Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker - Page 3

Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker

This is a discussion on Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle I may be old, but I'm not that old OTOH, if our life is on the line and there may be ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I may be old, but I'm not that old

OTOH, if our life is on the line and there may be multiple assailants, and there's a 15 round semi beside a 5 shot revo, which one would we pick up to defend ourselves?

The other thought would be, we could make our semis significant lighter to carry by only loading 5 rounds in them.
    I'd pick up both.

Capacity can make the difference for sure, but is it likely enough to make the difference that it's a deciding factor? Not necessarily. Going back to what Ayoob found, sure, there were troopers (four) who needed the extra rounds; but there were more (nine) who were saved in a fight by either the manual safety or mag disconnect safety in the M39's. But nobody seems to mind not having those in their Glocks or whatever.
    1MoreFord likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'd pick up both.

Capacity can make the difference for sure, but is it likely enough to make the difference that it's a deciding factor? Not necessarily. Going back to what Ayoob found, sure, there were troopers (four) who needed the extra rounds; but there were more (nine) who were saved in a fight by either the manual safety or mag disconnect safety in the M39's. But nobody seems to mind not having those in their Glocks or whatever.
    I agree. In fact, I'm one of the few that appreciates a mag disconnect. The city of Chattanooga has had mag disconnects in their semis for decades, and I've never heard of a mal due to one.
    maxwell97 and arizona like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker

First, this is for fun - not to condemn or promote one type of gun over another. So, in that context, here are some things you can do with a DA revolver you can't do with a striker fired semi. In this context, DA is synonymous with DA/SA:

Shoot without a magazine
    Shoot from a coat pocket
    Shoot single action or double action
    Load one round at a time
    Second strike - not only second strike but a completely new round

And some things that won't happen:
    stove pipe
    double feed
    magazine not seated
    limp wrist failure
    following the slide (not freely releasing the slide to chamber a round)
    hesitation due to trying to decide whether to use the overhand, slingshot, or slide lock/release to drop the slide
    out of battery failure
    A white light on a revolver carry gun
    Can't suppress revolvers

So why bring this up? I'm trying to sell myself that it's OK for me to carry my SP-101 instead of my G-19 Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm a guy going from 15 rounds to 5 - that takes some mental adjustment!

BTW, my fully loaded SP-101 3" bbl weighs, just shy of an ounce less than my fully loaded G-19.

Again, this is just for fun, so let's keep it that way.
    It can snag if you don't have a shrouded or concealed hammer.

I love the revolver but the lower capacity of 357 Magnums concern me, hence my NY Reload option (i.e. 2 gun carry).

Now that Kimber brought out the K6s, I feel a lot better with 6 than 5.

Revolvers are less prone to issues running dry except for my Glocks which do better dry.

These make for great pocket carry guns. You're less likely to get discovered carrying if you pocket carry.

BUT I'm a hedger so I also carry a Glock 19 with 15 bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker... (SP101 vs Glock 19)
    Run out of bullets quicker.
    Have 1 shot for every 3
    Wish you had more than 5 bullets
    Harryball likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    It can snag if you don't have a shrouded or concealed hammer.

I love the revolver but the lower capacity of 357 Magnums concern me, hence my NY Reload option (i.e. 2 gun carry).

Now that Kimber brought out the K6s, I feel a lot better with 6 than 5.

Revolvers are less prone to issues running dry except for my Glocks which do better dry.

These make for great pocket carry guns. You're less likely to get discovered carrying if you pocket carry.

BUT I'm a hedger so I also carry a Glock 19 with 15 bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep, and Colt has re-introduced the 6 shot Cobra too.

Edit:
    I forgot: I really like the two gun concept. What really appeals to me about it is the accessibility of a gun from two different locations, not to mention a full, redundant backup.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Yep, and Colt has re-introduced the 6 shot Cobra too.
    I prefer mine from 1952.

Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker-colt-cobra-1024x768-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'd pick up both.

I agree. In fact, I'm one of the few that appreciates a mag disconnect. The city of Chattanooga has had mag disconnects in their semis for decades, and I've never heard of a mal due to one.
    My 3rd Gen S&Ws have mag disconnects and I never give them a second thought and frequently carry the 6906. For every mag disconnect malfunction, there are thousands of other handgun component malfunctions that no one thinks twice about--like mags themselves for instance. Having never had a mag malfunction either, I don't dwell on those.
    maxwell97 and Libertywheel like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I like my G-35 and G-40, but I can't find western quick draw holsters for them. Lots of people make them for a Colt SAA.
    James will make you a custom one.

Things you can do with a DA revolver that you can't with a striker-gun-out.jpg
    LimaCharlie and bmcgilvray like this.

Oddly enough I have found myself carrying my K6s more and more and my semi autos less and less. My 1911 is now my bedside gun.

Whew! If I was a BG, I sure wouldn't want to see that comin' at me!
    Actually, the morons would just poke at him and hurl insults until they saw that deep, wide black hole at the end of that long, shiny steel tube pointed at them.

Both sides have a point. If I'm carrying my GP100 and I run across a group of gang members all armed, I'm going to be hoping if I got 7 guys around me and 6 are out, that the 7th guy gets the hell out of there. That said, we've got to "keep it real" as far as scenarios go. Are you going to run into 7 armed gang members out to start a fight at the local pool in most neighborhoods? No. Are you going to find yourself in the middle of a throng of angry protesters throwing molotov cocktails? Not if you stay away from rallies and marches. Are you going to get in a fight with several drunken men in a parking lot if you don't go to bars? Highly unlikely. Yes, there are examples to cite and real life isn't "standard". But there is only so much you can plan for, and so many of these examples that get cited all the time had ways of avoiding them in the first place. The most dangerous place I go these days is Walmart, and there I'm more in danger of seeing severely overweight people showing far too much skin, and carry guns hanging off of butts than I am of getting into a violent altercation.

Crap happens, that's why you have more than 1 gun. If you're a revolver guy, leave the GP at home and carry a couple of 642s or LCRs. You suddenly have 10 shots plus a reload (always carry a reload if for nothing other than bad cartridges). If you can carry one 1911 or two G26s, you can carry 2 snubbies. Instead of worrying about what gun you got or how many bullets you got, worry about your skill in handling situations with what you already have. If carrying 2 .38s/.357s worries you, but carrying a G20 doesn't, you don't have the right mindset to carry to begin with. Just my opinion, disagree to your little heart's content.

Pistol whip like you mean it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    smolck likes this.

It's much easier to lose a round of Russian Roulette with a semi.

The game takes much longer with a revolver.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

With J-frames, you can release the cylinder and use the frame to open the valve of a fire hydrant.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I really miss carrying (3) S&W M15 revolvers in 38Spl to equal the round count of a G17 9x19mm with a full magazine and with one in the chamber. Yep those days are gone strong side, weak side and middle of the back.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links