Laser Sights - Red or Green?

This is a discussion on Laser Sights - Red or Green? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your opinions or preferences on the two colors of laser for CC or home defense? Red or Green????...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Laser Sights - Red or Green?

What are your opinions or preferences on the two colors of laser for CC or home defense?

Red or Green????

VIP Member
    Red, definitely red.
    OldChap likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Green is more visible in daylight but either will work fine indoors.
    Wellcraft1 and Simplylisa like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DPC View Post
    What are your opinions or preferences on the two colors of laser for CC or home defense?

Red or Green????
    If you've ever seen a green laser pointer next to a red one the answer is obvious.
    OldChap and Simplylisa like this.

Green would be my preference.

Green
    Simplylisa likes this.

VIP Member
    Green.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Green
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I have the best of both worlds: My carry guns have green fiber optic front sights and red lasers. I think it's a good combination. As has been said, red is more visible in the dark, green is more visible in the daytime.

Another difference is that according to Crimson Trace, red lasers have eight times the battery life than green. If you have a push-on, let-go-off switch on your laser, that probably doesn't make a lot of difference. But if you have a push-on-stay-on switch, I have encountered a laser getting accidentally activated on hostering, which means your battery is getting drained and you don't even know it. I've also read that green lasers can dim in extreme cold. Both of these effects, battery life and cold sensitivity are due to the fact that red is the natural color of the simplest kind of laser, while making a laser green requires a bit more complexity. More components and therefore more stuff that can go wrong.
    OldChap likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

definitely green
    Simplylisa and DownInTheDark like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    Green is more visible in daylight but either will work fine indoors.
    Spot on correct! All my CT Lasergrips are red, but ONLY because the green didn't yet exist. I will slowly start replacing my red lasers with green. I have three currently. I have on order from the Sig Academy & Pro Shop a new frame for my P320 that has a green laser built into the frame with the activation switch under the trigger guard for optimum deployment. Bought it last July. Still waiting for delivery.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 31 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patriot Benefactor Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor. RETIRED Social Studies Educator as of 12/7/2018

We have both, and will only buy green now. Green is at least as visible as red in darkness, and FAR superior in daylight. Ours are touch activated CT models and battery life seems excellent so far.
    graydude likes this.

I have both and now will only add green for anything new...

Learn the proper way to train with them

Rule number one......NEVER EVER plan on the laser being there when you need it ..... it is often too bright during daytime to pick it quickly... dead battery, poor grip not activating it.. etc...

So I will fire around 3 rounds with the laser to confirm zero then turn it off or tape it over.
    I then do the rest of my SD range session with iron sights only.... I want my natural trained reaction to be looking for iron sights ( and yes my initial reason to go to the laser was old eyes ) my iron sight picture will be blurred but that is how I train including some rounds with no glasses. No my shots are not as bullseye precise but they are pretty tight COM and will work.

This has become 2nd nature after a lot of rounds down range. I will also do some off hand with my primary carry gun. ( I do carry a LCP pocket gun in my off hand pocket and will do off hand only, with it most SD range sessions to keep proficient )

I have set three rounds to one side and when I have finished with the allotted ammo for the range session I will turn the laser back on and fire the last three rounds. I started doing this after not turning the laser back on, tape was obvious the switch was not.

So many ask why even have the laser if this is how you use it?

Well if the lighting is poor enough to make the iron sights not jump out at you then that laser is going to look huge....and you will naturally default to it. ( when you first get a laser , yes do enough shooting with it on to get used to using it. ) Then go back to irons.

If the lighting is such that the laser is there I can engage from other hand positions than the traditional gun up iron sight position

If I have perceived a serious threat and have assumed a low ready position the sight of the laser "MIGHT" be the deterrent to cause the BG to rethink his intentions

BTW back to red or green.... I have found that in a full dark room the green gives off so much light that it is a lot easier to ID your target with out the use of other light I have never felt that red was easier to see in the dark

YMMV
    RonM0710 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Red or green depends on your eyes, not ours. There are shades of red/green color blindness, and I know at least one shooter for whom a green fiber optic front sight becomes a diffused glow whereas red does not. Best to experiment with both and see what works for you.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I see green better so GREEN Plus it's visible at longer a longer distance in bright light conditions . To bad it cost more .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links