Best Sub or Compact 9mm under $400 - Page 3

Best Sub or Compact 9mm under $400

This is a discussion on Best Sub or Compact 9mm under $400 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sammeow Well Academy Sports has the Ruger SR9C Compact for $399 plus tax of course. CDNN Sports has the SR9C for $350 ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Best Sub or Compact 9mm under $400

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Well Academy Sports has the Ruger SR9C Compact for $399 plus tax of course.
    CDNN Sports has the SR9C for $350 w free whipping right now.

The grip on those always seems really long - how does it compare with a G19?

EDIT: Typo, CDNN is offering free shipping, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of you weirdos were looking forward to that free whipping...
    Last edited by drmordo; February 1st, 2018 at 01:59 AM.
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BackpackHunter View Post
    Where are you finding it under $400?

Esse quam videri
    I got mine on a sale at Gunbuyer for just under $400. But that was a year ago maybe.

They have the 4" right now for $373

https://www.gunbuyer.com/catalog/pro...rxdg9101yhc-e/

The Shield is hard to beat for a light, reliable, extremely concealable, accurate single stack. I have both the 9mm and the .40 . I carry the .40 a lot !! I've said it before and I'll say it again.....the Shield is the J Frame of the future !!!
    TeflonDon likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    The Shield is hard to beat for a light, reliable, extremely concealable, accurate single stack. I have both the 9mm and the .40 . I carry the .40 a lot !! I've said it before and I'll say it again.....the Shield is the J Frame of the future !!!
    I sold my Shield 40s&w, but I still have my 9mm and 45acp. I find myself carrying my Taurus 85 Jframe or my Shield 45 daily. Under $400, it's the Shield or PPS M2 for me, over $400, it'll be the new Sig P365 and a 12 round backup mag. No point in going with a thicker and heavier 10 or 13 round double stack now that the P365 is on the seen IMHO..
    blitzburgh and Bigsteve113 like this.

Never much cared for the look of Ruger pistols...But they keep turning them out and have
    what appears to be great customer service.

Ruger LC9s and Kahr CW9.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.

Would give the new Sig P365 a look. More capacity than shield and about same size if not smaller. MSRP is $599. but by waiting awhile and getting on sale might be a little over $450.
    blitzburgh likes this.

I never fired a Shield but I can say unequivocally the 2 Walthers I do own have incredible trigger pulls and grips that fit like a glove.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I recently parted with my last 9mm to finish another transaction and would like to replace it with something I'd like more.

I've long been interested in the Shield and regularly see high praise for it. They can currently be had for $299 + shipping online.

In your opinion and experience, is there anything in the under $400 9mm range that is worth looking at or is the Shield the clear choice?

The gun will see carry duty, probably more so in the warmer months when it may be easier to carry than a full size 1911.

There are several of these comparison videos on his channel. My wife chose the LC9s Pro for her carry pistol. We both shoot it better than any other pistol we own without the mag extension. The take down is a little different, but not complicated. Couple hundred rounds through it without a single malfunction.

I'm sure the others are nice too. Came down to feel in the hand for her (even with her big hands and long fingers).
    wizard7mm08 and blitzburgh like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacklebarry View Post
    I'd choose a Ruger LC9s over the Shield or other single stack 9s.
    Brother Tackle & associated miscreants, I don't wish to sound like a Correctasauras, yet I believe the Sheald is not a "real, gen-u-wine" single stack. The mag is staggered.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Not sure about the nines but my shield 45 magazines are single stack.

Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully I'll be feeling better next week and can see what I can locate locally to lay hands on. Some suggested the Ruger Security 9 and that one has me interested after looking into it. I'm not a big hurry, so have time to look around.

We sure are lucky to have so many options! While it tends to complicate things, some problems are worth having. ;)
    "The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principle upon which it was founded."

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    My vote would be for a Sig P290RS. Mine with night sights was just over $400 but at one time you could find the contrast sight version for about $300. If you bought the version with only one mag they could be found for under $300. I finally managed to get one side by side with a shield to play with the triggers and chose the Sig hands down. Too bad Sig has discontinued them.
    helderberg likes this.
    Joe

I own a Walther PPS M2 and absolutely love it. Easy to shoot accurately, low recoil, and easy to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Scrounge around for a S&W 3913/14/53/54.
    I was lucky enough to pick up a S&W 3914 (Lady Smith with dust cover) about 25 years ago. I unknowingly picked up a fantastic firearm. I've put thousands of rounds through it and it's eaten everything I've fed it and it's accurate. It's been my CC, but I cannot find any good holsters for it. So I evaluated/shot a Springfield XDS, Glock 43, Sig 938 and S&W Shield. Other than the Sig, which retails for about $700, the Shield was smaller and lighter than the others and it felt right. I purchased a Shield 9mm M2.0 (found a sweet deal online), which has the improved trigger and Armornite corrosion resistant finish and it sleeps in a Vedder carbon fiber tuckable holster. The Shield M2.0 is a little smaller than my 3914 and about 8 ounces lighter. I put about a 100 rounds through it last weekend and I absolutely love it.

One potential con I read about online about the hinged trigger is that if your finger is too high, it won't activate the hinge and disengage the safety. I was able to intentionally reproduce this behavior, but had to try to make it happen. I never experienced a failure to perform the trigger pull while normally firing it at the range.

I'm keeping my 3914, but the Shield is my new CC. The only thing I've noticed is that the stippling is a little rough against bare skin on my hip.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links