Are these markings in my barrel normal ?? - Page 4

Are these markings in my barrel normal ??

This is a discussion on Are these markings in my barrel normal ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; @ SteveB2175 You done good, child! Granny is proud of you and feels that you will henceforth take good care in cleaning your gun(s). Lesson ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Are these markings in my barrel normal ??

VIP Member
    @SteveB2175

You done good, child! Granny is proud of you and feels that you will henceforth take good care in cleaning your gun(s). Lesson well learned.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I never knew anyone that has even been around 30 years who uses the word "dude" to address people.
    I am familiar with Mr. Middlebrooks' work & reputation. If he calls ME "Dude"? I'll answer to it just to hear what he's got to say.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Squibs can happen with any ammo. Freedom munitions name seems to be attached to more bad things than most other manufacturers though, and I doubt its because of higher volume. Whether its remanufactured or not, I have my doubt that they are not loaded using the same type of equipment as their other ammo. I bought some of their ammo for my 300 blackout, and they all went bang, but I was unimpressed with the accuracy.
    I shoot a lot of lead bullets, without much lead buildup. The only guns I have had buildup problems from are guns with over size bores. Because I reload I can just choose a bullet that is a tighter fit to the bore.
    I'm wondering if Freedoms bullets are sized a little small or if the OP's gun is slightly oversize? Hmm?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Dude,

When you SMACKED IT* with the dowel rod, you may have caused the bullet to expand. The BLUDGING RING means you deformed the rifling. Barrels are VERY SOFT, not nearly as hard as the slides.

I hope I'm wrong. Best of luck, keep us informed.

V/R

D.R.

* NEVER SMACK, just tap slowly, many times.
    If the barrel steel is soft enough to be damaged by a bullet being struck by a dowel with a hammer, how doesn’t the rifling get torn out of the barrel with one shot at 17,000 psi?

With all due respect, that doesn’t make a bit of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Havok and ca survivor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I am familiar with Mr. Middlebrooks' work & reputation. If he calls ME "Dude"? I'll answer to it just to hear what he's got to say.
    Good for you that you are so enthralled by his work that you are wiling to be disrespected by the flippant "Dude". I am not. I guess I could sum it up and just use an equally flippant word..."Whatever"
    ca survivor likes this.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

IF the barrel was properly cleaned & scrubbed, then the rifling is clearly damaged.

IF there is a tell tale ring in the rifling, then the bullet expanded when impacted by another object. Usually by another bullet, or an obstruction in the barrel OR it got smacked with a metal rod.

Most guys use wooden dowels, but I have seen them break/shatter and cut the hand holding it. * Brass rods are best but most guys use a metal rod as that's readily available at the local hardware store.

*FYI: The guy who broke the wooden dowel, then used a 3/8" metal rod. He tapped the 200 grain SWC nose and the bullet didn't move. He then SMACKED it and the bullet moved. When he tapped it the rest of the way out, the barrel had a ring in it where the rilfing was damaged from the bullet swelling (much like the photo from earlier on in this thread). I was there to witness it 1st hand. It was a Colt Gold Cup Series '70 barrel.
    "Think Street, Train Sport, Practice Art" - Chris Haueter, Gracie Jiu Jitsu Black Belt

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Sounds like a reason to not buy a colt....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Semi auto pistol barrels are pretty thin walled compared to most revolver and rifle barrels. I can see where a bullet would expand enough to "ring" a barrel if you beat on it hard enough or long enough, or both. Its no that barrel steel is soft, its that the thickness of the wall is not sufficient to withstand the abuse that can be applied to it. There are very few actual barrel steel manufactures left in the US. According to my competition barrel maker the manufactures only make limited runs of the steel due to the process involved and the QC required.

Lead Moderator
    Guys, aside from the "dude", comments are a bit, shall I say, challenging, which is generally ok, but these remarks are starting to focus on a person rather than the topic.

As to the use of "dude", knowing DR as I do, it was not meant in a demeaning way, still in view of common reaction to "dude" it probably shouldn't have been used. But it was, and I reiterate my position that it was not intended to be disrespectful.

DR is what he says he is - a very reputable gunsmith of many years and he knows things about guns most of us, myself included, never knew and never will know.

If DR says pistol barrels are soft, then I believe him. Given, what DR thinks of soft and what we think of soft may be two different things entirely. I do know that stainless tends to have issues with pressure and forces created by combustion such as gun barrels are exposed to.

