G26 vs. HK P30SK

G26 vs. HK P30SK

This is a discussion on G26 vs. HK P30SK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my G26 for a long time. When I reduced my pistol collection down to one, it's the one I kept. I had that ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: G26 vs. HK P30SK

G26 vs. HK P30SK

I had my G26 for a long time. When I reduced my pistol collection down to one, it's the one I kept. I had that single pistol for a long time. The G26 is a pretty versatile pistol. It's compact enough to carry everyday. It's boring reliable, and it has "firepower options." I had the 33 round mag for SHTF situations, ten round mags for carry etc. The other thing the Glock has is, incredible aftermarket support. My G26 was my go to pistol for a long time.

Oh and I know it's not Politically Correct to say this, but I always thought the Glock 26 was a great looking gun too!

So with all that going for it, why would I ever consider getting rid of it? Well, a few reasons really, but the biggest one was the grip and the trigger. With respect to the grip, when I started shooting more and more, and began truly training using the mozambique drill (two to CM, one to the head) I really started to notice it. I found myself "re-gripping" or adjusting more and more. Moreover, as I started taking my handguns out farther and farther, I noted how the slightly left hits started to become large left misses.

I changed my grip and adjusted my sights which helped the missing left, but the re-gripping never went away. Every couple, three, series of shots, I would have to re-grip to stay on target. It's not the end of the world, but it bothered me. The other thing that bothered me was with it being my go-to, when I picked it up to check that bump in the night or go to the front door in my robe, I had a problem. I couldn't put the gun in say my robe pocket when I noted it was my neighbour or nothing at all. What with it being a striker fired pistol and all, I would have to leave it on a table or bring my holster with me every time - neither being convenient.

So I thought I would give the HK P30SK a chance.

Personally, I think the Glock is better looking myself.

The HK with it's DA/SA trigger makes putting it in a robe pocket in a crunch, is a thing. I'm ok doing it. That solved that problem, but would it be as reliable, accurate, or concealable as my G26.

Well let me start with the "bad." The SK on paper isn't that much bigger than the Glock if at all. But it sure feels that way. That said, if you can conceal a 26, you can conceal the HK. The HK just feels bigger. You know how we say the Ruger SP-101 is a tank? The HK P30SK is a tank. It's just a chunk oh double stack semi. But...

But I've found that that somehow does wonders with perceived recoil. I had to shoot it over and over to confirm this for myself, but I'm telling you, this pistol - to me - is nowhere near as snappy as the Glock. This is truly a nice surprise as nominal as that reduction really is. I wonder if this is an HK thing. I had a HK 308 semi rifle once. It too was boxy and heavy as sin, but when you shot it - it was as though it defied gravity. Love it, but odd.

Anyway, the other thing is, though it's a tank, it's really comfortable. The adjustable grips make for a very comfortable gun... and yes, I find myself re-gripping WAY less with it. Way less - if at all. More at first, not so much anymore. It's shocking really.

I've put a great deal of rounds through the HK now, and ney a single mishap. The thing keeps going and going as Energizer says. I'm 100% as confident in it now as I was in my Glock. Worse still if you were hoping I'd say I missed my G26, the HK is quickly becoming the most accurate handgun I've ever had making me feel that this was indeed the right decision for me. I don't understand it really, but I've been shooting it and hitting with it like no other pistol I've ever had. Somehow the grip must just fit that much better I'm thinking. But it's hard not to love on a gun that sees you hit with it. You know lol?

Well that's about it... but it's not. The DA/SA. Love it or hate it, I sharpened my teeth on a DA/SA SIG. I freaking love it because not only does it make being able to put it in a jacket pocket now and again something you can do, I swear that I think it makes me better at shooting double-taps. Why? I have NO idea. I'm just reporting what I'm finding. I admit it's really odd. But it is what it is. I have no problems hitting the same point in either SA or DA or in SA right after the DA. Like I said, I'm getting way closer double taps with it than any other pistol I've ever had.

