S&W model 38 airweight - Page 3

S&W model 38 airweight

This is a discussion on S&W model 38 airweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; AndyC; If you do carry the revolver and it receives a goodly amount of honest wear and then later ended up in a gun shop ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: S&W model 38 airweight

Senior Moderator
    AndyC; If you do carry the revolver and it receives a goodly amount of honest wear and then later ended up in a gun shop handgun case or on a gun show exhibitor's table, people like me would look lovingly at it, admiring it and scheming to try to acquire it.

It's the refinished or "Bubba'ed" guns that get passed over and not the good ol' faithful companion pieces.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Disclaimer : the following is simply a suggestion that may offer a solution to a problem. Don't shoot the messenger. I am about to suggest he use kydex to carry his classic smith.

Check out aholster.com. Think the kydex may allow pocket carry. Just have to expierment with which items go in which pocket. If you pocket carry a body guard never carry change in the same pocket. A dime could find its way under the hammer.

Kydex may wear the finish but so will dusty farm conditions. I would enjoy the firearm and allow honest wear.
    I have a aholster for my g43 actually, just the g43 is a little larger than Iíd like for pocket carry. The back of the grip sticks up some out of my pocket, but I am familiar with that brand

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    AndyC; If you do carry the revolver and it receives a goodly amount of honest wear and then later ended up in a gun shop handgun case or on a gun show exhibitor's table, people like me would look lovingly at it, admiring it and scheming to try to acquire it.

It's the refinished or "Bubba'ed" guns that get passed over and not the good ol' faithful companion pieces.
    I donít foresee a lot of wear or quick wear as this would not be a primary carry. This would be the im going somewhere that I 100% for sure do not want people to know I have a gun on me and or a place that is posted no guns but is not illegal for me to carry inside.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I donít foresee a lot of wear or quick wear as this would not be a primary carry. This would be the im going somewhere that I 100% for sure do not want people to know I have a gun on me and or a place that is posted no guns but is not illegal for me to carry inside.
    Maybe in those situation you can leave the farm key in the truck and the snub can take its place in your pocket

You can make it work with the pockets you have, or get cargo pants/carhartts with more pockets. I carry a fixed blade neck knife, and another one on my belt at 1:00. Glock 19 (3:00), spare mag (9:00), and s&w 442 (11:00 left hand draw) also on my belt. Phone and wallet in back 2 pockets, o/c spray and speedloader in front right pocket, keys flashlight and lighter in front left pocket.

And I actually have a coat pocket full of about 20 rounds of 158g .38 special Hornaday from going out shooting last Sunday.
    osagemarine likes this.

I may just stick with belt carry for now and stick with the glock. Pocket carry doesnít sound like itís for me
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Bought my 1997 production Model 38 from a Texas police detective who said he carried it OWB in a pancake holster for a couple of years. I have no idea if it's rated for +P. , but have only shot a few rounds through it over the years.

msgt/ret, Haywood and osagemarine like this.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Have a recommendation for a good carry round in this gun? One thatís strong enough to be useful in a threading situation but not to strong for the frame or gun itself? Iíve seen a few say the gun is a little uncomfortable to shoot, but with the 158gr American eagle target rounds I didnít have a sore hand or anything like that. I shot the full box of 50 and quit, but only because thatís all I had on hand.

Also emailed s&w to see about an actual owners manual for this and I also inherited a s&w 25-5 revolver and thought Iíd see about an owners manual for it as well. Given the ages of the two guns Iím not expecting anything but ya never know. Donít really need the manuals and these are not my first rodeoís with revolvers, I just think they are nice to have for everything.
    I grew up reading the old-time gun writers like George Nonte and John Wooten. They gave me the impression that those old j frames were meant to be carried in a pocket loaded with hollow-base wadcutters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links