SKB gun rug to ......

SKB gun rug to ......

This is a discussion on SKB gun rug to ...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Store my CZ in when I have it in the closet?? Anyone use this moisture trapping gun rug? Is this better than storing my CZ ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By lebomb
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 1 Post By lebomb

Thread: SKB gun rug to ......

SKB gun rug to ......

Store my CZ in when I have it in the closet?? Anyone use this moisture trapping gun rug? Is this better than storing my CZ in the gun case with gel packs for moisture? How does everyone store their guns when not at the gun range. I do not want to buy a gun safe though.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Taurus G2C (wifes)

Son of Thunder

Senior Moderator
    I never stored my guns in cases or gun rugs. The case materials probably matter, but over the years I've seen too many guns develop rust ranging from light freckling to serious pitting because they were stored in rugs or cases that retain moisture. I think those gel packs "work" by drawing moisture, which to my way of thinking is like putting a piece of wet sponge in the case with your gun... not something I would do.

If you're not wiping your guns down periodically, then give them a light coat of RIG - Rust Inhibiting Grease on the externals, and run a lightly oiled patch down the bore. That should be sufficient in all but the most humid climates.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I never stored my guns in cases or gun rugs. The case materials probably matter, but over the years I've seen too many guns develop rust ranging from light freckling to serious pitting because they were stored in rugs or cases that retain moisture. I think those gel packs "work" by drawing moisture, which to my way of thinking is like putting a piece of wet sponge in the case with your gun... not something I would do.

If you're not wiping your guns down periodically, then give them a light coat of RIG - Rust Inhibiting Grease on the externals, and run a lightly oiled patch down the bore. That should be sufficient in all but the most humid climates.
    Thanks, right now it's in the CZ gun case on my closet shelf. I wipe it down a couple of times a month with a silicon towel.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Taurus G2C (wifes)

Son of Thunder

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Borestores has silicone impregnated "gun socks" that will not absorb moisture. I store some of my guns in them in my safe because I didn't buy a big enough safe (damn it) and I need to stack some of my handguns on a shelf. I like their products and have used them for years.

Protective Gun Cases Silicone Treated - Bore Stores
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Borestores has silicone impregnated "gun socks" that will not absorb moisture. I store some of my guns in them in my safe because I didn't buy a big enough safe (damn it) and I need to stack some of my handguns on a shelf. I like their products and have used them for years.

Awesome thanks!
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Taurus G2C (wifes)

Son of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post

I ordered a silicon treated gun sock (with pull tie) from midway on sale. $3.99

I will put my CZ in the sock and then in the gun case for storage.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Taurus G2C (wifes)

Son of Thunder

I think Im going to get the SKB gun rug to store my CZ in, since Its for home protection and I leave it on the shelf. I read up on this gun rug and it allows moisture to escape, but does not allow it to enter the gun rug. Keeps your firearm safe from corrosion.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Taurus G2C (wifes)

Son of Thunder

Sponsored Links