was, "Shown on their website" instead of "described on their website". There are pictures of their product but I think only one is sideways enough to get a good look at the grip.

This part is in the FAQ though:

Since the grip angle is similar to a 1911, is the pistol frame compatible with 1911 mags?

Easiest to just just look at their photos to see the grip angle. I read a lot of articles and watched some videos and that is where you can find more side view type photos.

^
    After much looking, I found that FAQ comment. But nowhere do they come out an say that it has a different grip angle than a standard Glock. If anyone cares enough, I'd email them and ask. I wouldn't assume anything either way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links