I'm really loving on my HK. I didn't think anything would replace my G26, but the more I shot it, the little things became apparent and the HK is filling in those weaknesses. When and if I find the HK's achilles heel for me, I'll report it to you.

I guess there is something to getting to know a pistol really well to find the pistol that'll do it better.

Thanks for reading.

You're welcome

The Achilles heel for me is that the SK's do indeed feel like larger pistols than the Glock 26's, and they are, but they hold the same amount of ammo.
    To me they feel more like handling and shooting a G19, but with less ammo.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    You're welcome

The Achilles heel for me is that the SK's do indeed feel like larger pistols than the Glock 26's, and they are, but they hold the same amount of ammo.
    To me they feel more like handling and shooting a G19, but with less ammo.
    Maybe that's why it shoots so well lol? Because it feels like a full size. Either way, my P30SK is one sweet shooting pistol that'll see me carry it often. Does the VP0SK feel larger too PA? I recall it not as big feeling.

OH - and PS - I got my SK before you got yours didn't I lol?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yes it does feel larger, but that might translate to feels too big for a gun that only holds 10 in the mag

Yes you did.
    drift and Rock and Glock like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    I prefer the da/sa transition on my P30SKS as well.
    I cut my teeth on da/sa guns, so I guess it's normal for me to go full circle back to them in my dotage.
    drift and Militant like this.

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Very nice write up, Drift. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    drift and Rock and Glock like this.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne, "The Shootist."

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm glad you've found your happy place with the HK. There are hard to explain intangibles that make HKs so user friendly. My personal choice too. I shoot many different brands but the HK line fill more needs, fit better and never ever stop shooting. Well worth the money IMHO.

The other thing that bothered me was with it being my go-to, when I picked it up to check that bump in the night or go to the front door in my robe, I had a problem. I couldn't put the gun in say my robe pocket when I noted it was my neighbour or nothing at all. What with it being a striker fired pistol and all, I would have to leave it on a table or bring my holster with me every time - neither being convenient.

Just answer the door naked. The neighbor's wont even notice that you have a gun! LOL

On a serious note I'm glad you fond something that is working for you.
    drift and Chaplain Scott like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonB77 View Post
    The other thing that bothered me was with it being my go-to, when I picked it up to check that bump in the night or go to the front door in my robe, I had a problem. I couldn't put the gun in say my robe pocket when I noted it was my neighbour or nothing at all. What with it being a striker fired pistol and all, I would have to leave it on a table or bring my holster with me every time - neither being convenient.

Just answer the door naked. The neighbor's wont even notice that you have a gun! LOL

On a serious note I'm glad you fond something that is working for you.
    Oh brother, I got no compunction walking around butt naked in my house. Nope none. But where do I put my gun? Be gentle lol.

I have a P30SK and a P2000SK. While I have not carried either pistol, I have been to the range and shot them side-by-side.
    My grip on the P2000 felt more secure in my hand, but I haven't played with all the grip customization yet on the P30SK. My accuracy was slightly better with the P2000SK, but both were superb.
    I'll order some shells for my IWB holster and check out how they carry. The P30SK measures fatter on the grip but I doubt it would be any less concealable than the P2000SK.

I'm curious why you are comparing cross platforms. Assuming you like striker fired Glocks, why not compare to the vp9sk?

I love all different types of handguns but my G26 just works. Every time. I'll stick with it.
    JMag1 and Militant like this.

IMO, the P30Sk IS a good looking gun. I've handled one (never shot one, though) and it felt really good in the hand.
    drift likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by danpoplawski View Post
    I'm curious why you are comparing cross platforms. Assuming you like striker fired Glocks, why not compare to the vp9sk?
    The simple answer is because I didn't get a VP9SK. I thought about it, and posted why I went from the striker to the DA/SA... but never stated how I liked the gun. This was a follow up for those who knew that. I should have made that clear. Thanks.
    Rock and Glock and PAcanis like this.

Distinguished Member
    I've had both: loved the SK; the 26, not so much. Cut down on my gun stash; only reason for trading the SK was for a bigger mag load to use bedside. Might get another one day.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links