I have asked DR to elaborate on "soft" so hopefully that will happen soon. As the old saying goes, "sometimes we don't know what we don't know". If this is the case here then we can look forward to learning something about guns.

In the meantime, let's try to get past "dude" AND limit remarks to the topic and topic variations and stop remarks that are directed at individuals - or, I'll have to get further involved.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Thank for all the replies !!

This morning I went out the the LGS and bought a copper bore brush. I soaked the brush in Hoppes (that's all I had and the LGS didn't have any lead specific cleaner). Some scrubbing with the bore brush resulted in this:

Now I must say that taking a picture of the inside of a gun barrel with a cell phone is quite a task. To the naked eye the barrel looks as smooth as a baby's behind. Much of what you see in the picture is reflections. It all depends on where the light is shining.

However, zooming up on the picture does show this:

I don't know if those rough spots are normal or not, but I'm not going to worry about them unless they create some sort of problem.

So, my evaluation is that the entire situation is a result of my lack of knowledge. Here is what I have learned:

1) I have not been cleaning my guns properly. As far as the barrel was concerned, I would usually just run a patch with Hoppes though it and consider the barrel cleaned, occasionally I would run a bore snake through it. From now on I will scrub the bore with the proper size copper bore brush.

2) After cleaning it I really didn't look closely at the bore to really ascertain if it was clean. I will pay more attention to this important detail in the future.

3) I never really thought much about FMJ vs lead bullets. For range use I would just buy whatever as cheapest. I think I will only buy FMJ from now on, and no more reman's (because of a recent squib load).

Thanks again, I feel better now that my EDC snubby is safely tucked in my front pocket..
    A question, that I don't see addressed anywhere else. When you used the dowel rod & hammer to remove the squib, which direction did you go (i.e. did you push the bullet out the muzzle, or push it back through the barrel)?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Subscribing for the outcome and helpful insight.
    "Freedom will be defended" -GWB 9-11-01
    Union Plumber/Pipefitter.Retired.
    Former LEO 1993-2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Guys, aside from the "dude", comments are a bit, shall I say, challenging, which is generally ok, but these remarks are starting to focus on a person rather than the topic.

As to the use of "dude", knowing DR as I do, it was not meant in a demeaning way, still in view of common reaction to "dude" it probably shouldn't have been used. But it was, and I reiterate my position that it was not intended to be disrespectful.

DR is what he says he is - a very reputable gunsmith of many years and he knows things about guns most of us, myself included, never knew and never will know.

If DR says pistol barrels are soft, then I believe him. Given, what DR thinks of soft and what we think of soft may be two different things entirely. I do know that stainless tends to have issues with pressure and forces created by combustion such as gun barrels are exposed to.

I have asked DR to elaborate on "soft" so hopefully that will happen soon. As the old saying goes, "sometimes we don't know what we don't know". If this is the case here then we can look forward to learning something about guns.

In the meantime, let's try to get past "dude" AND limit remarks to the topic and topic variations and stop remarks that are directed at individuals - or, I'll have to get further involved.
    The thing is, for the bullet, when being hit with a dowel to cause the barrel to expand, would require the bullet to be a harder metal than the barrel.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    A question, that I don't see addressed anywhere else. When you used the dowel rod & hammer to remove the squib, which direction did you go (i.e. did you push the bullet out the muzzle, or push it back through the barrel)?
    Here is a picture of the Squib:

As you can see, since this was a j frame, I had to push the squib back towards the hammer. It took about 3 taps to start moving, and once it broke loose each tap moved it about 3/8" with very little resistance.

As far as DRM's assertion that I swelled the barrel with a wooden dowel rod, I find that laughable. Any credibility that DRM has on the topic is cast in doubt by his all knowing assertion that I "SMACKED IT".

I checked my workshop carefully before I started and I can guarantee that I was alone, DRM was not there, so he has little idea if I "SMACKED IT" or tapped it, or if I did a dance to the God's before I started.

Sheesh....

Quote Originally Posted by plumber802 View Post
    Subscribing for the outcome and helpful insight.
    Check out post #35 for my conclusion.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The thing is, for the bullet, when being hit with a dowel to cause the barrel to expand, would require the bullet to be a harder metal than the barrel.
    Nope. Familiar at all with hydroforming? Push an incompressible substance into a space where it can't move, something's got to give.
    Tangle and RETSUPT99 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links